Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Memories of Jenn

Please post your memories of Jenn Shelton here. The sole purpose of this thread is to share memories of Jenn. Please respect the parameters of the posting. Thank you. To start things off, I thought I would borrow a comment that was offered by one of her friends in a previous post.

*******
Here's a little blurb Jenn wrote about herself-- it describes her so well as a person--

"What can I say? I like to event...you could call me an eventer. Well, I'm in lawyer school and I try to do anything and everything to pretend like I'm not. I do occassionally enjoy acting like i'm 11 and skipping can be really fun too. If you are going to spend long periods of time with me (or even not so long), and if you take yourself too seriously, I will probably nickname you. You may think I'm crazy, and I will take that as a compliment. I will probably take most things as a compliment. after all, it's just really about perspective. what else? i belong on a beach somewhere very warm, perhaps in a hammock with a corona or two in hand. i have a list of places i want to go before i die and my list is long. i believe in karma. i ski, bitch. i want to learn to play golf, play the guitar, fly planes, and oh yes, surf. lately, i've been wanting to take up boxing. hot tubs in the snow make me giddy. sometimes i wish on stars. the sport of soccer has made me who i am today. laughing could be my favorite hobby. you should probably watch me dance. i absolutely hate losing, that's why i win. i wish i could sing. sarcasm is great, so are prank wars. i'm a horrible kayaker. i love to daydream. i've only caught one fish in my life. i'm amazing at procrastinating. early morning is my favorite time of day but sleeping in is perhaps even more incredible. i better still be skiing when i'm 75. i only run on trails and up mountains...treadmills are sinful. i love being inspired. i never want to lose my imagination. my parents and my brother are my true heroes. mangoes are delicious. i like adventure. i almost drowned in a lake once. a good conversation is refeshing but sometimes talking can be overrated. i like t-shirts. i think i trust people too easily. spontaneity is incredibly sexy. my dream job is to work at sea world. hope is what gets me up each morning. i love people that make me love (or just really like)."

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot forget Jenn at this year's barrister's ball. She danced the night away and made the evening much more fun for many of us. She was always the life of the party- free of inhibitions, lighthearted, always happy. Thank you Jenn for making our lives more beautiful and fun.

Anonymous said...

I feel quite badly that I did not know Jenn; and I am very sad for those of you who have lost a dear friend. She will obviously be greatly missed, and I too am less for the loss. I cast about for words of comfort to offer you; I hope that you will accept these that are meaningful to me. They come from the screenplay for LOTR: The Return of the King.

Pippin:
I didn't think it would end this way.

Gandalf:
End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take... The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all change to silver glass...

...And then you see it.

Pippin:
What? Gandalf?... See what?

Gandalf:
White shores... and beyond. The far green country under a swift sunrise.

Pippin:
Well, that isn't so bad.

Gandalf:
(softly)
No... No it isn't.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, coffinberry. :)

Anonymous said...

Jenn-
Thank you for sharing your light and your energy with us. You certainly brightened my legal experience. That is something I cannot often say. My thoughts are with your family. We will miss you.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Thanks for letting me jam my grill into your car after it had been used all day at the softball tournament. While most people would be upset that their door would not close because of the messy oversized grill, you decided that tying garbage sacks together to use as a string to keep the door shut would be an excellent solution to the problem, and it turns out it was...except for the grease that spilled all over your car. Thanks for smiling through those shenanigans, like you smiled your way through life.

"Peace be the journey," Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

You were a great friend, and always there when I needed someone to talk to.

We'll always miss you.

Anonymous said...

I believe Jenn is on those white shores relaxing in her hammock, drinking Coronas, and smiling away because she doesn't have to take her exam tomorrow.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Note to users and DC: I deleted DC's post which was a duplicate of the email he sent to the school re: the Christian perspective. My reasons for deleting it:
1. It was too long.
2. It was an exact duplicate of the email we just received.
3. Although it was inspired by Jenn's passing, it didn't have a whole lot to do with Jenn herself, and I really want to keep this thread Jenn-centric.

My apologies to DC and those who think I may be too harsh in my editing of this post. I am not anti-religion or anti-DC, I assure you. If you wish to dispute my decision, please don't do it on this thread. Instead, email me at antijune@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I remember Jenn's Halloween attire from last year-- what a blast that was-- she brought all the things an 18 year old would bring along to a party! Those were great times!

Anonymous said...

http://www.legacy.com/denver/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=99965494

Anonymous said...

Blawblawblaw,

You should not be apologizing to DC. His little missive was egregiously inappropriate. The mere fact that he would post that here, under this thread, is appalling. But I guess he has no memories of Jenn since he wasn't even friends with her.

I would say more, and castigate DC in the most profane of words, but I want this post to stand for all to read. The CU law community should know that some of Jenn's closest friends are disgusted with him for taking advantage of her death to push a religious agenda. He should be ashamed of himself--but let's face it, the self-righteous rarely see the errors of their ways. Oh, and I'm saying this not as your typical Boulder secularist, but as a firm believer in Christ.

That being said, my favorite memories of Jenn come from the SELSA softball tournament. Jenn loved everything that went with it, from the playful trash-talking to the after-parties. I hope somehow her name will always be linked to the event. And I hope some of the 3Ls decide to come back next year and play for Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Why haven't we been told what happened yet?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe DC attempted to post that religious sermon which has absolutely nothing to do with Jenn AFTER he emailed it to the whole 3L class!!! DC: did you notice the title of this thread? Have you no respect? You should be ashamed of yourself.

My favorite memory of Jenn was sitting on the hill with her first semester, bemoaning the drama inherent to first year law school. She was talking about something serious and important and I farted right in the middle of her pouring her heart out. It was so embarassing and she just couldnt stop laughing. Jenn was so good natured, a genuinely nice person who loved to laugh.

Anonymous said...

DC also had the audacity to send the email to the entire 1L and 2L classes.

Rest in Peace Jenn. You were amazing, and will be missed. We will never forget you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Why haven't we been told anything?? It is so much worse not knowing. I keep thinking about her, wondering what could have happened, worrying that it was something really bad. If no one's going to tell us anything, then the deans should just *tell* us that. If they are going to tell us, they should do so. Not knowing is very upsetting to a great number of people.

Anonymous said...

It's frustrating, but it's not your sister or daughter that wasn't around today for Christmas.

Nothing "bad" happened; whatever happened wasn't Jenn or anyone else's fault. It sounds like a medical issue. It might still be a medical question, though, in that no one knows what happened yet.

I agree it's frustrating, but it's not our place to demand answers, from the Dean or from anyone.

Anonymous said...

In stressed out's defense, I think he/she meant "bad" as in painful or scary, not "bad" as in non-natural-causes. I do think that releasing the cause of death would help with closure, too, but I, too, would understand if the family wished the cause of death to remain private. I have heard only that Jenn died of natural causes. It seems unusual in such a circumstance not to release the cause of death as doing does provide closure and would quell speculation. But I am sure Jenn's family has other things on its mind right now.

Anonymous said...

"Nothing 'bad' happened; whatever happened wasn't Jenn or anyone else's fault."

How do you know?

"I have heard only that Jenn died of natural causes."

From who?

The truth is that you guys don't know anything. I'm supposed to take solace in an anonymous blog posting comment? What kind of soon-to-be lawyer do you think any of us are? If anyone knows what caused it, tell us (and tell us who you are and how you know, please).

When a young person dies everyone assumes that there is something other than natural causes. Maybe it was just a freak deal - but she seemed in pretty good shape to me, and I for one am suspicious.

Anonymous said...

no fo,

young people die unexpectedly sometimes. it happens. even to seemingly healthy young people. is it common? no, fortunately. but it does happen, and more frequently than any young, seemingly healthy person would like to think.

Anonymous said...

no fo don't know,

I know that people die everyday from thousands of different causes. What you apparently don't know is that outside of auto accidents, suicide and accidental drug overdoses are the top killer of people age 18 - 25. Without reason to believe otherwise, why speculate as to any other cause (statistically, we know the answer)? Furthermore, outside of age 0 - 4, white females age 18-24, have one of the lowest death rates in the world - more reason to question as is it so uncommon (yeah, believe it - it is NOT common).

Since no one wants to believe that this (suicide or overdose) is the case, someone should try to find out what really happened. What's the point in all the mystery? Family is important, and privacy is too, but who's privacy are you arguing to protect?

We could use some other clues to .. Who found her - or - did she call 911? what was she doing that night? Was she with anyone? Lets get on with it so we can shut the door on such a dark chapter in all our lives.

Anonymous said...

Wow, No Fo....

Go off yourself.

Do you want the coroner to just make shit up before the test results come back? Oh yeah, that's right; you watch way too much CSI. And you probably think Law & Order is a good depiction of what your life will be like in a couple of years.

Jenn didn't kill herself and she didn't die of an overdose. That's a fact, douchebag.

Those who were close to Jenn have a basic description of the circumstances surrounding her death. But until the final report comes out it would be inappropriate to say anything more than that.

And did you ever stop to think that if Jenn had been with someone the night she died, then maybe that person would not deserve to be put under your suspicion, Mo Fo? Or maybe doesn't deserve to be put under anyone's microscope? No, of course you didn't.

Anonymous said...

The problem is that with us not knowing we are naturally going to speculate.

Latest gossip on the street is that it was alcohol poisoning after a one night stand with another student here and that student apparently left her or didn't realize she was never going to wake up.

Is this true? I don't know but it's what I'm hearing. They need to tell us.

Anonymous said...

What do any of these most recent comments have to do with "Memories of Jenn"??

I think it would be better if we got back on topic and focus on her wonderful life rather than her tragic death.

Anonymous said...

Your "latest gossip" isn't true, no fo can take his statistics and stick them, and anyone who wants to rumormonger because you're too curious as to how your classmate passed away to control yourselves is an ass.

Anonymous said...

The police said no drugs or alcohol were involved. That's the only official word we've heard so far. Are the police lying? Come on. The rumor-mongering needs to stop.

Anonymous said...

Be Responsible, how would the police know whether or not drugs or alcohol were involved? There might not have been evidence of such, but we'll have to wait for the coroner's report to have conclusive evidence on the presence of drugs and/or alcohol in Jenn's system.

More on the statistics: According to CDC, in 2004 (the latest year for which data are available) 6,700 white women between the ages of 15 and 24 died. If you rule out auto accidents, as well as things that make people visibly sick like cancer and pneumonia, slightly under 1,935 deaths remain. Of those, there were 450 accidental poisonings, 594 suicides, 399 homicides, 219 deaths from heart disease, 156 from congenital defects, 70 from cerebrovascular problems, and 47 from diabetes. This works out to about a 3/4 chance that any given death of someone who wasn't visibly ill and wasn't in a car crash died of either a drug or alcohol overdose, suicide, or homicide. And the statistical probability in a case like this, where someone was not known to be ill and was found in someone's house in the middle of the night, is probably much higher.

We shouldn't jump to any conclusions, but if this were something you read about in the paper instead of someone you knew, you'd assume this was a case of too much drinking and/or drugs.

Anonymous said...

I would NOT assume that even if I didn't know Jenn. Your use of statistics is twisted, NoFo Anon.
Seriously, seriously twisted.

Anonymous said...

Statistics person,

Obviously you are really really really smart because you use stats, but could you please use your immense intelligence to read that this post is supposed to be about "Memories of Jenn." Also, admins could you please continue to remove the rumors, as they do not belong here.

Rest in peace, Jenn.

Anonymous said...

The cause is still unknown. I was at the funeral, and they still simply don't know. Modern medicine doesn't have all the answers, nor does performing an autopsy automatically reveal a result.

The symptoms at the time pointed towards some sort of cardiac issue. There were no drugs or alcohol involved whatsoever. There is no mystery/conspiracy.

In fact, almost the exact same thing happened to someone I knew once. He was playing basketball and just dropped to the ground. They just assumed it was something with his heart because they never could figure it out.

Long story short, if the family has to live with not knowing the exact cause, No Fo, I am sure you can too.

Anonymous said...

You can tell someone is really, really experienced using statistics when they apply them to a sample size of one.

Anonymous said...

Agreed Scully 2 Mulder, I know two young people who just collapsed, both athletes. In both cases it was determined to be the ticker, but there was no congenital defect or anything. It's an electrical malfunction in the heart, which has no physical defect-- so it's the wiring and not the plumbing. As someone who has problems with palpitations, this is the kind of thing that petrifies me, but it is odd when it happens to someone who doesn't have that history, even of benign palps.

Anonymous said...

Just so sad. I know I'm probably alone in this, but I would rather go after binge drinking and having a wild one night stand than go because my heart suddenly doesn't work right just out of the blue. Maybe that's more "controversial," but it seems less random and for some reason I could handle that better. I mean, personally, I would rather go that way. I'm just sad Jenn is gone at all, and I know she didn't die the way the gossip mongers say she did, but I'm just saying if it were me and I had the choice I'd choose the more salacious demise. And maybe, knowing Jenn's personality, she is getting a good laugh out of the gossip-mongering.

Anonymous said...

I liked this thread before it degenerated into baseless speculation about the cause of Jenn's death. I wish people would stop tarnishing her memory by insisting that she was at fault for what happened. Those who knew Jenn, know how much she loved life. If you don't have something nice to say about her, how about you refrain from posting or stick it on another thread.

Anonymous said...

I should clarify. When I say it's odd when it happens to someone without a history of palpitations, what I mean is that I always expect something like that to happen to someone like me who has it. I know it happens in people, and especially athletic people, who have no history whatsoever of palpitations. *That* is what I find odd. I don't find it odd at all that Jenn's death is not her fault. That would be my expectation, unlike others. Maybe it's *because* I have a history of palpitations that it seems so plausible that it was natural causes despite her age. I'm sorry if this has denigrated, or if I'm contributing to that denigration. I just know that she died of natural causes and I'm trying to help those who find it weird to realize it's not that weird. Uncommon, yes, but not weird or implausible.

Anonymous said...

Anon 4:25,

Actually, the sample size was 1,935, not one. And it's not a sample, it's the entire population of deaths of white females between the ages of 15 and 24. Jenn Shelton is not the sample, she's one example. What I was saying above is that, all other things being equal, there's a greater than 2/3 chance that she died of either an accidental overdose, alcohol poisoning, suicide, or homicide. Ergo, if someone read in the newspaper that some 24 year old white girl died at someone's house, in the middle of the night, in a known party town, of unknown causes, they would reasonably assume that the cause was one of those listed above. No, this doesn't mean Jenn Shelton died that way. It just means that it's reasonable to assume she did until we have information that proves she didn't.

Anonymous said...

If someone reasonable read in the paper that foul play was not suspected and that drugs and alcohol were not involved, then they would probably stop insisting that this was the cause of death all over a blog dedicated to Jenn's memory, not the statistical probability that she died of a certain cause.

Anonymous said...

All of you- PLEASE stop with the little arguments back and forth, the speculations, and the pettiness. This post is for MEMORIES of Jenn. This post was started as an escape from all of this crap on the other posting. If you all want to keep going back and forth, do it there. Leave this space for the people that care for Jenn to leave their memories and greive during this very difficult time. No matter what caused Jenn's death, she is gone, and no matter what the medical cause, that will never erase the question of why. Please respect the people that need this post as place to remember and love. Gossip and argue somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything,Kent. 14% of people know that.

Anonymous said...

Jenn is missed. RIP.

Anonymous said...

Anon 3:33, nofo, whoever you are, no amount of statistics can change the fact that you are an asshole. Its amazing how cruel people can be under the veil of anonymnity and how brave the cowardly are when they don't have to answer for their words. You want to talk more statistics? Don't do it on the this blog, e-mail me, Mark.Changaris@Gmail.com. I'd love to tell you in person what a twisted little shit you are.

Jenn..we love and miss you. I'll always remember your beautiful eyes and the many ways you made everyone around you that much happier. 'Lawyer school' is going to be alot harder and darker without you around to brighten it up. You are so missed.

Anonymous said...

I always loved watching Jenn dance, she'd kind of hop around. It was heartwarming to watch her be so care free.

Admins, where are you???

Anonymous said...

I am not a main admin, and it has been suggested to me that I not delete comments unless they are overly offensive. There are many on this thread I'd like to delete, but I told the main admin I wouldn't delete comments and that he/she would need to do it.

Anonymous said...

Blaw, why would the head admin not allow you to correctly monitor a thread that you created, asking for people to keep within the "parameters" of Memories of Jenn? Color me confused...

Anonymous said...

I did not know Jennifer but I know I miss her and am deeply affected by her passing. I often read the blurb she wrote about herself and am amazed at what a beautiful soul and wonderful spirit she had.

Anonymous said...

Jenn loved Zack Morris and had the t-shirt to prove it. Wherever she is now, I'm sure she's chattin it up with him on his gigantic cell phone and sending sexy eyes to AC Slater. She went big on St. Patty's day, loved sparkly lip gloss and 80's parties, and kicked ass at any sports she played. I can't believe you're gone, but I'm really happy I got to know you. My thoughts and prayers go out to Jenn's family. She was one really wonderful person.

Rice Eater said...

Now that this thread has died down a bit, I feel the need to respond: I have not instructed any admin to *not* delete comments or to *not* monitor threads. I believe a comment should only be deleted if it is overly offensive or unfairly outs someone.

With regard to speculation over the cause of Jenn's death, I do believe it is wrong to assume it was a particular cause or set of causes because of a statistical likelihood. However, I also believe that these discussions are already occurring in small circles, and that such speculation began right after Dean LT's email. I don't think there's anything wrong with airing out what is on the mind of many, and though I admit this thread was not intended to be a discussion board over the cause of death, that is the path it has taken.

Furthermore, although I believe some of the above comments are inappropriate and wrong, I have not deleted them because I believe any reasonably intelligent person can decide for himself where he stands on the question of cause: the cause is not yet known.

This thread illustrates just how petty and immature some can be with their online persona. I won't change that by policing threads and deleting comments, and quite frankly, blogs exist to give people the opportunity to write whatever is on their mind--right or wrong.

'Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

Rice Eater, there is something terribly wrong with 'airing out' these despicable sentiments. You neglect to realize the fact that this is a public forum that represents CU law, and by leaving up such gossip mongering BS, you are in essence condoning the gossip itself and sullying the reputation of CU law in general. To put it simply, what is gained by leaving up those comments? Very little indeed, especially when viewed in light of the potential for harm. This blawg has been linked extensively. Google Jenn Shelton, and you will come up with several sites linking this blog. Imagine the hurt and pain her family is going through right now in the wake of such a traumatic loss. Then imagine having to read some asshole's gossip mongering on top of losing a dear and beloved daughter. There is so little gained from those posts, and so much potential for hurt and pain that I can't fathom why you don't get off your ass and do something. 'nuff said'

BlawBlawBlaw said...

No, you didn't tell me not to, but you sent me an email telling me I shouldn't have deleted a particular post. Furthermore, you told me that you thought posts should only be deleted in extreme circumstances. Since you are the main moderator, and I am merely an administrator, although I did not agree with you I felt I had to respect your wishes, just as I would have respected Hakim's wishes before you became the main mod. However, I think you're wrong. Period. Wrong. For all the reasons cited previously. I don't know you, Rice Eater. I mean, I probably do, but I don't know what your real name is, although you probably know mine. In any event, I'm not trying to be rude to you, but I simply disagree with you. I started this post, and I put pretty strict rules down related to it. It's not something I normally would do; however, given the tragedy involved, it seemed appropriate-- just as, in my opinion, it seems appropriate to remove comments that don't conform with the previously-cited rules. Like, ironically, this one.