Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year, Stay Safe, and.....

3Ls, we have roughly 130 days to graduation!

59 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! 130 days until graduation, wow. I could do without the real world for a little while longer though. Which will come first, graduation or my Law and the Holocaust grade? The final was about 130 days ago.

cadoner said...

Fuck. Yes.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely not ready for the real world yet. The thought frightens me.

Anonymous said...

Bring on the real world. Hell, bring on the fake world, imaginary world, or paper mache world. Anything world besides the law school world.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Even the unemployed world is better than the law school world. And the working world? Pure bliss. 128 days...Yippee!

Anonymous said...

yep, even if i end up waiting tables at denny's at least i won't have homework-that i don't do and feel guilty about =P

Anonymous said...

cheerstothat, I like my job, but "pure bliss"? Did your only other foray into the working world involve porn or beer tasting? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

blawblaw, Sorry that I didn't clarify...only pure bliss compared to law school. I mean, we get paid to work! Haven't you heard that money buys happiness?

Anonymous said...

I just got my worst grade in law school-- in the class where I thought I did the best! Weird 3L accident! A hundred and twenty some days of this seems too long!

Anonymous said...

Even better. I registered for Trial Ad because I thought I need a "practice requirement" to graduate. Apparently any class that ends in "planning" is enough. So I could have not taken Trial Ad and instead taken RE planning or Business planning and go to keep one week of vacation. Damn.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Trial ad is the easiest two credits you will ever get. The days can be kind of long, but AE is the bomb! Although, I see your point...it won't be nearly as much fun as boarding or skiing all week.

Anonymous said...

The grade status board says that Trademarks is on the channel but it won't show up. I think CG is just messing with me.

Anonymous said...

Re: Law and the Holocaust - I didn't know it took all semester to grade 50 finals. Maybe he is reading them a sentence at a time.

cadoner said...

Nobody expects you to be prepared for Intersession Trial Ad, nor do you need to prepare.

Anonymous said...

Look out for a certain ex-PD at trial ad: her initials are LW, and she likes to name-drop. One Rothgerber cup winner got so cross-ways with her and her ridiculous antics (showing up an hour late, wasting class time with pointless stories, etc.) that she pulled rank and screwed his GPA. (Yes, you can actually get a grade in trial ad if you screw up too badly) In other words, make nice with the not-so-nice lady.

Anonymous said...

William Kristol in today's NYT: " Thank you, Senator Obama. You’ve defeated Senator Clinton in Iowa. It looks as if you’re about to beat her in New Hampshire. There will be no Clinton Restoration. A nation turns its grateful eyes to you.

But gratitude for sparing us a third Clinton term only goes so far. Who, inquiring minds want to know, is going to spare us a first Obama term? After all, for all his ability and charm, Barack Obama is still a liberal Democrat. Some of us would much prefer a non-liberal and non-Democratic administration. We don’t want to increase the scope of the nanny state, we don’t want to undo the good done by the appointments of John Roberts and Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, and we really don’t want to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in Iraq."

What does Mr. Kristol call restricting women's abortion rights and gays' civil rights and marriage rights if not nannying by the state? Hasn't Mr. Kristol read that 2007 was the deadliest on record in Iraq? How can the NYT publish this nonsense?

Anonymous said...

Umm... random.

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Anonymous said...

I could use a little crazy.

Anonymous said...

So which professor is going to be the last to turn in their grades? Based on past performance, I would have to say Campos. But the better bet may be Reicher because the Law & Holocaust final was in late August yet STILL no grades.

Anonymous said...

I'm betting on Reicher. We've probably already paid him, and he isn't used to DM's dogmatic adherence to the curve. I'm sure he also has all of his Penn exams to grade too. Apparently, the bar takes much less time to grade than Law & The Holocaust.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine goes to a law school in Miami, and his professors are required to get their grades turned in 2 weeks after the final.

Why can't CU do that?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a single grade-- not that I'm excited to see them.

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:40. CU does have that requirement. The law school just doesn't follow it.

Anonymous said...

This is getting ridiculous!
Especially law and the holocaust. That better be the best grade I get in law school since he took so much time grade it. Hell just give everyone a B. At least then we will have our grades!

I usually loathe the DU references but I bet they have all their grades by now.

Anonymous said...

DU doesn't have all their grades. I work with a DU 3L and he only has one. I worked with another DU 3L over the summer and it took almost the whole summer to get one of her grades. So, basically, grade issues are not confined to CU. They're not due yet. I think Friday's the due date. This blawg has these posts every semester. :)
However, last year after the snow storm it was ridiculous. And no, I don't have any grades yet, either.

Anonymous said...

I think I remember seeing the 9th as the due date for grades, which is today...I'm not particularly optimistic, however. I heard the dusting of snow we got Monday night really set things back.

I hold out no hope to see grades from certain Ethics adjunct professors any time before Valentine's Day.

Anonymous said...

GET OVER IT.

There were a number of 3Ls that didn't take their finals until after Christmas. The deadline to take finals was pushed back to New Year's Eve in light of what happened during finals.

More importantly, SO WHAT if you have to wait for your grades? Every year people whine here and everywhere else about not having grades. "It must us look bad to employers blah blah blah." No, it doesn't.

Anonymous said...

If grades are going to be late because the administration accommodated Jenn's friends by letting them take finals until the new year, they should, out of courtesy, send an email to that effect. I am sure that exams and grades seem pointless to those deeply affected by Jenn's death, but the reality is there are many in the law school for whom grades and exams remain a very big deal. I am not one of those people-- if I don't get grades until spring break I don't care-- but it's wrong to call out people who are anxious to get their grades and infer that they are heartless or callous because they are anxious for grades even in the wake of the Jenn tragedy.

Also, I will bet that someone will get on here and say that those who were able to RS their exams on account of Jenn's death gained an unfair advantage gradewise. Realistically, it is highly unlikely that they gained any advantage at all. I'm sure their focus was elsewhere and they were just going through the motions.

Anonymous said...

People are frustrated b/c not knowing is annoying. Only exams on the last two days were affected, and really probably only exams on the last day, of which there were very few. Nine days seems like ample time to grade the handful of rescheduled exams. However, half the board remains unlit.

I've heard employers tell candidates to send in their application when their grades are in. That's annoying when the position is filled by the time grades are actually finalized, so I don't blame people for being irritated.

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is who's failing evidence. Mueller's grades have been stuck on yellow for a week now, and I just can't imagine him having a problem with the curve.

Anonymous said...

sometimes honor code allegations hold up the grades. i'd say that's a common, common issue.

Anonymous said...

I think we're about to 75% on the grade board, folks! Lots of activity today. Let's see if DM makes the deadline.

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

Some profs are lame in that they consistently return grades late (ie, PC). I doubt Jenn's death will affect grades coming in on time - every year some grades are late. What irks me is LG still not having CJIELP grades in??? It's a freakin pass/fail course!!!

...back to the idea of, "Oh I can't wait for law school to end and for working to begin..." I say in response - what??? why???

Perhaps the person who said this never worked for years at the same job, or has an awful semester ahead (or bad grades fresh on the mind) or maybe just hates the student lifestyle... Basically, I just don't get it. Obviously, law school finals suck. They're awful and painful; however, the rest of the semester is time for dicking around and having fun - especially for us 3Ls. I plan to take advantage of this time to have fun.

The amount of free time I'll have between now and May is WAY MORE than the combined amount of free time I'll have over the next decade. I expect to spend (at least) the next few decades working somewhere. There's plenty of time for working, and not enough time in my future for free time to do whatever I want.

I look forward to graduating, but for now, law school is the means by which I can have, effectively, permanent vacation 5 days a week until May. For the moment, law school sounds great to me.

Anonymous said...

I have to work, so working and going to law school is anything but a permanent vacation. I can see why you think it's fun, though. As for me, I'm spread too thin to have fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm still missing two P/F grades. I don't understand that at all.

Anonymous said...

I have ONE grade and school starts in 4 days.
There is no snow storm.
What is the excuse this time?

Anonymous said...

CALM DOWN!!! There is no excuse! Grades were due yesterday to the REGISTRAR, NOT TO YOU! Most professors turned them in. It takes a little bit to adjust and curve the grades based on class participation, etc. When grades were due just yesterday, I just don't understand where your frustration is coming from. Relax. Enjoy the rest of the break. Do something fun with your time instaed of whinning about graded. You'll get your grades soon.

LegallyBrunette said...

Has anyone seen the new CULaw website? I like it.
Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I caught it in the middle of the transfer from old site to new, and read this on the screen:

Velit esse cillum dolore quis nostrud exercitation lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Ut enim ad minim veniam, ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Consectetur adipisicing elit, mollit anim id est laborum.

Any ideas what that means, anyone?

And, yes, I like the new site better (no more stuff popping up when you don't want it).

Anonymous said...

CB, people who design web sites use that funny language as a placeholder for text that's not yet written or uploaded.

Anonymous said...

but you probably knew that. sorry. slow this a.m.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I didn't know that (but guessed it was something like that). I put it through babelfish, and it seemed to be something about how depressing work is, and how we should all let the air out of ourselves slowly. Or something like that. I saw it when visiting the grades status boards, and wondered if it were a snide commentary on student impatience for grades in general. Hope your morning has improved.

Anonymous said...

I'm impatient for grades that are yellow banded, of which I have two. Then I have a white one in Ethics and, meh, I don't care. Basically, I don't get anxious until I know that I'm *this* close to finding out how bad they are! Anyway, since I've posted that I'm anxious I fully expect someone to come on here and tell me to GET OVER IT or RELAX in all caps.

Anonymous said...

New website looks great. I really appreciated when they asked for student feedback on layout and such. They've done a very nice job with this.

Anonymous said...

I like the new website. The old one was ugly and outdated. The pictures across the top are still a little odd, but a definite improvement over random faces from classes gone by popping up.

I think we should have a virtual tour on there like UVA does. I mentioned this to Dean Getches last year, but he stated that it was too expensive. Surely, some wealthy alum would be willing to finance the project. Alternatively, we could have some film student take on the project as an independent study and agree to use it if it's good enough. Either way, I think a virtual tour would attract potential applicants. It might also promote interest in hosting conferences here, which are great for networking.

Something else that has puzzled me about the Office of Admissions: they repeatedly sent people on tours to MW's Civ Pro class my first year. Civil Procedure is excruciatingly boring. I had no idea what was going on after sitting there for an entire year. I hated that class. Couldn't we showcase a more interesting class with a really engaging professor? For example, a PO or CH class.

Anonymous said...

bbb--

I totally agree with your sentiment. I don't ever really care about my grades until they start showing up, and then I can't help obsessively checking them on a daily basis. I almost wish Cindy would just withhold grades until they're all done, and then just post them all at once.

Anonymous said...

On the Web- I loved MW's civ pro class. Every minute of it. My favorite parts were "isn't that neat" when no one understands what the hell he are talking about. I think it is far more interesting than oh say constitutional law with... well anyone.

Anonymous said...

AHHHH... I can't believe classes start again on Monday. Where or where did the vacation go?

And the homework assigned before classes even start totally sucks!

Blah.

Anonymous said...

How was trial ad?

Would you recommend it to us 1ls?

mrmeatsir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrmeatsir said...

Trial Ad -
It's a long week. Also would have been nice to have that extra week of vacay, but I would say from a long term outlook, I would recommend it. It's two credits you get to knock out quite easily.

I think the other aspect of it that is valuable is a lot of real-world advice from experienced trial practitioners from around the Boulder/Denver area, which I'm not sure that you would get from the regular trial ad. class.

Overall, I would say go for it if you don't mind biting the bullet for one week.

Anonymous said...

1 week + 2 credits + pass fail = WORTH IT

Anonymous said...

BBB, GET OVER IT. RELAX.

Anonymous said...

Word, Anon. But they're all just sitting there all yellow-like-- except for my Ethics class which is completely white. I feel sorry for the 1Ls, though, as it would be more stressful to be missing Contracts or something like that than it is for me to be missing Ethics.

Anonymous said...

If you had Nichols, expect February. That is when I got mine last year.

Anonymous said...

Uh,yeah, Anon, we use initials on this board and that would be RN (ha!). Nice guy, but not expecting my grade anytime soon. February, though? Really? Hmmmm. It's the yellow ones that have me stressed, though. It's like as long as they're yellow they're just hanging over my head. I know GET OVER IT and RELAX and THERE IS NO DEAL, or whatever.

Anonymous said...

I also had RN last year for ethics and I can vouch that it did take until Feb.

Anonymous said...

Re: RN, I totally believe you guys, but that's borderine ridiculous, esp. since he wanted our short 11 pt font single spaced papers in before 7:00 a.m. on each due date. To be completely fair, though, he mentioned that his dad was/is in hospice care, so it sounds as if he has some extenuating life circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I like the website, but I find it hilarious that the top news story is still that the Wolf law building gets a gold star for being green (or whatever) That's been the top news story here for like 18 months!