Monday, December 10, 2007

Exams Are Horrible


Whenever exams are upon us, I like to look back to my pre-1L years and ponder the reasons I came to law school, and more importantly, why I am paying an institution good money to inflict this pain.

Fortune - maybe. Although with the relative cost of tuition, a mediocre average salary for attorneys isn't good enough.

Prestige - another maybe. But before I came to law school, I never really thought to myself, "hey that guy is a lawyer, I respect him." There are other professions that invoke respect and fear--physician, business person, burger king franchisee.

Meet my significant other - possibly. For those of us who are not married, this would have been the icing on the cake. But the big problem is that once you actually get to know some of your peers, you just can't stand them. (this doesn't apply to everyone). Note: for the few of you who started off married and are now single, I extend my sympathies...call me.

Couldn't get into medical school - hmmm, you may be better off in law school. The path to becoming an "attending" can be long and painful. (But I suppose this is the same for becoming a partner)

3yr delay on adulthood - definitely.

This is all I can think of right now. I'm sure more will come to mind after I have about 5 beers next Thursday.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My roommate got home last last night after skiing all day. He said it was the best early season day he has ever had. Freshies all day. I preparing for finals all day. After hearing this I thought "wow! Law school is totally awesome!" And by "awesome" I mean "shitty."

Anonymous said...

I personally LOVE exams because its a great opportunity to reaffirm for myself how much smarter I am than my classmates. Its great.

But on the other hand, there is a big downside to being this much better than everyone else - people tend to think you are pretentious.

Anonymous said...

That last comment was a whole lot of awesome.

cadoner said...

This post is backed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Damn when will these exams be over? They just seem to go on and on and on.

Why did I go to law school again?

Anonymous said...

This has definitely been one of the longest exam periods EVER. That is partly because i actually went from the first day of the exam period to the last, which I haven't done ever (even as 1Ls we had our first exam on the second day). 10 days of exams is craptacular. Another reason it continues to drag on is because I'm a 3L which means I spend every day of the exam period freaking out b/c I haven't done anything productive all semester, yet I am still being too apathetic and lazy to do anything even now...which makes for a long day: stressful, unproductive, and boring!

Anonymous said...

Hey dirty harry - you stole your last comment from one of those "demotivators" - despair.com. Funny, but not original.