Wednesday, December 05, 2007

never settle (except in litigation)

So apparently the school settled the rape case. I must admit I was a bit excited to see the case heard again after the Tenth Circuit reinstated the suit (Patrick-whatever his last name is that is general counsel for CU is great to watch argue). And now I see the second claimant's name has now been released.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

more than 24 hours and still no comments...people either really don't care or are really busy with studying for finals...I'm guessing people just don't care.

Is there any way this settlement can come out of the football team's overly inflated budget?

Anonymous said...

Hey mclovin' I'm guessing that you didn't know that the football team brings in money to the university - the only program other than the foundation that makes a profit.

Anonymous said...

Football should be eliminated at this school. And I don't think we deserve to go to a bowl... there I said it.

Anonymous said...

Ronald--
How about we talk about this in terms we can all understand:

1) The football team brings money into the school (profits, if you will);
2) In order to bring money into the school, they must put together a team people want to see;
3) In order to put together a team people want to see, the football team must recruit decent players;
4) In order to recruit decent players, the football team must provide booze and parties and girls to 17 and 18 year old high schoolers (I was a college athlete, I know how it works);
5) The result is a few sexual assaults now and then.

Based on that analysis, this seems like a simple enterprise liability scenario. Individuals wind up harmed so the business can make money. I say strict liability kicks in. Make 'em pay!

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone that posts will be irish.

Anonymous said...

if it's not Scottish... IT'S CRAP!!!!

Anonymous said...

One of the news articles about the settlement had a quote from a regent--the whole settlement is coming out of the school's insurance--he said he wouldn't have supported it had it come from tax dollars.

Anonymous said...

It's not fair to completely blame the football team ... the old regime was atrocious and everyone at the university who allowed it to stay in place so long should be fired.

Oh. For the most part, they have. Carry on, then.

Anonymous said...

"I was a college athlete, I know how it works"

Intramural Badminton doesn't make you a college athlete ...

Anonymous said...

It doesn't...crap. We'll we still had some wild parties in an effort to recruit badminton talent from around the nation to join our 6 straight championships, fall "C" league squad.

Anonymous said...

mcnasty 11:07

The success of the football (i.e. $) affects every aspect of this university, whether you like it or not.

Anonymous said...

I was a D1 athlete, and even if your football team sucks, they bring in enough money to fund all of the school's athletic programs and then some.

"Recruiting visits" are governed by the NCAA with strict rules, but like "anonymous drug testing," enforcement is often fictitious. The corruption in the NCAA is worse than the Mafia. The worst part is schools do it because they have to compete with the other schools that do it. I did it.

Having said that, it is unfortunate that a rape resulted in the haphazard lack enforcement of the rules. However, if a person were to think that this decision would stop or deter the behavior of Athletes on "recruitment visits," they are sorely mistaken.

Additionally, closed book exams blow.

Anonymous said...

Hey mclovin', I understand that these events will still occur, but it is important for the school not to endorse it and to take steps to minimize the risk. By doing so, not only they remove the university from the liability and hopefully create an environment where potential athletes are expected to act like adults.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't the earlier poster, but I have a response for tommy o'toole:

Badminton can be intense and very competitive. Don't assume it's a weak sport because you smack around something called a "shuttlecock."

I love that word: shuttlecock.

Anonymous said...

Badminton4life:

You are a turd - thanks for ruining the theme of an otherwise joyful post by failing to accept the them of comments section. Furthermore, there is a reason that badmintoniers aren't on scholarship: it is an inferior sport played by elementary school kids and their grandparents on memorial day weekend. In short, it is weak.

It doesn't surprise me that you love the word shuttlecock so much ...

McLovin':

You raped drunk girls? Maybe it's just me but I saw a lot of other groups of people partying when I was in college. Funny thing is, not all of them were athletes. I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

he meant mcbadminton4life. cut him some slack

Anonymous said...

I heard that the athletic program at CU is actually losing money these days. This means that we should:
(1) remove the anti-sex party policy (so we can recruit the best sex hungry and alcohol lovin' football players--i.e. the best football players),
(2) get all the Florida programs and our serious competitors' programs out west nailed for the same crap, putting them under the "abstinence" program (like we are G.W.B. (trying to respect the "no calling out" policy) fighting aids); OR
(3) can the whole football program.

#3 won't ever happen and I don't think it should. We need something in Colo. to ease the pain that the Donkeys have brought upon us the past couple of seasons.

Anonymous said...

14 hours of outlining is utterly ridiculous. There are outline banks for this very reason.

Anonymous said...

I did 9 hours of outlining yesterday and thought that was ridiculous! 14 hours definitely beats it! And outline banks are great-- just great!

Anonymous said...

Outline banks are glorious...there is of course a problem, however, when there is not outline in the bank to use...
Moral of the story...don't take weird classes

Anonymous said...

...or...think forward and if you take a weird class and make an outline, put it on the outline bank for the next poor soul who takes the same weird class.