Here is the process as explained by Professor LH:I’ve been reading the thread "Grade Deadlines" with interest, and thought I could shed a little light on the topic. I can’t speak for other professors, the Registrar, or the administration. I can, however, explain how the grading process works for me. I teach both doctrinal classes and writing classes. The grading process is different for each.
I. Doctrinal Exams
For doctrinal classes, I receive exam packets anywhere from one day to one week after the exam is taken. I receive one exam packet for each student. It contains the student’s green exam, scratch paper, Bluebook(s), and/or downloaded answers. All packets for my class are held until every student has taken the exam.
My first job after picking up the packets is to review all exams and certify that any graduating student has earned at least a "pass" in the class. This certification must be done prior to the graduation ceremony. If a graduating student has a GPA that is close to the cut-off, I must also certify that the student will receive a grade of 72 or higher in my class.
Next, I grade the exams. Although every professor does this differently, I tend to grade all the answers to the first question, then all the answers to the second question, etc. This helps me in two ways. First, it helps me be consistent in the way I award or deduct points for various answers. Second, it allows me to break up the grading. I can grade one part of one exam when I have a free hour.
At the end of the process, I create an Excel spreadsheet that translates the raw exam scores to scores on a scale of 100. I manually curve the scores to an 84 median.
At this point Cindy emails me a list of my enrolled students’ exam numbers. I enter a numeric grade next to each exam number and email the list back to Cindy. I also indicate which students (by name) are entitled to class participation points, and the number of participation points each named student should receive. When I email this initial list to Cindy, the white board line for my class turns yellow.
Cindy manually enters the grades I’ve emailed her into the computer. She then emails a new list to me showing each student’s name, exam number, the score I assigned, and what each student’s grade would be if all the class participation points were applied. I apply class participation points where appropriate, and again adjust for the median. I send the list back to Cindy, and she again enters the changes by hand. She next sends a finalized grade sheet to me. I double-check all the grades against my records. Finally, I email her to certify that the grades are correct and "OK to release." She releases them. The white board line for my class will then turn green.
It may take a while for the white board to change from yellow to green. This may be for any number of reasons. First, most of the work in the system is done by hand. Cindy (and only Cindy) must manually enter and double-check the grades of every student, for every class, every time a professor makes an adjustment. This takes time.
Second, my grades might not have an 84 median. This may happen because I think the median requirement shouldn’t apply (for example in an extremely small or non-sectioned class) or because raw grades were high. If I turn in grades with a median above 85, my grades are forwarded to Dean Matthew. She and I discuss the problem, usually over email. This also takes time.
Third, an Honor Code problem can cause a delay.
Finally, if it appears that I am going to fail a student, I may ask another professor to review the exam.
I am required to turn in grades on or before an assigned date. The due date is always five calendar days before the start of the next semester. However, I may turn in grades anytime before 11:59 p.m. on the assigned date and still meet the deadline.
II. Legal Writing and Appellate Advocacy Briefs
For writing classes, I have the final briefs quite early. The grading process for briefs is much different than the grading process for exams, largely because it takes several hours to grade a single brief. Unlike exams, it is almost impossible to grade a portion of a brief and then return to it hours or days later. I therefore must find a large chunk of uninterrupted time to grade a single brief-- usually 3 to 4 hours. Whether I can do that on a specific day depends on dozens of factors, from my other job responsibilities (continued teaching, class preparation, course preparation, committee work, research, writing, bureaucratic responsibilities, etc.) to family and general life issues. I try to grade one brief a day. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn’t.
After I have made substantive comments on a brief and assigned an initial grade, I review my TA’s citation edits for the brief. I then calculate a final grade for the brief.
Once all the briefs are graded, I enter the grades into an Excel spreadsheet. That spreadsheet identifies students by name, "weights" the grades for each assignment, and gives me raw final scores. I manually adjust each raw final score for class participation and the median. Cindy emails me a list of my students’ names. I enter the final grades, and email the list back. At this point the white board line turns yellow. Cindy enters the grades manually, and sends a finalized form back to me. I double-check the grades against my spreadsheet, and then certify that the grades are correct and "OK to release." Cindy releases them, and the white board turns green.
Like doctrinal grades, writing grades may be delayed because of problems with the median, Honor Code, or failing students.
As with doctrinal grades, I am required to turn in writing grades on or before an assigned date. Again, I may turn in writing grades anytime before 11:59 p.m. on the assigned date and still meet the deadline.
III. Changes to the System and Professorial Responsiveness
Students’ ability to see grades on a class-by-class electronic basis is a relatively new innovation at CU Law. Until quite recently, no grades were released to any student until all grades from all professors in the Law School were in and approved for release. Once grades were all in and approved, a single-page report card was printed for each student. All students lined up outside the registrar’s office on the appointed date, having heard by word of mouth that grades were available. They marched in and, one-by-one, picked up the slip of paper. Grades were usually ready in late January and late June. Cindy changed the system to allow students to see their grades electronically, receive individual class grades as they become available, and track progress on the white board.
I know (and I remember) how frustrating it is to wait for grades. Like most members of the faculty, I take the deadline seriously. I’ve never missed a grade deadline. I can’t always control how quickly I am able to grade. However, I try to be responsive to students who need briefs back early in order to create writing samples. Any student is welcome to ask that his or her brief be moved to the front of the grading pile, or to ask why the grade board is sitting at yellow for my class.
I hope this has helped to clear up some of the questions you have about the grading process. I’m happy to answer additional questions--no FOIA request needed.
16 comments:
This was a fantastic explanation, and I for one appreciate it greatly. There is a significant amount of hysteria over grades (admittedly, it hits me too), but I thought the whole FOIA thing was a bit silly. As you said, now it's not needed! Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Thank You!
Thanks! And I suspect most professors would be happy to provide similar explanations if students would talk to them rather that getting all worked up about it.
Wow. It is now very apparent that the only remaining bastion of anonymity in the law school is this blog. For now, at least.
LH,
On the whole, a very good essay - thoughtful, concise, on point, and well written. It's clear that you put in time and effort - which counts for something. You should consider citing your sources and adding a few citations in your second draft. 91. Nicely done, LH.
Sincerely,
TLSFKA_
PS - I'm surprised no one has laid out the mechanics like this before. Outrageous! (fist in the air).
My thoughts on the grade overview:
(1) It’s enormously helpful and reassuring to understand the process (thank you, Professor Heiny); and
(2) It is “outrageous” that no one has explained it to us before.
More importantly, the process seems unbelievable baroque and complicated, and it’s shocking that anybody (and especially CG) has to enter *anything* by hand in this era of modern computing (not to mention having to enter grades by hand TWICE). Why is the system so outdated? There must be hundreds of software products on the market that would allow professors to enter raw scores, and participation points, into one web-based spreadsheet, and then have this spreadsheet be effortlessly integrated into the school’s *official* records. Such programs likely also allow curving, or at least compute then median, to prevent delay problems ab initio. Poor Cindy. The school seems to be killing itself (and Cindy) unnecessary when an investment in modern software would ease the process for everyone and make grades available much faster. Does anyone with teaching experience have first-hand knowledge of such software?
Another thank you to Prof. H for posting this, as it fills in with writing what has been between the lines with this semester's whiteboard. I'm pleased with the overall efforts of the admin to address the grade-timing concern, and think the whiteboard, with comments and this explanation, is a practical and reasonable solution.
One follow-up thought to the Anon 1:34 post: many of the professors who think we’re ridiculous for getting worked up about “late” grades probably attended school in the dark old ages of the 70s and 80s (and even 90s), when there were concrete technological limitations to the speed of grade processing and release. By contrast, many of us are used to quick grades from our undergraduate institutions (which use modern grading software), and can’t understand why grades should take so much longer at the graduate level. The professors think we’re being dumb since they put up with slow grades in law school, and earlier CU students didn’t complain about late grades. (Hence the belief that the blog just empowers “whiners,” rather than giving voice to legitimate and widespread concern . . .). There seems to be a generational gap between the students and professors, and this likely increases the rancor.
Thank you Prof. Heiny! This was wonderful!
While it's true that the professor-perspective grading process has never been explained, Cindy Gibbons sent out a rather detailed e-mail early last semester (during the late grade debacle) explaining the grading process from her perspective. So the comments that it's outrageous that this has never been explained are not quite founded.
Thanks to Cindy and Prof. Heiny for letting us know how it works. For some reason, this makes us feel better and helps cut down on all the whining.
Also -- most law students at CU aren't as anal and obsessive as some of the bloggers here that are posting guerilla-like calls for FOIA requests. Many of us are actually enjoying the summer and free time. Don't judge a whole barrel by a few bad apples.
Madefromrealpantherbits: Some of the students “posting guerilla-like calls for FOIA requests” aren’t as anal and obsessive as their postings suggest. It’s called “Good Cop, Bad Cop,” and it apparently works.
--Che
I'd like to take this opportunity to express my undying gratitude (read intense physical attraction)to LH.
DMcD
Thanks, Professor Heiny. Any idea why Professor Guruswamy can't seem to find the "list" of people who are on CJIELP and give them their Pass credits?
To Anonymous (10:26 p.m.)
I'm afraid I can't help much on this one. Generally the managing editor of each journal keeps track of members' hours to ensure each member did enough work to earn a "pass." I'm not sure who is waiting for what list. I think that Cindy would be the person to ask.
Professor Heiny,
This is a very nice post. . .
Word on the street is that Prof. G is having a little Tiff with his journal over hours...Anyone want to confirm?
Post a Comment