Sunday, June 03, 2007

Of Chalupas

Ok, let's start something new...

Favorite moments in law school, anyone? I was there the day the chalupas went down, and I don't think I'll forget the look on Prof. MW's face. Someone else can tell the story if they like, but it's already on the Blawg somewhere. Any new ones?

(remember, no names, just good clean fun)

19 comments:

I Like Beef said...

My favorite time was when Paris Hilton went to jail.

I'm glad to see she's "trying to be strong."

Anonymous said...

My favorite was when we were discussing Lawrence v. Texas in Nagel's Con Law and somebody said that they felt one of the justices used "backdoor reasoning" to reach their decision. I peed a little.

Anonymous said...

My favorite was during first year torts. A girl in the class was arguing with Prof PS - she was wrong and wouldn't give in. Finally, PS says, "Ok, everyone who agrees with [this girl] raise your hand." None of the 85 students in the class raised their hands. It was a special moment.

Anonymous said...

Orange balloon in 2005 Fall Torts. The balloon started the class stationary, up in high corner of ceiling, but heat from the full room started it drifting around back and forth above and out of view of professor. Many (most?) students appeared mesmerized as it flitted along the sharp edges of the flourescent light...daring to be popped. Slowly, toward the end of class it descended, still gently weaving and bopping above the professor. Then, finally, the dangling string brushed up against the prof's head, and she let out what can only be described as a yelp. She was a good sport, considering, and wrapped the ribbon around her hand and cradled the balloon the remainder of the period. I got my lowest grade of law school in that class, but I think I'll always smile when I think of that day.

memphis minnie said...

I enjoyed when the term 'baby momma' was used in contracts and the class explained to Prof SP what it meant.

Anonymous said...

That can't top the time SP had to do a little research to find out why the class erupted in giggles during a series of hypos about offers for a "Hummer." I wonder if he has chosen a different vehicle for his hypos.

Anonymous said...

The best time was in the property final, minutes before the test was about to start, when MA dropped her gum on the floor and slyly put the gum back into her mouth hoping no one would see. KW did see and she and MA erupted in laughter.

Gunners in the class frowned and shot dirty looks their way, but their laughter did not die.

Good times...

Anonymous said...

SP has been using his semi-lewd Hummer hypo for years. He gave the recent graduates blank stares when we all burst into laughter back in 2004. I suspect his naive boyishness might be a well-honed image construct at times, but I genuinely hope not. Did he carry on about the illogic of declaring contracting for sex (i.e., prostitution) illegal again this year?

Anonymous said...

I like talking about "duty."

Anonymous said...

I have several fond memories from Corporations '07. PL cold-called on a student who said, "I'm sorry, could you repeat the question? I wasn't listening because I was looking out the window." PL replied, "Oh, anything interesting going on out there?" I loved the shameless honesty.

Another good moment occurred when a student's computer made an odd ding noise. PL asked, "What was that?" Student replied, "It means you made a good point." PL responded, "Aww, but that's the first time it's gone off all semester."

Dirty Harry said...

This one pales in comparison to some of the ones above, but I did get a good chuckle when DM made a comment in Civ Pro and followed it with "you better not post this on the blog." This wasn't too long after the whole grade fiasco dominated CUBLAWG discussions.

Anonymous said...

She really needs to take the blawg with a grain of salt.

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

I think DM was pretty pissed about the Chewbacca dance references (or whatever the line was), which she felt were racially motivated. You can't blame her for being pissed about that.

Anonymous said...

Please clarify: is it your understanding that she's still pissed about that, or only that she was pissed about that when she thought (in the past tense) that it was racially motivated?

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

My understanding is that she was pissed at the time. I have no clue how she feels about it now.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the DM thing, I can completely understand how at first blush she was offended by that. However, it was so innocent and not at all motivated by hate or racial bias, and she's smart enough to understand that. In fact, she is wicked smart, and I really like her. She takes a lot of heat.
She's not always been right, but at least she tries. She has a hard job.

Anonymous said...

I'm with anonymous at 8:13pm. DM has a very difficult job, one that almost requires her to be the bad guy from time to time. But I had a class with her this semester and thought she was fantanstic. She also gave me my highest law school grade ever, so I have no complaints...

Anonymous said...

What does this have to do with Dave Matthews? Sorry for the outing DM.

Anonymous said...

the chalupa thing was hot. especially since, as we all know, MW has such a big thing for t-bell in the first place.

how about CW's mass emails to the school a couple years back? 05? 06? it quickly went from hilarious to obnoxious, however.

and p.s. - she's back. doesn't appear to have lost the penchant for lengthy rants and bizarre whining, either. oh my.