Monday, May 07, 2007
A lot off topic, but here goes
Please comment on Paris Hilton's 45 day jail sentence. Personally, I love that she's being held accountable for her actions. She says she's being singled out because of her fame, but what do those of you who work in the DA or PD's office think? Is this sentence out of line for the offense? It doesn't seem so to me, but what do I know? I realize sentencing expectations differ among jurisdictions, but I thought I'd throw this out there for the blawg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That's hawt.
In Boulder, you usually get one freebie, meaning if you violate the terms of your probation, you get to revoke probation and reinstate. This means that your probation starts over with the same terms and conditions. Depending on the charge, the DA will ask for some jail time so you learn your lesson. DUI’s are taken pretty seriously, however 45-days for a 1st DUI probation violation like Hilton’s is probably rare in Boulder.
However, the difference with Hilton is that the facts seem pretty egregious. She was pulled over and warned 3 times by separate police officers that her license wasn't valid and that she couldn't drive. She also failed to follow a direct court order which required her to sign up for alcohol classes within 30 days of her sentencing.
Courts particularly don't like being ignored and tend to be harsher when an order is disobeyed.
As far as being treated differently due to her fame goes, it just depends on what the norm is in the California courts where she was sentenced. I doubt it was far off the mark, but I sure would get supreme satisfaction in throwing a spoiled brat like her in jail. Although, the rumor is that the jails are so over-crowded in the LA area that she'll probably never have to serve the full 45 days anyway.
I can't emphasize how uninterested I am in Paris Hilton's life and how annoyed I am that this is a front page story on MSN.com.
I agree, generally speaking, Paris Hilton isn't particularly interesting - and she really isn't that hot either. Professor PC seems to disagree - I'm still not sure how he managed to bring up Paris Hilton in property once a week. But that's the thing about going through law school - our profs are teaching us to "think like lawyers" - there is a pedagogical method at work that WE as students do not yet understand! Thus, while it may APPEAR that professors sometimes talk about whatever they please regardless of the class they teach - that is obviously not whats going on. We just don't understand the methodology yet cause we're not lawyers, right?
Maybe Paris will make a new video in prison thus invigorating property discussions for the 1L class of 2010... I'd call it 'Paris Does Prison' ...who knows, maybe it will help next year's lawyers 1Ls "think like lawyers."
In CO, driving on an alc-suspended license is 30 days minimum jail for the first offense. Repeat offenders can get up to a year. The ditz got off easy.
Post a Comment