Sunday, May 06, 2007

Gettin' a Little Tired of it...

This morning I checked my email and get the weekly events update from the school... This item struck me:

Commencement (11:30 AM - 3:30 PM Wolf and Macky)
8:00am Start Procession; 8:30am Ceremony in Folsom Field begins; 10:00 All are welcome at Wolf Law Building; 10:50 Graduates and faculty procession from Wolf to Macky; 10:45 Macky doors open for family and friends; 11:30am students and faculty process into Macky; 1:30 Reception at Wolf Law Building.

What in the world is this 8:30 am Ceremony in Folsom Field??? The rest of the items seem correct. I just don't understand that one item. This is a week after the UCSU Tri-Executives sent out an email to the whole school reminding them of the Folsom Field Graduation on FRIDAY, MAY 11th. (UPDATE: I am an idiot. It is on the 11th.) The last two months, we have received multiple fliers, emails and other pieces of information regarding graduation which have wrong dates, times, etc... AND MOST OF THE WRONG INFORMATION HAS COME FROM THE CU ADMINISTRATION!

Please tell me that the only Law School Graduation Ceremony that we have to attend is on FRIDAY, MAY 11th at 11:30 am in Mackey? This should be it... right?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The big, all-school ceremony is at 8:30 on Friday morning, not Saturday. We can participate in that ceremony, but my impression is that few people do.

http://www.colorado.edu/commencement/

The law school ceremony is at 11:30 that same day.

cadoner said...

Hey, graduation ceremonies are super fun to sit through. Hours upon hours of "we're conferring honorary degrees on these pompous, arrogant pricks you don't know" and then a bunch of calling of names. Who could dream of a better time? I'd go to every one I could.

memphis minnie said...

I drove past a Regis graduation yesterday and thought about stopping by, I know they have fancy snacks and champagne. Unfortunately, I had to get home and spend hours upon hours in front of my laptop. And wait for comcast to come by and fix my internet. Good timing.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Anonymous is right: the main commencement is "optional." It is my understanding that the Admin is making it seem mandatory b/c they've been getting heat from the central admin (the Chancellor) about the dearth of law students at the main commencement. What's more, students that attend the main campus ceremony are usually rushed in getting back to the law school in time for the procession. Everything is so disjointed.

Apparently, starting next year there won't be any separate commencement ceremonies (law school, business school, history dep't, etc.) until after noon. The main admins have realized that practical barriers stand in the way of everyone going to the main commencement. At the end of the day, however, 8:30 a.m. is way to early for a college graduation ceremony. I bet some of those kids haven't woken up that early since high school.

The conflicting communications is really frustrating. I heard that the time and day of the law school's graduation has never changed - 11:30 a.m. on Friday, May 11 - but the info surrounding everything seems to constantly change.

Mushroom Stamp said...

When I was an undergrad we had this thing called senior golf. What would happen is all the seniors would go from house party to house party and get progressively drunk. The problem was that all the seniors would get so drunk that they couldn't seem to find the next hole (house party), and would just end up puking in the street somewhere. The solution: "caddies." The caddies were underclassmen that would guide the golfers from hole to hole. Since it safe to assume that the graduates will be so drunk as to figure out where to go at what time, I think we should get underclassmen to guide them. Doesn't this seem like a good idea to everyone?

Anonymous said...

I will tell you what I am getting tired of, the library. It doesn't open until 10am in the middle of finals. When it does open its overrun w/ undergrads.

I barely mustered up enough outrage to comment b/c by the time anyone does anything I will have graduated but still...

1Ls and 2Ls this could be your legacy.

cadoner said...

Nothing I like better than babysitting drunks...

Anonymous said...

The funny thing about the library today was that at 8:00 this morning, it was apparently not open (judging by the lack of lighting and absence of employees), but the door was open. How's that for security?

LegallyBrunette said...

Speaking of the undergrads in the library, the iTunes playlist names are getting a bit out of hand.

Anonymous said...

i love the golf idea

Ryan Kalamaya said...

I agree: great idea. In college, we had something similar. We had this weird thing where we called everyone by their year in school. Thus, freshmen were "first years." It was kind of like law school.

Anyway, this created the opportunity for the "Fourth Year Fifth." Before the beginning of the last home football game, tons of fourth years, i.e. seniors, would try to consume an entire 1/5 of a gallon of liquor. (FYI: that is a LOT of booze.) It was usually Jim Beam, and it was usually insane. There would be vomit flowing down the aisles in the student section of the football stadium.

Since it was an overwhelmingly Greek-oriented school, all the frat guys would have two or three pledges hoisting them up. It was like a battlefield of walking wounded.

Mushroom Stamp said...

OK then, it will go like this: someone has to organize a champaign breakfast (mimosas) before commencement. I think that SBA has enough to pay for 100 bottles of cheap champaign (or at least cover and sell cups). We'll all meet in the law school courtyard and then go streaking to the quad ...

Seriously, somebody has to take the lead on this - I suggest MW (because he is part robot). This will be an awesome tradition (we may have to cut out the streaking so the girls will participate).

cadoner said...

"cham·paign Pronunciation[sham-peyn]

–noun

1. level, open country; plain.

Mushroom Stamp said...

douche bag –noun
1. a small syringe having detachable nozzles for fluid injections, used chiefly for vaginal lavage and for enemas.

P.S. For those who didn't understand: When I said champaign, I meant champagne. Thanks.