Thursday, April 19, 2007

I am a tool


It's a little early to get excited about the summer blockbuster season, particularly with bar preparation around the corner, but I have more than a passing interest in seeing "Transformers". For males of a certain age, the Transformers were the sine qua non of cool in our youth, despite the fact that the cartoon was, in retrospect, complete and total garbage. And yes, I include the original "Transformers: The Movie" in that bucket, despite the contributions of Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Judd Nelson, and Eric Idle to the film.

Enter Michael Bay and his new take on the franchise. Assuming you have the appropriate equipment and were born between 1976 and 1981, I think you'll enjoy the previews.

14 comments:

notjustlaw said...

HS, you are forgetting the other two kings of the age, He-Man and GI Joe. Masters of the Universe (starring Drago himself--Dolph Lundgren) was awful and we never got a GI Joe live-action movie. That is why Transformers must work...It must be good.

Anonymous said...

ThunderCats? Anybody?

Anonymous said...

Transformers was king to he-man and GI Joe. Hakim, what do you mean the original transformers was complete garbage??

Anonymous said...

Different genre, but how about Fraggle Rock? What a mind fuck that was. I had to look it up a few years ago to make sure it was real, and not some fevered dream of childhood. Incoherrent cartoons like that probably screw us up on a deep level, teaching us that the world is nonsensical and incoherent (and, ironically, prepare us for law school).

Ryan Kalamaya said...

"More than meets the eye..."

Anonymous said...

I object to the comment in the original post that males of a certain age remember the Transformers. I am a girl, and I had a Transformer collection that would rival any of yours. But, She-ra was definitely cooler than the Transformers.

Anonymous said...

There were plenty of girls born between 1976 and 1981 who thought Transformers were pretty cool. I mean, they're robots in disguise.

And while I also watched my fair share of "girly" kids TV, the shows whose theme songs I can still sing today were the boys shows. Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, etc.

Anonymous said...

Do you think they'll ever make a "My Little Pony" movie?

cublawg said...

I stand corrected, on many different counts.

Anonymous 9:05, I'm a bit of a Thundercats fan, but not enough to blow a wad of cash on tickets and popcorn.

As for the ladies, more power to you.
I must say, however, that most of the girls I went to school with preferred cabbage patch dolls.

Anonymous said...

Did any of you suffer the same psychological scaring as I did from parents who would only spring for "ghetto" bots (gobots) instead of the genuine item.

It still hurts.

Scott Turner said...

Yes, you are a tool. But I have no room to speak, as I watched both animated GI Joe movies. The one where cobra commander turns into a snake is fantastic. Thundercats was a litte too S&M for my tastes. Panthar was a dungeon master. Dear God, we are huge dorks.

Most importantly, the full length Simpsons movie is coming out. That will be monumental.

Anonymous said...

I'm not proud of this (ok, yes I am), but I remember quoting various Thundercats characters once in an ethics paper in college. I think it was Lion-O and Tygra. As I recall, they had important things to say about the harmful effects of lying. Maybe the prof didn't realize that I was making a mockery of the assignment, but I did get a passing grade.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I have transformers to thank for the unbearable sense of superiority that plagues me today. As a child, your favorite toy should not be something that your parents can't operate.

As for tools...well I had a psudo-transformers (see previous comment on Ghetto bots) Wrist watch. The face was detachable and turned into a little jet. Taken away from me every single day at school until I lost it (I think by tying it to a string and spinning it around w/ said string subsequently breaking)

Anonymous said...

Here is the trailer. Nerds Unite!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZp75fWe-ss