Thursday, April 19, 2007

Dean Trujillo Reveals Hidden Secrets of How to Pass the Bar Exam

A 3L forwarded me Dean Trujillo's Bar Prep advice article. It really is an insightful piece. Let me tell you, I learned a lot about how to do well on the bar examination and prepping for it. Among the pearls of wisdom:

1) Take Bar Prep Course
2) Do not work during the bar exam
3) Carefully study
4) Understand your learning style
5) Manage your time during the exam
6) Eat well and exercise during prep

Man, if he hadn't written that article, next year, when I take the bar, I would surely have not thought to study carefully or manage my time during the exam. Maybe I would have thought of them separately, but never put them together like that.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got an emergency email from DLT that there was an additional "to" added in the second paragraph. This might change you bar prep next year.

Anonymous said...

Those pearls of bar prep wisdom only took 5 years of study to produce. Outstanding!

cublawg said...

Anon, I think that should read "5 years of study produce."

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Funny, I was just about to login and post something about these emails. Classic.

Anonymous said...

As a successful bar exam taker, I would also add to Dean Trujillo’s recommendations that in order to pass the bar exam you should try to answer as many questions correctly as you possibly can.

Anonymous said...

His advice on bar prep is almost as ground breaking as his recent law review article, which argued that students who do poorly in law school tend to do poorly on the bar exam. Maybe these are the corrective recommendations he came up with.

So, in case that's not clear enough, if you do poorly in an environment which tests you on your knowledge of and ability to analyze the law given a particular set of circumstances, you may not do well on a test that purports to measure the same things.

Someone tell me how I can get into academia instead of having to get a real job.

notjustlaw said...

He should join John Madden in the Sunday Night booth this fall. This is amazing analysis.

Correctly answering enough questions will ensure passage of the bar.

Anonymous said...

madefromrealpantherbits, you are a comedic genius. This is the single funniest blog ever posted. I salute you and your acerbic wit.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read the rest of this groundbreaking article in our own Colorado Law Review.

notjustlaw said...

I understand wanting to correct the "to" in a published article, but what would actually drive him to resend the email to the students??? Is he not aware of the unintentional comedy he is creating? DLT KNOWS about this blawg...and yet he sends out comedic/mocking GOLD!!

Coffinberry said...

I feel so left out...

Anonymous said...

I am really glad that our own Colorado Law Review is publishing such a fine peice of scholarship.

Anonymous said...

This not Harvard!! (re: "I am really glad that our own Colorado Law Review is publishing such a fine peice of scholarship.")

Anonymous said...

How does his tip to not engage in negative self-talk corrolate with the rumored conversations DLT supposedly had with the bottom 10% a year or two ago? I heard these students were told to drop out of law school while they could because they were never going to pass the bar.

Anonymous said...

Here all this time I thought I was at Harvard. Who knew. Someone at Harvard probably figured out that time management tip years ago and just didn't share.

Anonymous said...

Way to be gratuitously mean in a public forum, everyone. I for one am not at all impressed. Why don't you study for your exams instead of going out of your way to demean the contributions of others? I have a suggestion - why don't you identify yourself publicly before you post stuff like this? Better yet, march up to Trujillo's office and denigrate his work to his face?

And, to pre-empt any questions: No, I am not kidding and yes, I am kind of disgusted by the lack of concern for others' feelings that people on this forum tend to show on a semi-regular basis.

notjustlaw said...

Excellent Question Anon at 4:17. That was one shady move. I'm not sure if it was ever discussed on Bolder's old blog, but it was the moment that made me question every world that comes out of DLT's mouth.

Based on anecdotal evidence, he couched the conversation in terms of "I'm trying to be your friend, and help you through this, and explain one of your options." One person who attended these meetings came out with the impression that what he really meant was, "you might negatively affect our rank down the road...so maybe you should leave." Not a good day for CU law.

Anonymous said...

I have to second the Anon at 8:40. While my personal opinion of DLT might coincide or not with those expressed on the blog, personal attacks are simply low class, especially in an anonymous form. Looking back at recent posts and remebering older ones, it seems like everyone lets off steam and talks a big game hidden behind the anonymity of the post. Oh, and one more thought, it seems like there are some personal attacks that bother the admins of the blog: those directed to them. When that happens, they simply remove the post, as they did with the Talent Show related post recently. Everyone else, who can't remove posts, is fair game. Arrogant? You decide.

Anonymous said...

Good points Anon 8:40, and Working 2l, but you're both attacking the anonymity of other posters while hiding behind the same shield yourselves. I'm not asking you to disclose your identities (since I'm posting anonymously, too), but merely pointing out that the high and low roads often converge in the blogosphere.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Not quite true "working 2L." The Talent Show post of which you speak of was removed b/c the email was sent assuming confidentiality. The person who forwarded it was concerned with that breach of confidence. It was taken down for that reason, and that reason alone. There wasn't even a derogatory comment about me (the original blogger), HS, or others.

I'm cool taking my licks. If you think I edit comments criticizing me, check out the reaction to my last post and others.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with the posters upset about some of negative comments expressed on the blog. If those posting negative remarks are genuinely concerned, upset, discouraged, about the contributions of a faculty member this blog is one place for those individuals to express those feelings without risking the ire of the administration.

I for one feel that their are members of our faculty who under-perform. When our faculty doesn't perform it hurts the University and us as a result. Students do not have the authority to discipline University employees or "march right up" to faculty and demand better performance but they can express their misgivings to other students. While this forum may tend towards encouraging that expression in a blunt, acerbic, or sarcastic manner the feelings behind these comments are valid and this is a valid forum for expressing them. The alternative is quietly suffering incompetence.

Scott Turner said...

"I am kind of disgusted by the lack of concern for others' feelings that people on this forum tend to show on a semi-regular basis."

Blogging is, clearly, not the forum for you. If you want "feelings" and "concern," go turn on Dr. Phil and Oprah. If you want people to be frank and open, come here. Yes, people will make fun of the administration, and *gasp* be mean, and the administration should have thick skin. Whould you rather students take out their feelings in destructive, violent ways instead? Criticism is a healthy avenue for change. It may not be kind, but kindness isn't always condusive to results.

Anonymous said...

Unfrozen should refocus and get a brush up on spelling.

Scott Turner said...

No spell check on this thing. On what should I refocus?

Anonymous said...

Spelling, rather than whatever you are focused on now.

Scott Turner said...

so it bouthers you if spel incorectly? you ere a docshe. Enjoy the rest of Con Law and Oprah later.

Anonymous said...

Come on unfrozen...maybe anon at 9:40 should pick on your spelling, but the lack of spell check is a bad response-- there was life before spell check!

Scott Turner said...

You must all be bored. You are getting on me about spelling? Commerce clause got you down? My real excuse is I have always been a bad speller, and I usually don't proof read what I write after I post it. That is why it usually does make sense and "asshole" is misspelled. I have corrected my previous post for your satisfaction. Now your day will be less tarnished by my inadequate spelling.

Unfrozen-caveman said...
"I am kind of disgusted by the lack of concern for others' feelings that people on this forum tend to show on a semi-regular basis."

Blogging is, clearly, not the forum for you. If you want "feelings" and "concern," go turn on Dr. Phil and Oprah. If you want people to be frank and open, come here. Yes, people will make fun of the administration, and *gasp* be mean, and the administration should have thick skin. W[]ould you rather students take out their feelings in destructive, violent ways instead? Criticism is a healthy avenue for change. It may not be kind, but kindness isn't always condu[c]ive to results.

Scott Turner said...

That last post doesn't even make sense. I don't proof read before I post it and my posts usually don't make sense for this reason. Yes, I am in law school at prestigious CU. :)