I tried looking for a comment I made on Buffs' blog (grad of Class of 2006 - blog defunct now) when I was a 1L. There were a couple of comments made by then-3Ls that really irked me. Basically, my response was something like, "You guys are pricks! You make fun of all of us 1Ls, thinking you're so cool." So, I sympathize with those who level accusations that the 3Ls are arrogant.
Now, however, I'm on the other side of the debate. I'm in the last three weeks of law school. I realize how easy it is to look down on 1Ls as being somehow "inferior." I remember how optimistic and different I was two years ago. I used to get scared before exams. I used to worry about whether people thought I was smart. Everything -- the importance of my rank, my grade on my legal writing brief, who I was friends with, my comments in class, etc. -- seemed so unbelievably real. I mean, isn't that a big part of it all? Isn't that why we all get stressed out our first year? Why we lost sleep and our "normal" friends simply couldn't understand us? There has to be a reason for all the hoopla surrounding your first year. It can't just all be pointless. That would lead one to be a jaded, bitter nihilist. That would make one a 3L.
Law inherently breeds arrogance. We are generally intelligent. More importantly, we are generally ambitious. We need something to make us feel good; like our existence is meaningful. We need ranks, prestigious firms, salaries, awards and all those artificial forms of distinction. Sure, everything in life has its form of order. Just look at all the professional athletes who bitch and moan when they're not selected for an all-star game. Do they really have anything to worry about?
Law is different, though. It's exponentially worse in our universe. Law school is just the beginning of this system. Professors have their own niche hierarchical system. Just look at what one of our own wrote a couple weeks ago.
Broadly speaking, I doubt there's much of a difference in the number of arrogant people in each class. It all depends on where you are in the game: beginning, middle or end. That’s it. Nothing else. You'll call me arrogant, but wait until you get to the end and see how you feel.
As HS pointed out, 3Ls are apathetic. We are tired of the monotony. We are just trying to get out of here without doing more work than we have to. We have been to dozens of FACs and are tired of the same conversations. We hardly even hang out together with each other anymore, we're so sick of everything, anything related to law school. We don't talk to people we used to call friends. We try not to be at school longer than we have to. We know almost everyone in our class, and most of the 2Ls. We don't have anything left in our meeting-people-and-be-social tank. We are in a totally different stage in our lives than the 1Ls.
In my mind, it’s depressing. I hate feeling like I’ve wasted this year. I hate walking around school feeling grumpy and antisocial. After last summer, I resolved to kick back and relax this year. It was the last shred of freedom; the year of going out 4 times each week, skiing 50 times and reading lots of novels. It was going to be a vacation. It was going to be fun. Sadly, it's been the same.
Many of us are about to work a gazillion hours and enter another rat race. We'll be first-year associates and the senior associates and partners will treat us like we're dirt. It'll be all the same. We’ll call them arrogant and probably be right. We’ll make partner and act just like them. It's a vicious cycle. It’s pathetic. It’s sad. But what can we do?
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I've been jaded since the second week of first year. Suck on that, cycle.
I just want to start by saying that it really irks me when other students say things like, "I'm a law student, so I'm ultra-ambitious, anal, argumentative, intelligent or whatever." My response: THAT IS BS. It's just that particular student trying to justify being an ass on a daily basis. Even if you are hot shit, keep it to yourself - no one cares as much as you do, and you will garner much more respect by being humble.
I can see how three years of academic exercises can make a person jaded and rob them of their spirit, but that does not give anyone the right to look down on anyone else - whether it be another law student or even (gasp) an undergrad. Neither Law School nor the "system" is an excuse. This place is no different than any other aspect of life - sometimes it can be really tough and it can thoroughly suck - but acting arrogant and treating others poorly is not going to get you any closer to success or happiness.
I’d like to add as a disclaimer that this may not be a trend or a pattern at all; it may just be a few sour grapes that are spoiling the bunch. I know plenty of 3Ls who are very nice, and whose company I thoroughly enjoy.
But I am hot shit. When you look this smart and attractive, it is impossible not to point out the faults of others and belittle them
There is reason why most of my friends are NOT law students. Many students here take themselves way too seriously, considering what they have accomplished in life so far. Like BL said, if you work for a big or small firm, you will be the bitch for your first several years, so if you are an asshole 3L, 2L, or 1L, your first year will more likely than not be a rude awakening. It is like that in any other industry that is mildly competitive (banking, IT, consulting, real estate, sales, teaching, etc...).
Personally, I think certain law school students are overcompensating for something with the asshole-ishness. Maybe Mommy and Daddy did not pay enough attention when they were little? Maybe the football team shoved them into their lockers because they are so smart? Who knows? The best thing is it is quite representative of society. There are assholes in junior high, there are assholes in undergrad, there are assholes in every profession. Everyone is not going to get along and be wonderful to one another, that is life, so you can either work to change that or just ride the asshole wave into your future. Name the artist: "Well, I try my best
To be just like I am,
But everybody wants you
To be just like them.
They sing while you slave and I just get bored."
P.S. Do I win an award for the most use of the word asshole in one post?
Unfrozen, if such an award is drafted you'll have my vote.
Rice, I assure you that Bolder is not "ultra-ambitious, anal, argumentative..." and your rephrasing of his assertions that CU Law students are GENERALLY intelligent, ambitious, and seek meaningful opportunities suggests that you have an axe to grind. Seriously, was everyone in your undergad class as sharp as the people in your law school class? I coasted to a 3.91 GPA at a Big Ten school during undergrad, while working 30 hours a week to pay for it. I'm middle of the pack here, both academically and intellectually. And I like it better this way -- other than the snarking, law students tend to be more interesting than my old science & engineering colleagues.
Enjoy your underdog role while you can, brotha. Feel free to bitch about The Man or the 3L's, just don't put yourself too high on the pedestal. As Bolder pointed out, the fall is disenchanting.
JQET, thanks for pointing out the generality qualification. I was making no claim about myself. Further, my point is not that it is okay to act like an ass. I was reflecting on how easy it is to fall into that trap; how law isn't the most conducive environment for humility. I'm not stoked about that, and am certainly not justifying or using it as an excuse for my own indiscretions.
Bob Dylan. What do I win?
Law school's a pretty selfish enterprise. For most, the selfishness continues as they begin a career of law, esp. in a firm. When people become too self-absorbed they generally become unhappy. I'm not sure that requiring pro bono work is a cure for what ails us, but it might be a start. Just a random thought.
The generalizations are pretty funny and mostly inaccurate. I honestly don't know too many CU law students I would saddle with the "asshole" label-- cept maybe that 1L in my class who in the middle of Con Law told Collins he was "just plain wrong." ha. That guy? Yeah. But most? Nah.
Sorry, my intention was not to rephrase anyone's comments. Bolder Law just reminded me of what I've heard from other students.
To answer your rhetorical question JQET, yes, everyone in my undergrad class probably is as sharp as those in my law school class (at least by my measure). I am the dumb one from the bunch who is still looking for something to do with my life.
1L here-
maybe I'm not paying attention, but I haven't seen 3Ls picking on 1Ls as inferior or anything bad. Yes we came here clueless and yes we are probably the ones that keep the fridge in the cafe so nasty and dirty.
But the 1Ls aren't (mostly) assholes so far. Some are clearly assholes, being shockingly rude in their comments about others, and weird anti-social behavior. Like not saying thank you when someone does something nice for you. A friend commented that it seems some of the 1Ls were raised by wolves.
I do hope this social awkwardness doesn't turn into asshole-ness in the coming 2 years. That might make me and all the other nice decent people totally miserable.
One can be a total asshole privately, but being nice on the outside almost makes it all better.
But to you 3Ls, good luck and enjoy yourselves. I hope it was all worth it.
I have to agree with rice eater when he says,"everyone in my undergrad class probably is as sharp as those in my law school class (at least by my measure)." They just didn't constantly share their brilliance with everyone else. In the words of David Hill, this is not Harvard! You are all dumbasses, whether you think so or not.
Jesus. One way to be an asshole is to just love the sound of your own voice, etc.
Law students aren't assholes because they are vicious people -- they just don't ever shut up.
Blah, Blah, Blah.
Yes. Jesus is right.
Well, we're law students, so we love the sound of our own voice.
HA!
Forget about the differences and come together to the student auction tomorrow. Partying or not, the 2Ls pulled together a pretty solid and very attractive list of items. There is everything under the sun on their 68 item list. Everything from self-defense lessons to condos and houses in Breck, scuba lessons and gift certificates, wine and tickets to multiple sporting events...not to mention the BarBri and PMBR courses. And if nothing else entices you, RK is auctioning off the pants he'll be wearing at the talent show. I am ready to bid!
a shout out to the current 2L's, ONLY your wautlet made us pay for beer at a law school event.
if you throw a party - you should accept the consequences, even if that means a couple dollars out of your own pocket. seriously, you'll be a lawyer, you should be able to handle the setback.
what a tool. i'm embarrassed that he's part of CU law. i'm definatelty glad he's not my year.
Drunk commenting? Probably as inadvisable as drunk dialing, but way more public.
Lay off Wautlet. He went out of his way to get more booze for us and it's not like any of us have a lot of extra cash on hand at this point in the year.
Post a Comment