Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Political/Election Watching

Maybe I'm colored a little by my typical voting pattern, but it has been FUN watching just HOW EXCITED the people on CNN are getting in calling races for Democrats tonight! There is no bias in the media...No!

But it is also amazing to watch just how we are in the third election cycle since 2000 and the networks have returned to their RACE TO CALL RACES! I think Chaffee's race was called with 400 votes counted! Have they actually fixed these exit polls? I'M ACTUALLY HOPING FOR A WHOLE BUNCH OF SUPER CLOSE RACES SO THE MEDIA CAN JUST DROOL ALL OVER THEMSELVES. I could use some entertainment.

Oh well. I am really just interested to see if Referendum I passes, as that is the only ballot measure I voted for.

8 comments:

cublawg said...

Coloradans, unfortunately, spit on the I. As for close races, all I can say is that one of our classmates lost by a little over 1,000, which is particularly unfortunate when you note her opponent's taste for denim. If only candidates for state assembly could ask for a recount on the basis of fashion choices...

As for "media bias," allow me to recommend some extra-curricular reading.

Coffinberry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Coffinberry said...

Hmmm, what does it tell about me when I say that from my point of view, the media is biased both to the right AND to the left?

How shall the news be spun today? The Colorado voters went distinctly Democrat in the choice of representation, but nevertheless passed 43 and rejected I. Whose base supposedly got motivated? Whose base got scared away or turned off (by long lines; by extramarital-sex scandal)?

Will sound bytes anywhere capture the complex reasoning behind the voting?

I doubt it. Here's my prediction: Despite delivering the governor's seat and retaining the statehouse, the Democratic party will punish Colorado for approving 43 and rejecting I by dropping Denver off the short-list for 2008 convention honors. This act will focus all political analysis in the state on a single issue, and further polarize politics, leaving the majority in the middle (who are likely less bigoted -to either side- than the media will portray)frustrated and unheard.

cublawg said...

CB: I couldn't disagree more. In the past year, Harpers, Atlantic, and even the Weekly Standard have all run articles noting the fundamental shift in the Republican Party whereby more and more disaffected libertarian-oriented Elephants from the west have grown weary of the GOP's unrelenting focus upon God, guns, and gays that has served them so well with Southern Republicans. An intelligent Democratic leadership will examine the fallout of the election and realize that it can solidify its numbers by focusing on front range states with Democratic governors like Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Kansas, and start breaking into the middle to take the Executive in 2008. In other words, don't count on it.

cublawg said...

That assumes, of course, an intelligent Democratic leadership, which as we all know is an oxymoron of late.

notjustlaw said...

Well, I got what I wanted. Two close races deciding the make-up of the Senate. The Media is so happy this morning!!

I should have mentioned as well that is equally enjoyable to watch the dour expressions and solemn demeanor on Fox. And Chris Matthews fidgeting in his chair out of excitement. Good times all around.

MacLawyer said...

I think its clear that the bias in media is capitalist, not leftist or rightist. If it bleeds, it leads -- film at 11:00 (commercials at 10:58 and 11:02). General Electric, which is itself 7th and has 12 other sub-entities in the Fortune 500, owns NBC. Disney owns ABC. American media is ruled by bottom line, not party line.

Cheers to Coloradans for saying "no" on 40 and choosing Bill Ritter. Shame on us for saying "no" on Ref. I and passing on Affie Ellis.

cublawg said...

In case you're looking for some levity, spend some time with a truly brilliant clip from the Colbert Report.