Monday, March 20, 2006

The Million-Year War for Earth has Begun...

In response to the Tom Cruise-induced censoring of South Park and its Scientologist episode this week, Matt Stone and Trey Parker sent out this response:

"So, Scientology, you have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for Earth has just begun."

"Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

Genius.  

3 comments:

cublawg said...

Now that Isaac Hayes got all pissy, I'm just sad to say goodbye to Chef and his salty chocolate balls. They'll try to find a sub, I'm sure, but as the loss of Jim Henson demonstrates, studio tricks and bad impressions cannot duplicate a truly unique voice.

Coffinberry said...

I'll weigh in on this one, a little bit. [First disclaimer: I've never watched an episode of South Park. Second disclaimer: Therefore, I have only third-hand knowledge of what this dust-up is all about.]

Are all things fair-game for discussion in this multi-cultural world we have? Or are there some things so sacred to those who believe in them that they should be - not by external censorship, but by politeness - off limits? This is the problem the Danish cartoonists ignited: what do you do when a serious moral taboo has been breached? In the balancing-test by which the marketplace of ideas is judged, is mocking of that which is sacred to others allowed?

notjustlaw said...

Apparantly this week the boys try to "save" Chef. i wonder how this will play.

Coffin, while South Park pushes the limits on decency, they comment on religions that either have violated their trust with their people, i.e. the Catholic Priest molesting stories, or when they have personal experience with the religion. The mormon episode a few years ago was a reaction to Trey Parker's upbringing in a mormon household. The messages that come out are appropriate commentary wrapped in the crude humor.

That is usually my reaction when someone hasn't seen the show. I have watched from the beginning and I don't even notice the bathroom humor or crudenesss, but what I do see is the biting social commentary. It may not be polite, but is more than valid in this day and age.

And I do raise another quesiton: the Danish cartoons may have violated Islamic law, but does that make it a serious moral taboo if the editors and cartoonists are not Muslim? Do they have to respect Islamic law any more then a Buddhist needs to respect the Ten commandments?