Monday, September 19, 2005

Second Year

I just wrote a post about the misery that is year two, but I deleted it because it was just a bunch of whining. Here's the summary: first year is hard, but second year sucks too.

3Ls, does it get better when OCI is over? Of course, things could only be better after OCI if you get a job out of it, and that won't happen for most of us. Is there anything more depressing than OCI? First of all, I get the feeling that no one is too excited about working for the big firms. It also takes the weirdness of law school competition to a new, more visible, suit-wearing level.

(And yes, I realize that it's a sign of my relative level of privilege that OCI is the most depressing thing I can think of right now.)

(And yes, I also realize that I probably just need someone to tell me, as my mother would, to snap out of it. So feel free to do so.)

5 comments:

Ryan Kalamaya said...

I totally sympathize CL. I'm just trying to keep my head above water this semester. The OCI thing is a total mind trip.

notjustlaw said...

It is weird though, I'm excited about working at a big firm but since I'm not getting any interviews, and it seems unlikely I'll get one, OCI still sucks.

notjustlaw said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
notjustlaw said...

And no, I won't tell you to snap out of it, because to do so would mean admitting that I must also snap out of it. I'm not prepared to do that yet.

Lindsay said...

It does get better after OCI, both because you have more time and because the people in suits aren't screwing with your head. 2L is a freaking busy year, though. I think first semester was especially bad for me, probably because I was doing OCI, I was doing moot court (which you don't get credit for first semester), and I was taking Evidence (which is just hard).
I don't know what percentage of students get jobs through OCI, but it isn't high. That's why it's important to remember that it's only a small part of the process- it just feels bigger because it's extremely visible. Another good way to get a summer job is to work for a firm during the school year to get your foot in the door, and then ask them for a summer spot. Also, remember that the smaller the firm, the longer they wait to recruit summer associates. If you want to work for a small firm, you'll probably have to hang out for a while.