I'm actually getting pretty stoked about my OCI snubs (of which there are many). I understand the process and the position that these firms are put in, but each passing day further motivates me to show these fools that they made a big mistake by not recognizing what they were missing. Arrogant? Perhaps. But that's me. I know things will work out. I know I'll find a job....eventually.
I had to go through the same process in high school when over 100 college baseball coaches snubbed me because I was some wingnut playing ball at altitude. Colorado isn't the best place to play baseball if your aspiration is to play beyond high school. However, I got my break and made the most out of it. In retrospect, I wouldn't have changed anything.
In baseball, you're good if you get a hit in three at-bats. So far, I'm not even batting my weight. I feel like I'm in a slump where all I do is strike out. Still, there's always that chance for a game-winning home run. It only takes one dinger, and you're a hero. Hit that during just one interview and you're gainfully employed. You're no longer freaking out about your life, your debt, your inadequacies as a student, potential employee and/or person. It may be later, rather than sooner, but no one said this thing called law school and life would be easy. My attitude: if they don't give me an interview, fuck 'em; I'm better off without them. I'm sure David Hill would say the same too. Respect.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We apply to firms and then the Career Development Office posts which firms have turned in their list of interviewees. If you ain't on the list for that firm and you applied, you're "snubbed."
You send out resumes to firms you'd like to interview with. Then, They decide whom they'll interview. This is where the first snub may take place- these, I assume, are the snubs Bolder is referring to. Some firms send out letters to people they decide not to interview (one firm sent out particularly cruel rejection letters last year), but you know whether you were chosen for an interview because the Career Development Office posts a list of firms that have decided on interviewees online. If the firm is on that list and the Career Development office hasn't e-mailed you to say you got an interview, you've been snubbed.
Once the firms complete first round interviews, they decide whom they will invite to the firms for second round interviews. Typically the firms will call the student directly to let him know that he has been selected for a second round interview. Those who are weeded out after the first round are sent rejection letters. One firm I interviewed with in October sent me a rejection letter from the first round in January. Yeah.
Typically, after the second round is completed, firms make their decisions. This part can take a while because they have to have meetings to select candidates and then they have to wait for people to accept the positions. While they're waiting to hear if their first choice students will accept, the second, third, etc. choice students have to sit tight and pray that the first choice kids say no. You generally don't know if you're on the "wait list," but if you don't hear from the firm for a long time, that's probably the case.
So, the bottom line is there are so many ways you can get snubbed during OCI. That's what makes it so fabulous.
moop went all out on the explanation ... some guy went as a rejection letter for halloween last year. hit of the party--it rang so true for everyone
Post a Comment