I met the 1Ls today. Most of them seem nice, but social awkwardness abounded, punctuated by single men slobbering over attractive women, and people signing up for Outlaw with the caveat, "I'm not gay." The lunch was good, though, but there were some awkward silences there as well.
There's some rumors going about the halls that some of the 1Ls are incredibly rude. One story involves a 1L being a twit to Clarice in the admissions' office, who couldn't be more nice. Another involves an outright jerk who threw a student groups' food back on the table when she didn't like the taste of it. (And I quote: "Now I'm pissed. These are too sweet.") The latter story is crappy, but the former is just stupid. If ever there was a group of people you don't want to mess with, it's the support staff. The deans have the titles, but the admins run everything.
Most of them are cool, though. Welcome to Fleming, Class of '08!
Thursday, August 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I assumed from the kids. ;-)
Oooh! Was it a chunky blonde girl?
LS
It should be a crime to be mean to Clarice! She is wonderful!
I'm a big believer in karma and only feel sorry for anyone who is capable of being an ass to Clarice. She's like my Law School Mother.
I sincerely hope the stories from this past week are the product of only a few bad apples. I think some of the administrators are feeling uneasy about the new class as a whole. Let's just hope that that fear is just a bad first impression which ends up being untrue.
I was referring to the non-adopted variety. ;-) Actually, one of the guys at the Outlaw booth has an adorable little three year-old.
And no, it wasn't a chunky blonde.
Bolder: why are they feeling uneasy?
I guess with the good (1L's) you'll eventually have some bad (1L's.)
As a member of what is evidently the 1L class from hell, I would agree that there is a quite large percentage of jackass amongst my classmates. I had assumed that it might be just a law school thing, but I think it's funny that our class might be full of extra ass.
Go class of '08!
LS
Zing!
So, who's your favorite 1l weirdo so far? I've seen a guy who might possibly be a hobo, a lady who constantly honks when she breathes, and also a fella I like to think of as "Doogie Howser, JD"
LS
Oh, and the thought of someone being mean to Clarice gave me an immediate flash of a 1l in a Hannibal Lecter mask being wheeled around Fleming on a dolly.
But maybe that's just me...
Clarice was my saving grace in law school, helping me through the loss of my cell phone, Indian law textbook, and through the whole study abroad thing. Anyone who is not nice to her is an idiot frankly. And reading these posts reminds me so so much of why I'm glad I am no longer in law school. I went to the GWU admitted students (+ significant others) day yesterday and nearly vomited in terror.
Out of ~165 people, you're bound to get some assholes. I think that number doubles when you talk about law students. However, I also think it may be a little premature to say this is the "class from hell." I thought 1/2 my classmates were total wankers after the first month of school (see my post on awkward statements made by law students a few months ago). After getting to know many, though, I've changed my opinion and call most of my classmates "friends."
Read back through Buffs and others' blogs from last year: you'll find a similar progression in the current-3Ls and my class. Although some 3Ls still think my class sucks, I think most would agree that, as a whole, we've chilled out, become more social and integrated into CU Law's laid-back culture fairly well now.
this type of thing happens every year. the 1Ls come in and the rest of the law school is shocked by how rude, annoying, clueless, and overzealous they are. you have no idea how many times last year we made fun of the 1Ls for doing things we had done as 1Ls (but conveniently had forgotten about). we thought the whole class was a bunch of over-achievers who needed to chill out. i'm sure the 3L class of 2003 thought the same of us. people will chill out and act like themselves after a couple of weeks.
Welcome to the high school side of law school ...
There's badasses, and then there's outright rudeness. High school or not, don't f*ck with Clarice.
Legalschmegal, drop my a line at hakimshammara-cublawg@yahoo.com if you'd like to join the cuBlawg frenzy. Now if only we could figure out where LIT has gone off to...
FWIW, I hadn't noticed any a$$h0le$ at all. Mighta got lucky with the sections/advisors though. Met the son of the Gov. of Iowa... we graduated HS from towns in next-door counties, which, given the population of the area, makes us kindred spirits (though a decade-and-a-half apart in age). Had a lot of fun debating the HateCrime moot court issue, everyone was polite though we couldn't come to an agreement. I guess I just liked everybody. Call me Pollyanna.
Post a Comment