Wow I just typed up a whole post and Blogger cracked out. So this is more brief than it was a moment ago.
I received an advice- seeking email from an incoming 1L. So i've included the gist of his email below and added some comments.
First and foremost- take this blawg with a grain of salt. Especially around finals time. Everyone (and you will as well) turns into an asshole. See last post.
Second- housing- —best places to live? Best way to find a roommate? Live with other law students? Timing—is it possible to wait until August to find a place?
-Answer: I say live in town, but live on a busline. Best way to find a roommate- I can't answer that. I lived in the area so I already knew people. If you're coming from elsewhere and don't know anybody- I'm not sure. I'd personally suggest getting a random roommate for just a year, then you can move in second year with someone you know and like. But someone else may comment below as to that. I'd suggest looking at craigslist. Don't wait til august. too stressful. I'd say get it done by end of july.
Third: Car—can one get by without a car? Is it advisable?
Yes. You'll probably bus/bike/walk to class. You won't live on campus, so you will definitely have somewhere to park a car. So bring it if you want.
Fourth: 0L Summer—what did you do, was it worth it? What should you have done?
I worked. But I'd already worked for a few years. I'd say RELAX. Read crappy trashy nonsense fiction. Watch tv all day. Sleep. Don't read the books everyone says to read. Waste of your time. No matter what, your first month will suck. Then it gets better. Just do what you want to do all summer and enjoy yourself.
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
95 comments:
re: summer
Make as much money as you possibly can - even if it takes working 60+ hour weeks. You will be happy you have something to count on when your loans/scholarship/nest egg/little Timmy's college fund runs out. Plus your crazy summer will make law school studying bearable.
Take all the advice you get with a huge bushel of salt (including this). Everyone you meet will be quick to tell you the "secrets" to succeeding at everything. People with no jobs will tell you exactly how to get one, and people that have never gotten As will tell you exactly how to get them. Learn to evaluate sources - they aren't all right, and even if they are, what they have to say may not be right for you.
I would generally agree about the advice not to read law books, but then again, Campos's book (Jurismania) spelled out in precise detail the answer for one of the big questions on his final last fall. It wasn't impossible to answer the question without having read the book, but I didn't hear anyone who read it complaining (I did and pulled an A on the exam, and others did as well).
Is anyone going to the campus-wide graduation ceremony?
Hello 1L,
First, attending orientation is not necessary. You need to buy your books and get your student ID, and meet other students and go out at night, but attending all of the events (like Career Services telling you that you don't have to be in the top 10% for them to get you a job, which pretty much just fills you in on the dirty little secret that you do, or SP telling you about outlining all semester)really are a waste of time unless you feed off of that nervous anticipation.
Next, this blog isn't really indicative of the culture at CU law. Most of us are pretty laid back, will absolutely offer notes and/or outlines to someone who has skipped lots of class, etc. I can't imagine a more laid back law school environment. This blog is just a place to vent and many of the comments are a result of some of us trying to get the few "gunners" all hyped up.
Last, always remember that the ultimate goal is to find a job at the end of school. Profs will make you feel like crap for missing class, but remember, if you aren't at the top of your class, your grades aren't going to get you a job. Going to events, working a law job, and networking are. Don't take your eye off the prize!!
Enjoy your summer!
The earlier I figured out what I wanted to do, the better it was for me. It allowed me to get an offer despite my crappy grades and generally failure to participate in anything school-related. Work and externships are going to be way more important than school. If you are going to be a fuck up, be a fuck up in school.
anon 10:42, what the f language are you speaking?
from above the law: "If you're a student or alumnus of a state school and have a professor you really dislike, try this: FOIA the contents of his or her work email account."
Whose do you think would be the most interesting?
Three words for you, incoming 1L. Duck and cover! Looks like you've got the idea.
1 word that will get you through law school:
Alcohol
interesting thought iwilltortyou,
i'd say campos would be the most interest - although, maybe that's because i saw him scurrying around in sweatpants once, and my mind is far too...creative
my reccomendation is to not attend law school if you have any doubts or are only doing it for financial reasons. i only did it for financial reasons, and because i fell out of the top 10%, let alone 15%, i cant even get a job interview...i would have been better off going to grad school and studying what i actually had interest in than pursuing money which ultimately i wont even have...
Does anyone know why our ceremony lasts a whopping 2.5 hours??? There aren't that many of us. I feel sorry for my family for having to sit for that long.
cheesetastic speeches, im guessing.
about how we're going to change the world blah blah blah
or at least the top 10% of us will buy some pretty sweet rides
Anon. 12:25,
Screw my family, I feel sorry for myself having to sit through that garbage.
Does anyone else think that Dean G. is a bit of a douche for trying to act like he knew all of us at graduation? My family could totally tell that he was faking it and that he didn't really know anyone who he mentioned. Pathetic example of the disconnect between admin and students at CU Law.
Whoa... get over it ... we're done... leave bitching and law school behind!
I read a book. For fun. For the first time in 3 years. Happy Graduation, All!
So... when are we going to start complaining about grades being late?
Ha! When are they due? If it helps, the grades status board is up, so you can F5 your way to fitness.
Grades are not due until the very end of May (30th or 31st?). Until then, relax!
Grades aren't due until the end of may, but some are up and quite a few are in progress!
I think 8:02 was joking (I know, because I wrote the post and do not care when grades come out). 1:00 got the joke. 2:15 did not.
I only care because I don't want them to take away my diploma! Other than that, don't give a rat's ass.
IIRC, they only give the diploma after profs eyeball 3L exams (not fully grade it) to make sure each was a passing exam. So, if you have your diploma in hand, you can rest easy that you got at least a passing grade. The only ones who need be on pins-and-needles are the "potential" order-of-the-coif people. Those are the only grades that matter to anyone.
Is this true? They actually sort 3L exams and then "eyeball" them? Wow. Who knew?
Anyone use Spring cell service? Does it work well in Boulder?
Anon 8:54, if that is true, you just made my day, and I kind of want to hump you leg with delight. Call me!;)
Sprint* cell service. *Sprint*
Sprint works fine in Boulder - you lose reception going up to Nederland though.
No, the grade eyeballing thing is not true. The registrars office "presumes" graduation without making anyone looking at grades before handing out diplomas. They do this, though, because everyone passes (yes, even if you got a 41 in Hoffmans law in biology class).
anon 12:20 is wrong. The professors 'eyeball' exams to make sure that all graduating students will receive at least a 72 in their class
10:19 is partially right, as I understand it. As we are required to have a 72 or higher average, those who are at or near a 72 average are eyeballed to ensure they received a 72 or higher. For those not near the 72 line, the exams are eyeballed to ensure a 60 or higher. Or so I understand...
off topic, but does anyone know something about the 3l who got kicked out right before graduation by DM? that seems so awful...
I didn't hear about this. Is this true? For what? Honor Code?
People were talking about it as we filed up to walk - and apparently DM made some comment about it to our health class, supposedly the student plagiarized?
Without knowing the details, that would SUCK.
I heard that too. DM should NEVER discuss honor code violations with students. I guess she's above the law.
im mostly surprised the name of the student hasn't gotten out considering how small our community is...
That totally sucks!!! Can whoever it was come back and finish or are you out for good when that happens?
I'm surprised no one has wanted to hang the person (I don't know who it is and I'm a 3L). Not suggesting it. Just surprised. It does seem rather extreme to expel someone for an honor code violation, with no chance of reparation, a few days before graduation.
Attn: incoming 1L,
This is what law school is really like. Pay close attention to the baseless rumors and very strong language behind them. Every asshole you meet thinks they know everything and present it in a matter of fact way. And then argue semantics if proven wrong.
By the way - the grade eyeball thing is not true - I asked Cindy about it and that is what she told me.
blawg administrators should consider deleting anon. 3:02's comment implicating certain students.
initials are not implication. DM also apparently outed the student in her class, so i don't see a problem, captain censorship.
Plus, I don't think the fact that these people weren't visible last semester means anything. 80% of the 3L class wasn't "visible." Did she really out the person in her class? As in name names? Ouch, if true.
anon 2:11
Im glad to see that some people have a realistic view of DM at this school, and know what she's really about.
I always thought DM was a good prof, but have become somewhat disillusioned by her. I know she has a bad rep in general and that people think she's a beyotch. I actually find her quite engaging, but that's as far as it goes anymore. I didn't know she was fond of disciplinary proceedings, though.
also, has it occurred to everyone else that, while we have a lot of good profs, a huge majority of them are a little wacky? I guess that's what happens when you stay in law school indefinitely!
Man he talked a lot of shit about people behind that anonymous moniker. It's too bad people figured it out after he left the state. Would have been hilarious to see his face when people confronted him about his chickenshit comments.
who figured it out - how do we know it's him?
ok enough bad-mouthing and rumor starting. Also I'm removing the full name mention of DG. and the particularly derogatory comment about DM. I'm happy to let the blawg get somewhat out of control but I would not like to be semi-publicly insulted to myself, thus i will not allow that to happen to others. enough said. carry on otherwise!
big ups to mm
Now I am confused. Was DG the infamous MS? Or is DG the person who spoke for 45 minutes at graduation? Was MS a recently graduated 3L? I don't want to out him/her, but curiosity is getting the best of me.
Huh, I am a graduating 3L, I just looked at TWEN, there is someone with those initials, and I still have no idea who that person is. I guess he never said anyting derogatory about me, so whatever.
I'm the one deleting the comments. I am not friends with this person and actually have no idea who it is. I tried to look on the facebook but didn't figure anything out. Regardless, MS is an asshole ('mushroom stamp'- gross). But, since there's no way for me to tell who made the MS comment posts, I can't know who MS really is, thus I will be deleting reputation-damaging comments.
Where was that attitude when Stamp talked shit about Jenn after she passed away and no admin had the balls to do anything about it?
sorry, I never saw that. I definitely wouldn't have hesitated to delete that.
-MM
MS is not on the TWEN facebook because he transferred as a 2L (right?). He IS on the real facebook, though.
MS is not DG (whoever that is). He transferred as a 2L. I thought everyone knew his identity.
11:17,
Despite what CG may have told you, there was a basis for the "eyeball" theory proposed by several students. A Prof wrote that exact thing last year on this very blawg.
http://cublawg.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html
Read the story posted by Prof. LH, then begin arguing semantics as you have been proven wrong.
To the 1Ls:
Talk to--and actually listen--to lawyers and law students. When they tell you that going to law school was a huge mistake, give their opinion some serious consideration. This especially goes out to those who are going back to school to switch careers and giving up sizeable amounts of income for this awesome "learning experience."
To the 1L's:
Listen to Anon 7:41. Really, really, listen. I know I wish I had.
New 1Ls - Law school is great.
Most people on this blog are people who never accept any personal responsibility for the things that happen to them. If they don't have a job, it's career services fault. If they got a bad grade on an exam, its because law school grading is so "arbitrary." If someone cheats and gets kicked out of school, it's DM's fault.
One thing you'll never hear someone on this blog say is, "I did poorly on an exam because the rest of the class studied more, or is smarter." It's always someone else's fault.
Take responsibility for your own failures, and successes for that matter. You'll be better in law school, and in life, for it.
Always remember the "Chewbacca Defense," because you can basically say anything during closing:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/
I'm glad the honor code is finally being taken seriously because in previous years It has been virtually imaginary resulting in a slap on the wrist at most.
I think it's really unfortunate that said 3L did not graduate, but said 3L must have done something pretty horrible for DM to take such action.
Said 3L has no one to blame but themselves.
Are you sure this is not a baseless rumor?
I accidentally heard about a 3L who violated an honor code but he was able to graduate. But maybe it was just a rumor because he was able to graduate.
Hey 5:24, haven't your legal writing profs told you that "said" shouldn't be used? P.S. No 3Ls were expelled before graduation, this blawg is full of LIES, LIES!!!
Wow - baseless accusations made by anonymous commenters - I can't believe it. I just can't imagine that something said on the blog wouldn't be true. Maybe we should all (especially as future attorneys) withhold judgment before receiving proof especially from anonymous commenters.
On the other hand, who does it harm to place blame for random acts on specific people without proof? Lets reinstate conviction by faceless accusation ala witch trial. Reputation in the legal community is overrated anyway.
Bottom line is, if you are going to make accusations without proof, at least put your name behind it. That way, you can stake your reputation to your attempts at ruining someone elses - God knows that the blog admins aren't going to their part in removing anonymous inappropriate comments.
Hey Michael, excellent use of sarcasm.
I just want to say this:
Studying for the bar sucks.
you're already studying for the bar?
man, i feel like a slacker...
and come on, the rumormongering and baseless accusation are what makes the blawg fun! it's like the perez hilton of law school. if it weren't so full of bickering and pettiness i probably wouldn't visit this site as often.
I'm only studying if you count reviewing flash cards at Elitch's while chaperoning a middle-school field trip after getting sick on the Twister-II, yes, I'm studying already. BarBri homestudy is a wonderful thing. I'm interrupted so often -- like for eighth-grade graduation today, and senior night last night, that I had to get a head start. I made myself a little schedule, and started on Monday. I'm already two days behind schedule. I am so hosed.
8th grade graduation?
Gotta be Coffinberry. No one else fits. Senior. 8th grade graduation. Are you doing it yourself, CB? No formal bar prep course? Brave woman.
Hey Cadoner - thanks for the compliment.
I was in DM's class. She didn't say the name of any student. She had just found out about the incident and was late for class because of it. She apologized for being late and flustered and just gave us (the class) a talk on the importance of not stealing ideas and work. We were in the midst of writing seminar papers, so she said it in the context of providing citations for our work. It was general. DM is tough, but a good person. I get the sense that she wants to elevate and protect CU Law's reputation. Nothing wrong with that.
anyone know what the holdup is with advanced contracts grades? theyve been yellow since the board went up...
There are several that have been yellow forever... doesn't it mean that the Prof is being asked to justify the spread of grades?
@anon 10:43 - per Prof. LH's post (http://cublawg.blogspot.com/2007/06/grades-explained.html) a yellow listing can mean several things. The most likely scenarios are:
1) The professor is in the process of adjusting grades for class participation;
2) CG is in the process of entering the grades;
3) The grades don't have an 84 median (if they are higher, the professor may be negotiating with DM to keep them that way, especially if the class is small or non-sectioned).
Less-likely scenarios include possible honor code violations or review of failing grades.
There are lots of other interesting tidbits in LH's post if you're obsessing over your grades.
not obsessing over my grades, but the holdup is costing me a job opportunity if i don't get them soon.
Um, the grades are not even due in to CG until today (meaning the line only has to be yellow). There is no known deadline for completed and entered grades (and ranks). Last summer, transcripts and ranks came out early-mid June.
Just looked at the class composite today. AS made me laugh with the big wig. Nice one!
Stamp may have been an axx and a misogynist, but racist? That's new.
hi all- I deleted a few comments- some weren't bad at all but referenced something I felt that was inappropriate to have in our blawg. I'll post something new.
Mr. Meatsir...
You sound like a self-important douche. Yes, law students gripe, but at the end of the day we are all smart enough to know that life is only a product of what we make it. At the same time, there are legitimate criticisms of our law school and law school in general... while ostensibly helpful to 'incoming 1L's' your comments seem overly immature and reek of the problems they seek to address - we will receive them accordingly.
P-dizzle & peace out
-Anon
Post a Comment