As I came to class today, I realized this is my last day of 2L class, and was shocked at how quickly the time has passed. Then I stopped being so self-absorbed, and realized this must be a crazy day for the 3Ls. Anyhow, congratulations, and good luck with bar review coming up.
btw- any comments from 3Ls re PMBR v BarBri, etc? I feel like I ought to pay now for these things... also July v Feb bar?
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
82 comments:
Good post. Not too crazy of a day for 3Ls, since most of us stopped going to class months ago, and it is more of a whimper than a bang because everyone ends at different times. I think some 3Ls are going to Vegas to celebrate.
Regarding Bar/bri v. PMBR. You save $$ the earlier you sign up for either. Bar/bri was $1500 if you signed up 1L year, $1795 if you signed up 2L year, and $2000 if you sign up now. If you have an employer paying for you, then I would not worry too much about it.
I have heard from several grads that PMBR is and is not helpful. I will probably just get the books and not take the class. Some people do the same with Bar/bri. It depends how regimented you can be on your own.
Most people take the July bar, as they must begin jobs/clerkships in September or October. If you can wait until February to take it, though, more power to you.
Pay now for sure. And take the MPRE this August if you can swing it, it is nice to have it done and out of the way.
The early PMBR class was nice as it provided a nice wake-up call as to the difficulty of the multiple-choice portion of the bar. I didn't rmember a single item PMBR taught by the end of Barbri, but I wasn't as intimated by the multiple-choice section becuase of the experience. There is really no difference between the February and July bars. A co-worker just took the February bar and said there were at least 1,000 people taking it. So the numbers are getting closer.
Pay for Barbri now.
Yeah, didn't go to class because I'm working on a paper that's due tomorrow.
I'd like to add that the bar app is awful, and no one at the board of law examiners returns my calls. When I called them today I couldn't even get through to voicemail to leave a message so that they could not call me back. grumble, grumble.
More on topic, it's nice to be done with class. And the 3Ls don't know about the benefits of PMBR vs. BarBri yet, because we haven't started the classes. I will say, though, that the pass rates for those who do and don't take BarBri are pretty much the same, especially for folks who are higher up in the rankings. Of course, only the people who can motivate themselves to stick to a study program self-select to opt out, it's not a controlled experiment.
I skipped my final day. Classes mean nothing as a 3L.
As far as PMBR goes, I think the CDs are available in the same place most of us get our music, movies, and porn. Can't beat the price.
Speaking of skipping classes...anyone care to help out a lazy 3L? Just need to know if outlines are allowed for the following exams:
1) Crim Pro - Ohm
2) Enviro Law - Burkett
3) Employ Discr - Hart
Can't really email profs when you haven't been forever. Thanks a million.
mmmm porn
I have the same question as anon 925, but for secured transactions.
For Secured Trans: no outlines.
For Employment Discrimination with Hart you can have everything that you generate on your own (no commercial stuff).
i'm taking bar bri and both pmbr classes even though i'm paying for it all myself, only b/c i know that no matter how much money i save, not passing the bar would be DEVASTATING and not worth any amount of $$ I saved by not taking the classes. I realize I could still not pass the bar even though I've paid for all the classes, but then I can't blame my failure on my frugality-just my stupidity!
Anonymous 6:00 PM, April 24, 2008 - the trick to calling Board of Law Examiners is NOT to leave a message. Instead, call the main contact number, wait for the prompt and dial 0. A real person answers the phone and answers your question quickly (albeit, not in the most friendly manner).
9:25 AM, April 25, 2008 -
Hart ED - open note, open book, suppl book, statutory suppl. (no commercial outlines)
Thank you, anon 12:09 for Hart info. I really appreciate it.
Ditto, thanks for the info.
So our commencement speaker could be much worse.
Who are all of you people who email profs with the most insanely detailed questions? I swear, for one class the prof has copied the class on 25 of them. Really? You guys really worry about those questions? It makes me feel slightly better, though, as it shows me I never stood a chance compared to you hyper-vigilant folks. May you come out on the high side of the curve...you deserve it.
19years, I'm in the same class and it is driving me CRAZY. Stop it, you little nitpickers.
I'm in that class, also. OMG. STOP!!!!!!!!! Let me take my C- or D+ and graduate without your gunner spam.
I'm glad other people are tired of this. I'm going to add AC to my spam list in a minute. Who are these people if we're all bitching about it, though? I'd try to figure it out, but I wasn't in that class often enough to remember anyone else.
Whoa! I just got an email from MW. Do we seriously have someone in our class named Merlin? That is some hardcore wizard shit, yo. Bwizzah!
so...please excuse my ignorance, but who IS the commencement speaker?
Yes. There is a Merlin. And I have no idea who our commencement speaker is. This email question thing is annoying. And I'm in tears again after reading the bio Jenn's family wrote. Melts my cold little heart. You want some fun? I've been to DV, like, three times, and I haven't studied today at all. Final tomorrow.
where is the bio for Jenn?
mw just sent an email w/ 2 attachments. one is the bio jenn's p's wrote.
Merlin is a good cat. Got a couple classes with the guy. You guys should get to know him.
Up to 28 questions emailed by AC, as of now. And Merlin is a great guy. Chill, but gets the work done.
And anon. 8:01, the speaker doesn't matter to me. I'm just going to be sleeping in my chair, anyway.
fatty j, I'm not getting to know anyone else in law school. Orientation is over, know what I mean? I know who M is. He's a good guy.
Any tips on studying for domestic violence (the class) for a slacker who's been there only a couple of times?
Need a break? 'Cause this is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbs64GvGgPU&feature=related
Summary of DV Class
1. DV is bad
2. People shouldn't do it
3. We should arrest everyone who does it
4. Richardson thinks DV is bad
I wouldn't give the AC "gunners" so much credit. A lot of those questions are extremely basic, and I'm surprised he entertained them. I'm glad it stopped. It's stressful to get 20+ questions emailed to you the night before an exam.
Does anyone remember DK from 1L who, in CrimLaw with Ramsey said, "I'm against domestic violence." Whatever happened to that poor little guy?
I want Kim D. to have my babies. She is teh uber hawtness.
Gotta love finals. 2 down, 2 to go. Btw, you 2Ls are really serious about this stuff. Good luck to you! You deserve a good grade.
So, I'm sitting in the library, and someone nearby is coughing constantly. Seems like a nice guy, so nothing personal & all, but if you're constantly coughing and people are trying to study, it can get a bit annoying. At the very least, bring cough drops, no? Is there some sort of code of library etiquette on this subject? Or, as is more likely the case, is my finals schedule just making me way too edgy?
Anon. 3:03:
I feel your pain but given that some people hold phone conversations from their table in the library, I'd guess that any code is out the window. As it turns out, the library hasn't been a great place to study.
headphones/earplugs = great inventions
complaining = bad invention
Telling people to shut up= best invention
What was up with the swarm of undergrads in the library tonight? I normally don't mind them but this crew was being really loud.
It is really annoying.
I KNOW! It was driving me nuts too!
Hey, c'mon. Take it easy on the undergrads! Film & Society is a real ball-buster of a class.
Yeah, so is law and literature!
Simply tell the undergrads to leave. You have the right, as a law student to have a friendly studying environment.
After 5pm they are not allowed in the library anyhow. If they are not conducting themselves in an appropriate manner they need to go. It would go the same for one of your classmates.
I talked to the PMBR rep and I understand, now, that this course will really help me pass the bar. I signed up for the 3-day; I think it will be helpful. Thank you.
What is a "library"? Is that like a "gym"?
I don't know much (especially about the law) but I'll tell it is WAY to nice outside to be stuck inside not drinking.
Actually, I've heard that the PMBR course is not worth the money. After all, you get all that stuff covered in BARBRI, and the fact that they scheduled it immediately after classes end is an insult to all of us.
Bar app due tomorrow. Final tomorrow. Bleh.
Way to plug the PMBR, shameless student rep trying to make a commission!
Anyone know if the bar app has to be in their hands tomorrow? Or just postmarked? Don't want to drive to Denver.
Instructions say postmarked.
Well...I am not a PMBR rep but have signed up for the class because I think it will be helpful. I heard good things about it in the past and, as someone said in an earlier post, I will at least feel like I have done everything I can to pass the bar. People can make their own choice based on their motivation level and self-discipline. I feel so unmotivated that I need all the help and hand-holding I can get.
As to the bar application- it just needs to be postmarked, but they recommend delivery confirmation on it.
OH CRAP! I'm trying to fill out the rest of my online bar application and only about 1/2 of what I'm entering is showing up!!!Anyone else having this issue?
Yes... and if you put it in again, it makes for funny blank spots in the application when it is printed out. I ended up having to go back in before submitting to delete the blanks from the first failed entry. Sorry for the bad news.
Coffinberry (who is too busy studying to look for her password.
AAAAAARGH. Nice system, Bar Examiners! Trying to study for finals and meet your deadline, and I'm wasting about five times more time than necessary.
Also remind the circulation people that they are suppose to check the IDs of the students after 5 p.m.
I don't know about this year, but last year, I heard that when undergrads say that they have to use the computer lab downstairs, they were let into the library, because they have the right to access the computers.
I don't know if that's the case this year as well.
But don't let the undergrads jeopardize your cramming.
no one was checking ID's tonight.
I've got a final tomorrow and I've spent the entirety of today either sleeping, playing GTA4 or playing rock band. God bless America.
The Feb 2008 bar exam results are out. The overall pass rate, 56%, was lower than it's been in recent years (I believe the pass rate had been around 65%). Are the bar examiners letting fewer people pass?
CU's overall pass rate was 53%. Of those who took the test for the first time (8 people), the pass rate was 75%. Congrats to those who passed.
I graduated last spring and signed up for PMBR and Barbri - do yourself a favor: don't waste your money on PMBR. It is NOT helpful, but it IS expensive.
BK 12:14 - shameless.
Am I missing something-- BK is not a PMBR rep- what's shameless?
The 3-day PMBR class consists of a simulated multistate exam on the first day, and then you spend the next 2 WHOLE DAYS listening to someone on a video go over the answers. The problem is that the 3-day class occurred after Bar-Bri was already over. So first of all, it is during crunch time. And second of all, PMBR's methods and pneumonic devices vary slightly from Bar-Bri's--which can mean confusion--which is not what you want so close to the exam. In retrospect, I would just stick with Bar-Bri.
Why does the Burger King care about PMBR?
re: DK
Im guessing he transferred or dropped out, considering how mean our entire section was to him. He wasn't an idiot, when you have 20+ people laughing at you, well, that can't feel too great, can it?
Sure, he raised his hand too often, but so did many of the people who laughed at him.
It was a pretty awful and, ultimately, sad thing.
On an unrelated note, if anybody wants to sell me their secured transactions supplement to me, please email me at legalschmegalcu@gmail.com. Mine has met an untimely demise.
did you flush it down the shitter?!
supplements are a crutch for people with too much money and too few braincells.
Hey 3:41, class is a crutch for those incapable to understanding the material on their own and studying is a crutch for those not naturally talented enough to wing the majority of their way through school.... so seriously, check your ego, cause you're obviously insecure about yourself, so just recognize!
BTW: supplements save a shitload of study time and are a smart way to maximize efficiency so you can do things other than waste time in the library.
Just to clarify, I meant the statutory supplement assigned for class.
law school is for people with too much money and too few brain cells
well 348, i don't go to the library, i almost never go to class, and i barely study, and i probably have better grades than you. boo hoo.
I can't wait to graduate and get away from you snarky types. Life's too short to be so grouchy.
it's fun to intentionally annoy the people who have annoyed me for the last three years. although, a little too easy.
I haven't studied for more than a few hours for any exams in law school. Luckily, my mom is a partner in a firm (out of state) so it didn't matter that I only managed to best a C a handful of times. I'll still be cashing in the six figure salary that some of you workaholics couldn't even land! lol. Who gets the last laugh now? suckers.
Jesus always gets the last laugh.
No, that would be Dean Getches.
Dear Anon 9:47,
Thanks so much for reminding us all why we don't like douchebags like you. So glad you can live off of your momma's milk for the rest of your life. Good luck with that. The rest of us can go on knowing we got there on our own.
The rest of us can hold our heads high. No matter what we are doing, or what firm we are with, at least we know we got our jobs because we deserve it, or at least that they wanted to hire us, not because our parents made them.
Anon. 4:03,
I'd rather be handed jobs I didn't deserve than make my own way and be poor after $90k in debt and 3 years of torture. Point is, I don't have a job yet and I need one.
Anon. 9:47, hook a brotha up.
Anon. 4:03:
Nepotism is probably far more pervasive than you realize. In fact most people are in law school because mommy and daddy helped pay the way, in some form or another. Get used to it and take everything written on this blog with a grain of salt.
Salt, unlike sand through the hourglass, will dissolve in water.
Personally, I remember next to nothing about first year. Unfortunately, that's what the Multistate tests. I'd recommend July over February because you're likely to have forgotten every last bit of information you learned 8 months after graduation.
Also, I'd be in favor of doing a bar review course offered through the law school. It seems a bit ridiculous that I have to shell out $3000 to learn what I should already know. As for PMBR, the advantage from what I've heard from bar-takers is that their multiple choice questions are harder and more closely resemble the actual MBE questions. BarBri's, apparently, are too easy. At least get the books. The lectures are not that great, but the practice questions are useful. Note, for what it's worth, that PMBR prohibits you from reselling your books though.
Post a Comment