Since some people seem upset with the level of policing on the blog, I will, for a while, censor the comments that "divide and hurt people." I've always seen this as an open forum where you could write just about anything without fear of negative repercussions. Obviously, there are some who don't like this openness and some who suggest this blog potentially hurts the school (obviously that is something I'd like to avoid).
I've also added a couple admins to the list of comment recipients (you know who you are), so they too can read every single comment like I do. I encourage the other admins to participate in "cleansing" this blog. Feel free to use your own discretion when deleting comments--I'll need the help because I'm certain my discretion is more permissive.
-RE
So let's give this a test run: I'm interested in reading what people would like to see done by the newly elected SBA officers. I think better access to the school is probably near the top of this list. This has been a sore topic for a while and efforts have been made to make this happen, but as everyone knows, big change takes time.
24 comments:
What are some of the things that the SBA has done in the past that are of note? It seems that since the building was built, there isn't much that they have done. Do they do work "behind the scenes" that we do not see?
P.S. I think you may be killing the blog. Congratulations.
Fascism is alive and kicking on the CuBlawg --- thanks, Admins, I knew you wouldn't let us down! You even threw in a reference to "cleansing" --- it couldn't have scripted better. Does anyone have any doubt that the same type of people who like to volunteer to "control" things like blawgs have a penchant for censoring thought, policing ideas, and deciding what's worthy and what's not? There seems to be only one outstanding question in my mind --- how long will you cowards keep this message on "your" blawg before it, too, gets "cleansed?"
Rather than "cleansing the blawg," why not just make it so you cannot post anonymously. Leave the conversation open and free and then let people defend their comments publically. Free debate. Insult away. And be responsible.
I wanted to post non-anonymously because, as some of you may remember last year, I've been the "victim" of "meanspirited" postings on the blog. I'm also in favor of anonymous, and even meanspirited and idiotic, postings on the blog.
I post fairly frequently, but almost always anonymously, because I'm too lazy to come up with cute names to post under and can't be bothered to log in. I think that allowing anonymous posting encourages more posts on the blog, and allows ideas to be considered on their merits rather than the merits of the poster.
Yes, mean and hurtful and idiotic things are said. That's free speech, and I'm for it, even though sometimes people's feelings get hurt.
I hope that any employer or prospective student who looked at the blog would understand that there are a few idiots and meanies in any group, and that ours are just more visible because we have a public and anonymous forum.
I think this blog has become useless. I do however log in once in awhile and read a few posts to see if anyone has anything interesting to say. I become bored quickly. Back in the day, there were interesting posts about employment prospects, the merits of OCI, and best/worst professors. Now the blog has become a bitch fest - boring.
BTW - There are very few things that need to be censored on a blog in this day and age. I can't imagine what all the deleted comments are about.
I've left the last few comments up because, although they don't relate to the current thread, they relate to a thread I just posted
I'd just like to throw out a few random thoughts:
First, I'm all for an open forum on this blog. I think that anonymous comments and a permissive atmosphere are a good thing. Do I like abusive and nasty anonymous comments? No. However, I would happily put up with those comments as the price for an open and frank dialog on this site.
Secondly, and this is somewhat off topic, I disagree with the initial system used for professors and administrators. While I understand and appreciate the rationale with respect to students, professors and administrators are public in a way that students are not. Since this blog has been (and hopefully continues to be) an open forum for the airing of grievances, I think it is productive to name a professor or admin by name. If dean X or prof Y is being an ass, I say name them. I am a big believer in having a student voice on that sort of thing, and listing a dean by an ambiguous initial does nothing for present and potential students.
Third, I sincerely hope that this blog doesn't go away. I've seen it accomplish change at the law school, seen it used as a helpful outlet for frustrated sentiments, and have seen it be occasionally hilarious. These things have a life cycle like anything else, but I hope that it isn't killed with comment-deleting kindness.
Here are some things I think HM and company should work on.
(1) Attracting and retaining excellent professors. This implies the negative as well, namely, eliminating lousy ones. RB shouldn't be back here next year. I also think it's ridiculous that she was allowed to teach Constitutional Law after doing a poor job in Wills and Trusts. That class is far too important. additionally, Dean DM told the current third years that our class sizes were large because only the best of the best could teach the precious 1Ls. We have other professors who can teach Constitutional Law. SM is an excellent new professor who has taught Con Law at Marquette (and won teaching awards) who could have taught the class.
(2) Career development. We do an awful job of placing students who are interested in working at a big firm or doing clerkships. We can provide more than a link on CD Online. It might be nice if there were a student forum on CD Online where alums and students could discuss externships and give examples about how they found their job in a particular area. You could divide this up by practice area.
(3) Undergrads. It's better, but still a problem apparently. I suggest having parking stickers available for free after hours, so that we at least don't get boxed out of our own lot. BB is absolutely delusional about the amount of access undergraduates need to the library. That said, I don't care too much because I'm a 3L and have largely stopped studying.
(4) LRAP/scholarships. Top tier schools have impressive loan repayment programs. We don't.
Let me add as well. The issue regarding the undergrads in the library and its ridiculously limited hours of access is not a dead horse. I admit that it is a lot less crazier than before but now I'm sitting in the library wondering if I should tell the undergrads chatting too loudly to shut up. It is too bad that the few obnoxious undergrads are giving the other undergrad a bad reputation, but is there anyway we can restrict their access?
Do they really need unfettered access to a LAW library? Some are studying, but I see some just using up our computer space watching a movie right now.
I agree that the undergrads who answer cell phones and socialize at the library are a problem. But I have just as often had problems with other law students in the library. There is a group of 1L girls who comes in almost every day during lunch, whispering and giggling. A 2L answered his phone sitting right next to me in the library last week. The problem is people being disrespectful and not just the undergrads.
Anon 8:05 - I am glad that you support improving our Loan repayment program. While I recognize the amount we offer is not substantial, the administration is working hard to raise money to endow the program so we can award more money. I think scholarships are also really important to try to help students do public interest work. DM told the students at the SBA leadership retreat this fall that CU spends a smaller percentage of its money on scholarships than other top tier schools. After my scholarships were cut in half despite having done well first year I strongly considered transferring. There needs to be a much bigger push for continuing scholarships for 2Ls and 3Ls and not just to get people in the door.
Good idea about having something more than the CD Online. Difficulty in placing students in various fields like clerkship and big firms seems to be a chronic problem with the Career Development Office. I know they need more people in their office, and they have students to do certain jobs, but I don't know if this is wise because some may have access to other students' information. Hiring more people is not the solution. But I can't think of any more ideas to improve student placement and student career development.
Before anyone decides to freak out - as student employees in the Office of CD - we do not have open access to your student information.
Emily
I'm probably definitely posting prematurely, but hearing about these problems, ESPECIALLY scholarship being cut in half, has me rethinking my future decisions.
Here we go again. Thanks, MS.
This is not quit related to the new SBA administration, but I think the CD office often gets a bad rap. I think they do a great job of getting many government brown bags and internship sessions to the school. At that point, the onus is on the student to make the connections and get his/her foot in the door.
Notwithstanding the private practice symposium, I do wish there were more private practice "things" throughout the year. I feel like there's not a whole lot of exposure to firm people. But this is probably because firms don't want to, nor have the time to send someone up to Boulder to talk about their respective jobs. Students need to make the extra effort to network down in Denver...which brings up a great point:
KC sent out info regarding an ABA event this weekend at DU. Anyone who can attend, SHOULD! (unless you're taking the MPRE of course)
Before I found a job, I actually started going to DU's events. If any of you have a friend at DU who can forward you the information about their events, I would recommend doing so. They have a far greater number of events, and do a better job of providing contact info. I would recommend that CU start distributing sheets with presenter's contact info and bios on them. It's helpful if you're looking to network with the presenters afterwards and gives you a jumping off point. It also ensures that you have contact information, even if the presenters don't have any business cards with them.
I disagree with the previous poster who thinks CU does a good job in this respect. We need to do a much better job of disseminating information regarding externship availabilities in the public sector. Aside from the AG's, US attorney's, PD's, and DA's office, we really don't have enough contact with employers in the public sector.
God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest. ~J.G. Holland
Post a Comment