Sunday, January 27, 2008
Ah, People's Court
I've always wondered (not that much since I never bothered to look into it) how court television shows work. I heard of a friend of a friend who filed a suit in small claims court and ended up getting a letter from the People's Court inviting him to allow them to arbitrate the suit. Now it all makes sense. They 'guarantee' your settlement, presumably by paying your settlement (especially since a traditional judgment can never really be 'guaranteed' without you having to put more work into it...) and they will also pay you $250 if they decide against you. Wow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
34 comments:
It's nice to see that there's some rational decision-making involved in people's willingness to air their dirty laundry on t.v.
Integrity. How does one define it? Does one have to gain it? What shows that one has it? What causes one to lose it? Thoughts?
Thoughts. One feels captain rhetorical may be pretentious.
Guaranteed settlement is also known as Binding Arbitration
Got this post from BW... does it seems a little crazy to anyone else?
Mine Your Own Business - the Dark Side of Environmentalism
Mine Your Own Business talks to some of the world's poorest people about how some western environmentalists are campaigning to keep them in poverty because they think their way of life is quaint. It is the first documentary to ask hard questions of the environmental movement.
Free Screening
February 7, 2008
6:30 p.m.
University of Colorado School of Law
Wittemyer Courtroom
Someone tell that dude to stop sending me 5-10 emails a day. Thanks.
Get over it Cadoner. Seriously. Just get over it. There are announcements that have been deemed worthwhile for distribution. BW is the designated person to send those announcements out. Sorry you have to click delete. It must be hard for you-- awww!
I didn't realize western environmentalists were campaigning to keep poor third world countries poor. To be sure, environmentalists would like to see less (or at least more responsible) industrialism, but I don't think the goal is to keep people poor...its to keep them alive.
"I didn't realize western environmentalists were campaigning to keep poor third world countries poor."
I read the feed as saying SOME western environmentalists are keeping poor people poor. Maybe it's BS maybe not, but I would find it hard to believe that ALL western environmentalists are super duper. Maybe you should see the documentary then tell us why it's BS.
Hey - when I travel to third world countries I always give poor people my extra granola bars when I take pictures of their "quaint" mut huts (well, actually I give them the cheap Safeway brand granola bars and I keep the yummy Luna bars for myself)...
Anon 11:35, no need to be a dick. I'm not saying it's BW's fault. I'd just rather there be some sort of update site on the CU Law website than be spammed with emails all day.
RE: 'Dark Side..."
The event announcement itself is standard agit-prop, and to the extent that it gets taken at face value it is as successful as the classic gotcha question posed to a candidate: "Is it true that you beat your wife?"
It shifts the debate from the message to some red-herring that the messenger is forced to refute, giving undeserved credence to the claim. The temptation (indulged by at least one comment above) is to now discuss the relative numbers of environmentalists who want to keep 3rd world people impoverished in the name of 'quaintness.'
For some people/interests, that is a better use of our time/energy/intelligence than discussing issues relating to...umm..say...the environment. The claim is outlandish, but the tactic is far from crazy. Given how effective this type of communication has been in manipulating middle-America over the past several years, it is completely rational to expect that it will continue to work. Witness even the wee a bit of traction it's gained on this blog. If we get sucked into discussing the 'quaintness' spin, no one even has to see the movie for it to have served its purpose.
Yippee!
Today the 3Ls got their diploma request form...one step closer to the end of law school!
Yeah!
100 days till graduation
professor gazur says he is in the top 5% of wealthiest americans. he says we will all be at least in the top 10%.
Sweet!
I'm so glad he is confident in us...
Anybody hear of a mass dissatisfaction with RBs grades this last semester?
So - did any law students try out for American Gladiator on Saturday?
anyone know when we can register for summer classes?
I wonder if LT tried out - he would make a great Gladiator!
In the news today...
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2008/02/06/dnt.man.slugs.lawyer.wlex
Okay try watching it here...just play the video.
http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=7823864
Inmate Punches Attorney In Court
Here's The Guardian's review of the anti-environmentalist, pro-mining film, "Mine Your Own Business":
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1936510,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=16
The director admitted it was partly funded by a giant mining company opposed by environmentalists.
So one post a month? The cite admins are WEAK.
Arg... I'm broke... I don't have a job for aftergraduation yet... and now I have to apply for more loans so I can pay for the stupid bar class!!
Ahhhh.
My thoughts and prayers are with the NIU students tonight.
Fellow freaking out 3l, you got me thinking. I am curious how many bloggers here (2L's and 3L's) are happy with their choice to go to law school. The question is: all things considered, would you do it again?
Methinks this deserves its own thread.
Personally, yes, I would do it again -- in a heartbeat. I have the moments when I'm stressed out and wonder what the hell I'm doing here, don't get me wrong, but I have also learned some really interesting things that will help me make a difference on the issues I care about when I get out of here. Plus, I have gotten interested in things I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise . . . and made some awesome friends along the way!
OK, I'll shut up now. :)
I have mixed feelings. I've enjoyed learning about the law and getting more insight into how things "really" work. On the other hand, if I had known more about how many hours a week lawyers are expected to work and how difficult it is to balance work and life, I probably would have chosen a different career. I wish I had done more homework on the realities of practicing in the legal field.
Flat out - I would choose something else.
You know what's weak? The graduation reception menu. Yuck.
Absolutely not. I spent $100k for my JD and I never found legal work. I still do what I did before law school (clerical work). I wasn't in the bottom of my class, either.
Maybe I should be grateful. My classmates who did find legal work all hate their jobs and are now leaving the legal field.
I have really enjoyed law school. I would certainly do it again. But I'm also one of the (mentally disturbed) few who pretty much has known since high school that I wanted to be a lawyer "when I grow up" (still waiting for the growing up part to happen, but I am closer to being a lawyer).
Somebody get this discussion its own thread . . .
Post a Comment