From 'Don't tase me bro,' let's discuss the implications of the taser incident at the John Kerry speech. if you haven't watched the video, I suggest you see http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/18/student.tasered.ap/index.html#cnnSTCText (sorry don't know how to make fancy links). It's pretty upsetting when you her the taser pops.
Anyhow, a couple of comments/questions from me. it appears he was tasered by campus police- what sort of authority do they have? does the school count as quasi-municipal property? John Kerry answers the kid's questions despite all this, but I wonder whether Kerry was aware he was being tasered (he states in the linked article that he wasn't aware til he left the building), or perhaps he had no idea whether there would be more violence if the kid was not restrained. I also notice that the officers were trying to get him to turn over and that's when they tasered him. I wonder whether that was necessary- looks like there are at least 4 officers on the kid, could they not get him to turn over? Anybody around here a former law enforcement officer with any insight?
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
one more thing. i see in the article that this student is said to have a history of practical jokes and taping them. I would suppose this might play into the reasonable belief that he would cause trouble if unrestrained...
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a bunch of rent-a-cops tasing people
The thing is, 4 cops should have enough strength to just drag the kid out.
Tasing him in the middle of a large crowd was probably the most stupid thing they could've done. Methinks they were trying to impress people or wield their authorit-ah
You sure know how to suck the fun out of things. "Don't taze me bro!" was probably the funniest thing I've heard all week.
yes....it is AWESOME to see someone get tased on national television....idiot
That kid seemed like a real punk.
I haven't checked out his website to see what other antics that punk has been up to, but I think anyone who doesn't have the sense to behave in a respectful manner in front of such an esteemed guest (Sen. Kerry), deserves to be taught a lesson.
Taser: 1
Abercrombie Punk: 0
One of the main issues with taser use by the government (or rentacops) is at what point in a confrontation can the police use a taser? Most people agree that aggressive actions by an individual warrant use of a taser - ie, a guy with a knife attacks himself/others/police. Peaceful non-compliance or yelling at John Kerry shouldn't warrant taser use.
Being a "real punk" doesn't suffice either. If cops dont have cause to whack someone over the head with a baton or flashlight they probably don't have cause to use a taser. The video of this kid getting tased illustrates the problem.
Wow...if America knew then that Kerry was tougher on dissent than Bush, Kerry might be president today!
Kerry had nothing to do with what happened...he was actually trying to answer the kid when the security guards grabbed him
Do you get "tased" or do you get "tasered"?
It would have been much better if they tased/tasered Kerry. He is douche sandwich with extra douche sauce. (Bush is a douche too).
Yes, anonymous. It was awesome. Douches deserve a good jolt now and again. He was perfectly fine afterwards.
well, cadoner, tell me where to meet you so that I can gove you yours
I wouldn't worry to much about the guy. He has become something of a folk hero and he is going to make money off the idiot rent a cops. Tazing hurts but you get over it fast... I was taxed as part of a research project. At this point just laugh. And of course watch your back for the CU cops.
Tasers can kill. That, along with where in the force continuum cops can use the tasers, are the real issues. I don't actually think that arbitrary taser use on some obnoxious college kid is very funny. Its yet another example of The Man getting out of control.
The real tragedy here was that the bro wasn't even a hippie. What were the cops thinking?
Just a thought.
They just found another angle of the video, I think everyone should check this one out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzkd_m4ivmc
New discussion? Any bets on how the SCT will come out on the issue?
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/25/lethal.injection/index.html
Post a Comment