There was recently a post called "Alumni Relations" (link here: http://cublawg.blogspot.com/2007/02/alumni-relations.html) in which CU's "low employment rate" was bemoaned.
What's it like for the 3Ls out there currently trying to find jobs? Have you found them? Are you still looking? Are you happy with your job? Have you even started looking?
Any tips for those of us that aren't graduating this year, but will soon face the dreaded job search?
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
YOU'LL NEVER FIND A JOB! THERE ARE NO JOBS. EVEN THE TOP TEN % ISNT GUARANTEED A JOB. IF YOU NOT IN THE TOP 10% PREPARE YOURSELF TO HANG OUT NEAR THE FREEWAY ON RAMP WITH A SIGN THAT SAYS WILL BREIF FOR FOOD.
Just kidding. I have to agree with JQET the jobs are out there you just have to put in the effort to get them. I am moving out of state after graduation which complicated the situation a bit but am still fairly confident that the job situation is going to work out.
Along with what JQET said I would add that you should get as much practical experience as you can. Whether that be working for free during the semester etc... It is nice when there is no longer room on your resume for "Sales Associate Shucks Auto Parts"
One of the problems I have been running into, as I am still lacking a job, is that by this tim of year, any law firm job that is posted will ask for 1-3 years of experience. That has been the automatic rejection aspect for the jobs I have applied to recently. I am lucky to have a firm that, while not having current openings, is really assisting me in my search.
If you're looking for a firm job, don't limit yourself to the CDO. The "1-3" jobs are generally posted by the larger firms, which tend to dominate the attention of our friends on the third floor. Think smaller.
If you're looking for something beyond law firm life, government cheese seems to be more plentiful, though less tasty. There's also a decent number of in-house corporate jobs out there, but you need to keep your eyes open. With regards to the latter, you'll get experience you wouldn't dream of as a first-year associate.
Beyond that, I'd consider going out of state. The legal market in Colorado just doesn't compare to other states/the district, and you can get a job with the out-of-state office of a Denver BigLaw firm that you wouldn't have a shot at locally, because the local folk can afford to be choosy. For what it's worth, I jumped through a bunch of hoops with little to show for it here in Denver/Boulder, but scored four paying out-of-state offers within 72 hours.
Here's some advice I would have liked earlier on. Ask some 3Ls or attorneys you know what networking actually looks like in their experience. You do need to figure out how to network, but you need to know that what happens at Career Development events is not the only or the best way to go about it. I spent a long time being really perplexed by the fact that I was told I needed to "network," but not really knowing what that meant.
Post a Comment