There's been references to the composition of those who frequent this blawg. Specifically, a few have alleged that the only people who post material are in the "top 10%" or on Law Review. While I'm not really sure what the point is in such allegations, I can tell you that they are neither true nor relevant.
First, I'm not in the top 10%; I 'm not even in the top 20%. I don't write for the Law Review, and I don't have a job lined up after graduation. I hate elitism. I first started blogging when I was a 1L b/c I was so thoroughly pissed off at many of my classmates who I thought were elitists. Coincidently, I figured out a lot of people felt the same way as I did on a variety of law school-related topics.
Second, the whole point of this forum is that it is anonymous. Sure, I know the identity of many who post, and most know who I am, but that's irrelevant. People can be whatever they want here: funny, serious, jaded, optimistic, etc. This alter ego might be entirely different than the persona they take on in the classroom or in the hallways.
If a well-reasoned argument is made, then it'll receive due respect. Grades and ranks are completely taken out of the mix. Surprise, surprise people: this is what it'll be like when we all graduate. If you think the judge you're standing in front of cares what your grade was in Evidence or Appellate Advocacy, you're in BIG trouble. I certainly don't care.
Finally, it's nice to see that professors, administrators and others are starting to take notice of this blawg. For me, at least, it feels like progress can be made. I feel like my views, rants, and posts matter; they're no longer falling on deaf ears.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Thanks Bolder for clarifying this. I am in the same boat (not top 20%, no job etc...) I would definitely classify myself as anything but an elitist.
I know the identities of most of the contributors, and it represents a wonderful mix of grades, interests and experiences (although prominently 3L).
It would be nice to see more professors engage (even if it is anonymous) the students in the discussions here. I thought Prof. Wesson's first post really invigorated the readers and the comments.
I can say only this: holla!!
...although I do wonder if the bLawg will come up at this.
I had to laugh, a little, when I heard the word "elite" used about the blawg. A classic chicken-and-egg thing. I wasn't even a student yet when I was invited to join the blawg. I think, if anything, what those who blog at the blawg share in common is a tendency to express themselves in a written form.
FWIW, the Blawg got comment from Furman yesterday in Evidence.
They should invite HS and Bolder who should appear in disguise.
The days for disguise have long since passed.
True.
Ha. The admissions office people figured out who Coffinberry was, long before the first week of school. We might pretend we're anonymous, but really, we're not.
I think I made that comment in the Wesson blog... I guess I got that opinion from the some past posts and from some identities that I am aware of who are contributors. When people regularly discuss $150K salaries, multiple OCI job offers, and such, you can probably see where I got that opinion (smoke = fire). Anyway, I am happy to garner emphatic posts, and I will continue to make overbroad generalizations. Did you know all the 1Ls are rich?
I will forever be pissed off that the recent change in the ranking system has deprived me of my rightful place in the century club.
Caged, rant away. There's plenty of room to vent.
okay, i have to defend the top 10% here....we're not all elitist overachievers. i would seriously question whether there is a single professor at the law school who would remember me. some of us hated law school just as much, if not more, than our fellow prisoners. so please just remember that lumping the top 10% together might not be all that fair.
Then JQET, have you seen the judge in the Anna Nicole Smith body trial/hearing/dipsute/travesty? Now that is quality entertainment... A whole day of totally irrelevant, overly emotional testimony from the mom and he is just joking away from the bench!
Post a Comment