Word on the street is the admin. is considering beefing up the number of classes offered on Fridays. Apparently, having a certain number of Friday classes is an ABA requirement though I can't find any "standard" that fits a 5-day week requirement. (Standard 304 comes closest, but doesn't hit the mark as far as I can tell. Look here and check it out: http://www.abanet.org/legaled/standards/standards.html )
Regardless of any ABA requirement, having one day a week class-free is crucial for students, as we schedule work days as well as court appearances for those who have clinic or who intern. Fridays work the best for students as opposed to another day of the week because a mid-week work day means that students have work all day and commute home and have to do school work for class the next day. Scheduling work for Fridays, as opposed to a day mid-week, makes a law students life easier to balance and more sane.
The common complaint from the admin. is that the weekend is starting on Thursdays for most students which irks professors, especially those that schedule classes for late Thursdays.
Any others have thoughts on requiring more of Friday classes?
Monday, February 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I love how the professors and deans get all upset about our schedules. Have you ever been up to the 4th floor? Half of the offices are ALWAYS empty. It's like a ghost town up there. David Hill was at least candid about the whole affair: "I have the easiest job in the world. I don't do shit!"
If we get in our 89 credits in three years, why do they care when we take classes? It isn't like we do any less work than someone who graduated in 1990. If I want to go to class all day on Mondays and Wednesdays in exchange for a three-day weekend, that's my prerogative.
It is times like these that make me appreciate the fact that I'm out of this joint in three months.
No kidding, Bolder. Are they going to force students to take classes, such as scheduling Wednesday/Friday classes, or are they going to force adjuncts or other faculty members to schedule the one-day-a-week classes for Fridays? Either way, it is a stupid idea. Yale offer something like 8 classes on Friday, but 3-4 are clinics and at least one or two look like 1L classes. Isn't this about the same as CU's?
The professors are just as much on board with nixing Friday classes as we are. What prof in his or her right mind would ever want to work on a Friday if they could avoid it, other than Hill?
If they think we're not paying enough attention during our Thursday afternoon classes, what the hell do they expect from us on Friday afternoons? Rapt attention?
It's not just work, it's externships, too. Many externships want you for at least 15 hours a week, and that's basically impossible if it's in Denver and you don't have at least one full day for it.
Ricky: we know JQET, we know he was simply quoting South Park, and we know that his comments lacked and sort of racist intent. It's as simple as that.
As for the "top of the class" monicker, I think you will find that the blawg represents a delightful cross-section of the CU Law population, and not an elitist carve-out. The Dean's office, on the other hand, represents a very small group of people working towards a common goal, with an incredible knack for enforcing policy without consensus. Do you think that the "recommended median" that the Dean's office put in place for classes of 18 students or less arose from a consensus of the faculty? Don't kid yourself.
If I were you, I would not jump to conclusions about a person's character so quickly. Perhaps you should even purchase a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. I hear they're available here.
Agreed, Ricky_D. It’s a pretty big allegation to brand someone a racist, so you should be sure that you know what you’re talking about (and that there aren’t other possible explanations) before making such an allegation. As a budding “legal professional,” you should also understand the concept of due diligence, and be sure not to make frivolous allegations, particularly on such little evidence . . .
In the spirit of not jumping to conclusions, however, we’d welcome your further comments on this blawg, and accept that your post was a simple mistake.
See Wikipedia for more information on the “Chewbacca Defense.”
I think that the Jump to Conclusions site helped me realize my mistake. I acknowledge it and apologize Johny Quest. I am glad that this was clarified as I know the Deans read this and, like myself, they are not up to speed on the quotes in South Park and may "Jump to Conclusions" as well. I apologize again.
No problem, Ricky_D. If you can accept a mistake, and apologize, you’re certainly one up on the administration, and well belong on this blawg. (As JFK said once said, albeit in a different context, “An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.” Sage advice that this administration--and another--should take to heart . . .).
By the way, anyone want to bet on the spring date for grades?
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just discovered that you can purchase this online.
...and here's the link to the Wikipedia entry on the "Chewbacca defense," as well as a clip.
Post a Comment