Wednesday, November 01, 2006
"Note that..."
There is a certain unnamed water law professor who has a proclivity for saying "note that..." in class. For example, we'll talk about a case and he'll say, "note that the court said X." Out of curiousity, I counted how many times he used this seemingly innocuous phrase. In 80 mins, he said it 25 times. 25! Note that's once every 3.2 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Verbal habits are a pervasive problem in the law...
I would have been surprised by your counting of this phrase, Bolder, but then I remembered the multiple lists you have posted quoting verbatim a certain professor who had has a tendency to say outrageous things!
I forget what the word was, but last year a certain civ pro professor said it well over once a minute. I think the final count was about 110 times over the course of about 50 minutes. After counting this, I had a hard time making it through class for a couple of weeks, because I kept noting it every time it was said. I think it was something like "alright" or "ok" or something like that.
Was it something like, "Don't use drugs, okay? Drugs are bad, okay."
I believe the proper spelling of that is, "m'kay?" As in, "you can do it/ it's all up to you/m'kay..."
You don't have to spend your life addicted to smack, homeless on the street giving handjobs for crack, just one look and very soon you will saaaaaaaaay... it's easy, m'kay. Now that song will be in my head all night long.
One of my colleagues has kindly refreshed my memory - the word used 110 times in 50 minutes was "right?".
Your note is duly noted!
Note this, sucka! I too have noticed the proclivity towards 'note this' and please not that I don't approve.
P.S. don't forget to get the polls and note tomorrow.
-VLR2
Post a Comment