Monday, October 30, 2006

Random Suggestions

A couple random suggestions I thought I'd offer:
  • Don't start studying just yet, 1Ls. Its a marathon, not a sprint. If you really kick it into high gear now, you'll burn out. In talking with others, the general consensus is that a month is ideal. Go skiing, watch Monday Night Football, go out with friends, whatever; enjoy the last couple weeks of guilt-free freedom.
  • 2Ls, bite the bullet and take a heavy courseload in the spring. You'll be busy regardless, and will appreciate the effort come your final year.
  • Take a class with Vic Fleischer and Huntington. They rock. Lowenstein's the bomb, but I suck at multiple choice exams, so I have bitter-sweet feelings for taking a class with him. One thing I regret is that I never took a class with either Wilkinson or Krakoff. Water Law with Squillace is terrible. I have yet to meet anyone who likes the class.
  • Get the MPRE out of the way soon after you take Ethics. Re-studying all the stuff is brutal. Re-studying all the stuff and going to a Bar-Bri review session hungover is doubly brutal.
  • Don't drink too much at the Halloween Party if you'll feel guilty about constantly having people come up to you and saying, "Wow, you were wasted on Friday night."

6 comments:

cublawg said...

Bolder, you've ignored a certain cane-wielding anarchist.

MacLawyer said...

HS, did you spell check?

A few more observations:
1. Don't waste the opportunities to get shit-faced and embarass yourself at the Talent Show or the Halloween Party if you're into that kind of thing. Such antics won't affect your chances of making partner someday (unless you try to drive home). After third year, you won't have opportunities like these to be truly stupid for the bargain price of mere embarassment.
2. Outline while you read. Then you can continue to ski and watch Monday Night Football during that last month before finals.
3. Prep for the MPRE requires one five-hour bar-prep style review session (preferrably NOT hungover) and about eight hours of practice tests. Nobody cares what your score was -- treat it as pass/fail.
4. Ditto on Huntington and Loewenstein, and I'll add Judge Hoffman's Law & Biology class (but not if you're a multiple-choice phobe) and anything Justice Rice teaches. How often can you take a class from Ted Bundy's legal writing instructor?
5. Get a job as soon as you can, even if you have to work for free. The sacrifices of law school make much more sense when you have clients.

cublawg said...

Maclawyer: no typos. I did mean anarchist, not anti-Christ, though either noun would fit the individual in question.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Rice taught Bundy? No way!

As for Good Ole Dave, I can't really say much. Taking a class with him is truly an experience. I will never forget the first day of Property.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

As an example of how cool Fleischer is, we're supposed to watch the movie "Barbarians at the Gate" as our class assignment for tomorrow.

Michael A. Smeenk, Esq. said...

Speaking of classes... who's got our "3L Guide to Last Semester Blow-Off Classes?" Come on -- registration is this week!