Monday, August 14, 2006

Where did 402 go?

What I "thought" was 402 is now 470. What's with that? I could have sworn that the design plan for the new Wolf building was that the 'strong presence' of the entrance patio was supposed to be associated with the "mostly commuter" use of the parking lot.

So I've got a permit that says 402 - - where do I park now?

13 comments:

cublawg said...

I would read this for more information.

notjustlaw said...

470, I believe, are the eight or nine spots right in front of Wolf... But they are putting up the signs in the next two days, so we'll know for sure.

Coffinberry said...

Hmm, I don't think that site helps much, HS, since it's selling carpool permits in what "used-to-be" 402.

I called parking services today, and the nice lady there kept insisting that 402 and 470 were the same; but I told her I was very concerned about parking with a 402 pass in a lot numbered 470, would she p-l-e-a-s-e make sure it was OK?

She left me on hold for some time, and came back with a short message: "402 is EAST of Wolf Law, and will open on Monday, August 21."

Oh.

Talk about a problem with communication about this change . . . Parking Services people don't even know about it.

And so much for this part (section 3.04.2) of the facility design requirements*:

"Law students and the public tend to commute to and from the school by car, spending most of their day at the facility before leaving. There is limited pedestrian interaction with the rest of the campus by law students although this is changing as the programs become more interdisciplinary. The site design should reinforce the entry experience to the building from the parking lot. It should also provide a sense of security to students who may be using the school's resources late at night."

Is there even a door on the east side?

*=http://www.colorado.edu/law/alumdev/newbuilding/docs/section3.htm

Coffinberry said...

PS, I'm guessing that the numbering change has something to do with the Leeds people needing to park close to Fleming?

notjustlaw said...

Yes, there are at least two doors on the east side.

cublawg said...

We have to go in through the basement? Those punks at Leeds are turning into some real PITAs. Moreover, unless there's some prior indication to the contrary, I'd say we have a reliance interest in parking on the west side of the building. Law Students of CU, UNITE!!

notjustlaw said...

We cleared out of the building so they could move in on time, and now they want our entire lot? I thought they were the temporary tenant?

notjustlaw said...

Nice Email...I want Lot 470 now. Thank you Parking Services

Coffinberry said...

I noticed today that 402 is really, really tiny.

And what about that reliance interest thing . . . when I specified 402, I had a particular lot in mind, and there was no warning of the change. (Betcha there's a disclaimer somewhere in the parking services literature that says something to the effect that 'lot assignment may change without notice'.)

Coffinberry said...

I just got another email, reassuring me (?) that the new 402 has not been oversold (despite its tiny size). So, maybe there's some splitting going on, with law students and business students both buying in 470? So, it looks like its in-thru-the-basement-door for me this year, folks.

cublawg said...

Evidently parking services is somewhat overwhelmed by all of the law students calling to raise hell. (Myself included) Wouldn't you think that, had they adequately informed us of the change during the permit sale, we would all have bought tags for lot 470? Something to think about...

Coffinberry said...

You would think that they would think twice before doing something like this to *Law* students, to whom every opportunity to exercise their newly-gained knowledge (like "Reliance") is a treat. Talk about asking for trouble.

I think they just didn't think.

notjustlaw said...

I've worked with them on another issue... they do think things through, they just do so only days before they implement something... Remember the announcement they would restrict parking in 402 before constuction on Wolf began? They made the decision in just a couple of days.