Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What We Have Here Is a Failure of Communication

I just figured it out. Why did no one tell me this?
As a 1L, I listened to 3L's talk about the Apprentice during spring finals. Finals! I couldn't wait to be "bored to death" and have lots of free time for equally important tasks. I was so misled.
3L is about being bored to death not because you don't have a lot of work but because you just don't feel like doing the work. Why do 3L's watch reality TV? Why do 3L's surf the internet in class? Because they don't have anything to do? No! Because they are so sick of what they're supposed to be doing.
We're bored like you were bored in that awful A.P. Physics class in high school where you knew you'd get your ass kicked on the exam but 7:30 was just too early to talk about the "right hand rule" so you zoned out during most classes. And when it came time to take the exam, you left two hours early because you had nothing else to say. But you still got a 2 and you couldn't help wondering if you could have eeked out a 3 if you sat there long enough. Probably not. But really, what does someone have to do to get a 1? (Or am I alone on this one?)
Anyway, my point is that the old law school saying should go more like this: Your first year they scare you to death. Your second year they work you to death. Your third year they continue to give you lots of work but you really don't feel like doing it and instead you play Tetris . . . to death.

8 comments:

Ryan Kalamaya said...

I have preemptively (maybe prematurely?) entered 3L/"I don't care"-land.

notjustlaw said...

Next Thursday Bolder we will officially enter the wonderful world of 3L! It can't come too soon...

cublawg said...

Some of our classmates are already there. Bastards.

Buffs said...

I walked out of my AP history exam an hour early and got a 3. I thought it was the easiest test I ever took. Turns out the Confederates didn't win ... fucking Ken Burns.

notjustlaw said...

Buffs, Both AP Euro and AP U.S. History were by far the easiest tests ever.

And do not mention any names HS...It will get ugly

notjustlaw said...

SPeaking of Tetris, has anyone else seen video of the FRench building where you can play tetris on the side using the building lights as the pieces and your cell phone as the controller? Can we add this feature to Wolf or is it too late?

Coffinberry said...

shhh, be very very quiet... my son is in the middle of his AP Calculus test as we speak...

cublawg said...

If I recall correctly, I got a five on AP Calc. That said, I wouldn't recognize a derivative now if it walked up and bit me on the tush.