Sent to our entire Civ Pro class from Professor Waggoner:
If you get discouraged before exams, please remember the Battle of Midway in 1942. The U.S. Navy had been grievously injured at Pearl Harbor and had then sustained a series of defeats. Our torpedo bombers at Midway, flying low and slow and straight, had been decimated by Japanese "Zero" fighters. Things looked awful. Then, in twenty minutes, U.S. Navy dive bombers, diving from 20,000 feet (free of attack from fighters, because the Zero fighters were all off chasing torpedo bombers at low altitude), set three of the four Japanese aircraft carriers ablaze, sinking them. You can be like those dive bombers, as you triumph over your exams. Keep the faith!
On the other hand, if you might err on the side of arrogance, think of how the members of the Japanese carrier group felt, as their triumphs from Pearl Harbor to the Indian Ocean disappeared in explosions and flames. Please be self-confident, but humble.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
oh, you weren't there last year when he sent the entire law school an e-mail about the battle of trafalgar and the triumph of democracy, apparently expecting us to spend the day saluting ol' Admiral Nelson. he a great guy ... lil kooky, though.
We did get a Battle of Trafalgar email this past year, also. ha.
He's awesome. I know absolutely no Civ Pro, but he's great.
The tale wags the final.
Yes, his smile is sweet, too...
Am I the only one feeling particularly sappy about all of my 1L profs? Each time one of them gives us a goodbye speech I get all misty. Okay, so it always happens right before FCQs, but still...
If they sung your praises and said that you're one of the best classes they ever had, keep in mind that they said the same to us. ;-)
Nope. So far no one has said that. :)
They don't have to say it. The look in their eyes give it away.
JQET-- I tend more toward your sentiments re: war, etc. but I think Wags is a terrific guy who happens to be a real history buff. Maybe he's a war buff. I don't know. Point is, I didn't read too much into it. I took a "it's the thought that counts" approach to it. It's kind of like when my grandmother tried to buy me clothes for my birthday. Not my style, but she meant well.
So is that what you guys do when you go to journal lunches? Get all toasted and testy? ;)
I should have signed up to write-on...
Post a Comment