Friday, March 10, 2006

Raise your hand if you're sure...

Here's one for you:

When you raise your hand in class, does your palm face forward or does your palm face backward?

I noticed this in Constitutional Law the other day, it seemed that most everyone twists the wrist so that the back of their hand is presented to the instructor. I've always done it straight-wristed, palm forward.

Is there meaning to this difference? Was anyone taught that it might be rude to place your palm forward, because it means "stop" or "Talk to the hand"? Is there etiquette for this?

(Frankly, I think the wrist-twist version looks odd, somehow hesitant or unassertive... but I don't know if I've missed something generational here.)

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

I think the back of hand forward hand raise is more casual. It also provides for a smooth transition to hair smoothing, ear scratching, and the like if you decide you actually *don't* care to answer the question. I'm a palm forward gal- mostly because what I have to say is just too damn important for a back-of-hand raise.

C-$ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C-$ said...

Many psychologists assert that when one faces his/her palms out and away from the body that it's a sign of openness. The rationale is that one is exposing a more vulnerable part of the body.
Perhaps those who face their palms out are also more confident that their answers are correct, and need not worry about "exposing" themselves.
See what four years of social science undergrad work has given me? A license to drop useless trivia when an opportunity such as this arises. Awesome.

notjustlaw said...

Wow Lex, that is actually a great explanation...now I'm going to be thinking about that whenever someone raises their hand in class!

shell said...

I usually raise my fist and gently shake it around in a non-threatening way. What do you suppose it means, ignorantia lex?

J-Po said...

I raise my hand with my knuckles out and my middle digit extended slightly beyond my other fingers. What does that mean, ignorantia lex? :)

C-$ said...

AdvisoryOpinion,
I believe it means that you may be displeased with the way in which a question was asked. Depending on your Professor, it may also be an appropriate way to answer a particular question. I hope you found this helpful, though I can't imagine it would be.

I.L, Unofficial and Unlicensed Psychologist of the CU bLAWg.