Wednesday, January 25, 2006

What will happen if Wolf Law is delayed?

Just something I was thinking about while venturing into a Fleming bathroom (anything to distract me from the smell). What will happen if there are any construction delays on the new building? How would the school sell a delay that pushes occupancy into September or beyond to a bunch of law professors, students and future students? (Could students and staff have an estoppel argument? Doubt it...)

I haven't heard any indications of a delay, and believe me I'm hoping nothing happens to cause a delay, but we are supposed to occupying that building in SEVEN months and the interior looks to be progressing slowly...

9 comments:

Michael A. Smeenk, Esq. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael A. Smeenk, Esq. said...

Does estoppel really even work as an argument in the real world? Even if it's a little longer... so what?

notjustlaw said...

Good point Jig. I just threw it in there. But I think it does matter, because would the school really interrupt classes midway through for a move mid-semester? Would they wait for the spring semester? Would they wait for the following year?

Also, the library needs to be moved, and any delay would mean a dealy in a move for the library (I attended an undergrad school that dealt with a library move, and it was a pain)

Buffs said...

Here's what I heard. To get the fee $, the law school has to move into the new building in August--or else the money won't come in til Jan., the next semester. So basically moving mid-semester is not an option. In any event, I wouldn't worry. They'll build the essential parts first so they can actually move the classes and admin, and probably keep working on the details through the semester.

Coffinberry said...

I see all those boxes full of books stacked in the hall, and wonder what if someone needs one of those books that are in those boxes. Then I think that surely they must have figured out which books aren't going to be needed much. Then I wonder if those books aren't needed by anybody, why bother keeping them? Then I wonder why am I wondering about all this stuff...

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Dean Getches said they'd hired a firm that specializes in moving libraries (talk about niche work!) to do the library move. I'm sure they're going to be very efficient.

It's what they do.

LegalSchmegal said...

Trujillo referenced this discussion during the Castillo talk during lunch today, which I though was pretty funny. Anyway, he said to tell the blog that the building will be finished, or something to that effect.:)

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I must have missed that. I think I was stuffing my face.

notjustlaw said...

Truijilo is a reader? Wow.
Anyhow the building better be finished...but it is a big project with a short timeline...