I started looking occasionally at that message board Gridlocker posts on after he called us retards (which I thought was funny, because he clearly wrote the posts in question himself... but I digress) Today, someone posted a question about CU. Person said he/she/it wanted to come here but was afraid of hippies and rock climbers, or something like that. Then the posters basically slammed the school. I don't know about you, but I don't think I've seen an *actual* hippie in the halls of Fleming. And the idea that Boulder itself is a hippie Mecca is pretty misleading. Yuppie Mecca, perhaps. Buddhist Mecca (if there can be such a thing). Bad driver Mecca, I'm sure of. But whatever.
EDIT: Grid denies the above assertion. I believe him.
EDIT 2: I removed the link because it's one thing to link to a thread that generally slams our school and another to link to a thread that contains vicious personal attacks.
Friday, October 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
He came out for that? Oh well.
Anyhow, the whole hippie mecca is interesting. At the school maybe not, but in Boulder possibly... Any how thanks for the update. I was actually thinking of posting something along these lines. How much responsability should a school, or its students, take in ensuring correct information is out there on sites like xoxo? I used to work admissions for my University and it was always a challenge correcting misconceptions...but should a school troll a discussion board? i think not.
OK, I believe you. But lurking is not= to retirement, you know?
Kind of tough to dispute the crappy job placement charge though...
Hmmm. You know Patty Powell told 1Ls that 99.9% (or close to it) of people who want jobs have jobs by 9 months. She just didn't say what kind of jobs. Legal jobs, yeah, but she didn't specify what kind.
To what do you attribute the numbers, Jigsaw?
DU competition? Limited # of Denver metro jobs? Career services failure? Combo?
There should be a concurrent survey of of both satisfaction w/ job placement and the CS office. That, methinks, would speak volumes.
Does anybody think the OCI scene here is that different from most schools out of the top 20? I don't actually know the answer, but I'm wondering.
Yeah, is she actually a 3L now? I thought she graduated last year. She was on the panel for Admitted Students Day. She seemed really nice.
Based on my entirely antecdotal evidence, the OCI process isn't going to net huge amounts of jobs for 2L's. I understand that many of the small/mid-sized firms won't know if they need SA's until next semester, but the opportunities for firm/corporate positions (in CO) on the TWEN site severely lack.
Yes, the market's pretty tight. And no, I don't expect to just waltz into CDO and have a job handed to me. But come on already. Someone needs to go out and shake the firm trees to get some more opportunities for CU students. I can't for the life of me understand why CDO is so focused on Judicial Clerkships instead of real jobs for soon-to-be grads.
The 99.9% stat? I think Mark Twain said it best: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.” It doesn't mean anything to me. Flipping burgers 9 months after graduation is a job 9 months after graduation.
Post a Comment