Something has been bothering me over the last few weeks. In the 2L class particularly, and if it is happening in the other classes or has been common at CU Law over the years please tell us, it has become quite fashionable to refer to anyone with a right-leaning view as a fascist... In the last two days I have heard the term a dozen times. For those who would call themselves liberal and believe in political correctness, but then go on and use such a negative and loaded word has always seemed weird to me. And it is highly uncomfortable. I admit I voted for President Bush, but for me it was a vote of the lesser of two evils (I still can't understand the love-affair with Kerry...) But apparently, without asking my political views on Abortion, Affirmative Action, the courts, fiscal issues, etc...I've been labeled a fascist. (To say nothing about asking me my opinion on genocide, racial purity, and the other nonsense advocated by real fascists) I love political discussions! I will argue with others, even taking an extreme view I don't believe in just to further the debate. But, as many of my more liberal colleagues would agree, labels hurt, are stupid, and do nothing to further the discussion. Disagree with me, fine, rail against the policies of the Bush Administration, great, think those who call themselves conservative are insane, awesome! But why are we still so childish as to label a good portion of our class with a word so loaded and hateful?
Please do not come back with comments like it is a joke, lighten up, or it is free speech. I already understand this...I want to know why we would do such things, and whether people think it is actually productive.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I cherish the application of such labels because it helps identify the ignorant. Generally, those who use such terms are incapable of seeing a position other than their own, or even of defending their own views against strenuous attack. And it's that sort of black and white approach to life which, in my view, leads to a lot of the problems we have. A little compromise and understanding goes a long way.
Wow. I think I wouldn't like being called a name, either. Being marginalized is annoying. Let's call it 'political profanity', and apply Prof. Hill's comment about "feeble minds" echo in our heads.
The odd thing is, I've not noticed that kind of labelling in the 1L class... but I've also noticed a distinct difference of personality between the 'two-halves' of the class. It was almost surreal to hear the near-angry voices complaining to Dean Mathews in the town-hall meeting Monday... that's not the kind of stuff that goes on in 'our half.' I don't know if that has something to do with the teachers (we have no provocative professors) or if there was some odd personality matching that went on in the creation of the sections, or some weird combo of after-effects. I'm only mentioning it because you wanted to know if it's a CU tradition; my observations suggest that it might not be.
No, Coffin. I really think it is time-honored CU tradition. By the way, after I posted, I heard the word fascist again used!! It is strange! Thanks for the legit comments...keep them coming.
Random,
I understand your point, but isn't that just playing into the same game...Commie is another of the same stupid labels people resort to for no reason. So why use it? I wouldn't tolerate calling someone a commie either.
Random, If you aren't trying to use the word as a label, or trying to avoid its original meaning, then why use it. If you use a label I think you mean what you say, regardless if it is fascist or commie. Why do people use facsist to describe right-wing Republicans, and Commie is used to describe left-wing Democrats? To label them on the extremes. That is my understanding, and that was the point of the post. Don't use such loaded words if that is not what you mean by them.
Post a Comment