Cooley, Arnold & Porter and Faegre are finished with call-backs. I haven't heard anyone getting word back from Hogan. I didn't interview with any of them; what do I care?
Holland & Hart isn't posted as yet submitting their interview list. I'm not overly optimistic.
Given that some of us on here know each others' "secret" identities, I'm going to suggest that we hold off on sharing who got how much and where. That gets a little too personal, at least for me.
Holland & Hart hasn't posted anything yet, but rumor has it that it's coming shortly.
I agree about protecting the secret identities...Michelle, I will say that unless you are top 25-30% of the class, you will likely send out a great number of applications with no results.
I think its even more like the top 15-20%, of which I'm not a part of. Buffs was entirely correct in observing how mind blowing it is for people in the top 10% to get so many interviews. I understand why, but it's intriguing nonetheless.
I don't know if it was a downer...cause as soon as you mentioned six-figure check I started drooling and glazed over the rest of it...Wait, what does that say about me?
NJL: it says you came to law school for the same pecuniary reaons which motivated many of the rest of us. I'm perfectly happy to slum it in a cube for a while, cranking out memos and sucking up to clients, if it leads to interesting work and a big house. Now if only I could get a job...
For me, the major take-away from OCI, both here and in undergrad, is that career services offices only really work for the top 20%. If you're not in that quintile, then you need to make your own way. It would be nice if that were not the case, but the fact of the matter is that CS offices are simply routers for big firms, nothing more. To be sure, there's a lot of valuable advice to be had from Veronica, Karen, and Patty, but the decision-making is out of their hands; they cannot get you a job in the fall round of OCI if you haven't met the criteria of Big Firm, LLC. It's unfortunate that it comes down to just one year's worth of work and whether or not Cindy Gibbons' magic eight-ball put you in the right section that dovetailed with your learning style. For me, that was not the case.
Most definitely. Look at it from Big Firm's perspective: given a large pool of candidates from which to choose, how would you distinguish them? Grades, rank, and maybe experience if you're feeling generous. That's why, to me at least, it's better to reduce the competition by seeking out the smaller firms, or finding some non-traditional way to get into Big Firm that doesn't place you at opposites with a larger applicant pool. There's simply not enough jobs to support any numbers beyond the top twenty.
BTW...I base my arguments on the assumption that, with about forty firms participating in OCI, there's actually only about 35 jobs available each fall. I think you can safely say that, at the outset, there's an average of 1.5 jobs available per OCI participant, but some of them simply won't hire anyone if they don't get what they want, and others will rescind offers if their business demand can't support a JD's salary. And then there's the perennial problem of at least one OCI firm going out of business.
Hakim: just for the record, the pecuniary reason is the reason for law school. I'm starting a family and need the cash! So for those reasons I might be taking the OCI snubs harder then most!
NJL: do you already know when lil' NJL is due to arrive, or are you "starting to try," as they say? (Tangent: "starting to try" is one of my favorite euphamisms for doin' each other a lot.)
even if you graduate in the top 10%, you are not guaranteed a job. i know more than one person in our class in the top 10% who were unemployed at the time of the bar. the job search is not rainbows and puppy dogs for anyone. and while it might be depressing to not get interviews, it is just as depressing to get a bunch of interviews which you have to schedule around and never get a call back. so now you're depressed with less time. and now you know you didnt get the job because of something that is wrong with you, not something that is wrong with your resume.
I like the idea of the lottery, so long as there is some sort of assurance from the firms that they will give these interviews a legit chance. Moop, again you are right! A ranking of the asses ina class would be most helpful.
27 comments:
First one today? You're doing pretty well. I was totally rejected several times by this time last year.
I've had enough no-interviews that I don't even need a rejection letter at this point!
Some folks I know have heard from Faegre about second rounds. I know nothing about Hogan.
Since this seems to be a good resource...any news on Holland & Hart?
Cooley, Arnold & Porter and Faegre are finished with call-backs. I haven't heard anyone getting word back from Hogan. I didn't interview with any of them; what do I care?
Holland & Hart isn't posted as yet submitting their interview list. I'm not overly optimistic.
I'll field this one:
Given that some of us on here know each others' "secret" identities, I'm going to suggest that we hold off on sharing who got how much and where. That gets a little too personal, at least for me.
Holland & Hart hasn't posted anything yet, but rumor has it that it's coming shortly.
I agree about protecting the secret identities...Michelle, I will say that unless you are top 25-30% of the class, you will likely send out a great number of applications with no results.
I think its even more like the top 15-20%, of which I'm not a part of. Buffs was entirely correct in observing how mind blowing it is for people in the top 10% to get so many interviews. I understand why, but it's intriguing nonetheless.
I heard some top 10%ers whining about going to so many interviews. I tried to muster up some sympathy but . . . nope, nothing.
Moop, I surprised you didn't slug one of them! Very little sympathy is generated when someone has too many opportunities to start their career!
I don't know if it was a downer...cause as soon as you mentioned six-figure check I started drooling and glazed over the rest of it...Wait, what does that say about me?
That firm loses major points for lame-ass flash work and clip art. Boo!
NJL: it says you came to law school for the same pecuniary reaons which motivated many of the rest of us. I'm perfectly happy to slum it in a cube for a while, cranking out memos and sucking up to clients, if it leads to interesting work and a big house. Now if only I could get a job...
For me, the major take-away from OCI, both here and in undergrad, is that career services offices only really work for the top 20%. If you're not in that quintile, then you need to make your own way. It would be nice if that were not the case, but the fact of the matter is that CS offices are simply routers for big firms, nothing more. To be sure, there's a lot of valuable advice to be had from Veronica, Karen, and Patty, but the decision-making is out of their hands; they cannot get you a job in the fall round of OCI if you haven't met the criteria of Big Firm, LLC. It's unfortunate that it comes down to just one year's worth of work and whether or not Cindy Gibbons' magic eight-ball put you in the right section that dovetailed with your learning style. For me, that was not the case.
Most definitely. Look at it from Big Firm's perspective: given a large pool of candidates from which to choose, how would you distinguish them? Grades, rank, and maybe experience if you're feeling generous. That's why, to me at least, it's better to reduce the competition by seeking out the smaller firms, or finding some non-traditional way to get into Big Firm that doesn't place you at opposites with a larger applicant pool. There's simply not enough jobs to support any numbers beyond the top twenty.
BTW...I base my arguments on the assumption that, with about forty firms participating in OCI, there's actually only about 35 jobs available each fall. I think you can safely say that, at the outset, there's an average of 1.5 jobs available per OCI participant, but some of them simply won't hire anyone if they don't get what they want, and others will rescind offers if their business demand can't support a JD's salary. And then there's the perennial problem of at least one OCI firm going out of business.
IOWs, the odds suck.
Hakim: just for the record, the pecuniary reason is the reason for law school. I'm starting a family and need the cash! So for those reasons I might be taking the OCI snubs harder then most!
NJL: do you already know when lil' NJL is due to arrive, or are you "starting to try," as they say? (Tangent: "starting to try" is one of my favorite euphamisms for doin' each other a lot.)
Hey! Trying is the fun part. Or even better, practicing, before trying!
I believe in practicing a lot.
And then there's always: If at first you don't succeed, try try again. (LOL)
even if you graduate in the top 10%, you are not guaranteed a job. i know more than one person in our class in the top 10% who were unemployed at the time of the bar. the job search is not rainbows and puppy dogs for anyone. and while it might be depressing to not get interviews, it is just as depressing to get a bunch of interviews which you have to schedule around and never get a call back. so now you're depressed with less time. and now you know you didnt get the job because of something that is wrong with you, not something that is wrong with your resume.
At the risk of revelaing my secret identity, lil' NJL is on the way, here next semester, so the need for the cold-hard cash is great!
Congrats!! Is this our first CU bLAWg baby? I think it might be...
Thanks, unless there are some mothers or fathers out there already, it just might be the first baby~
I know michelle and esquire both have kids, but I was referring to the first baby announced on the blawg. Either way, though, it's awesome.
Placement and Jobs are still high, it is just OCI that is a pain!
*clap* *clap* Congratulations!
What about the ability to spot an ass?
I like the idea of the lottery, so long as there is some sort of assurance from the firms that they will give these interviews a legit chance. Moop, again you are right! A ranking of the asses ina class would be most helpful.
Post a Comment