- Funny landlord-tennant memo.
- I'm pretty gutted about the people who nicked the proposed change to our Evidence schedule. Wesson asked our class if we wanted to move our 1-1:50 p.m. M, T, R schedule to a T & R from 1-2:15. This would've knocked off my one and only class on Mondays. Instead of busting my balls biking from my externship at a firm downtown up to Fleming for an hour of class in the middle of the day, I could've spent the entire day getting my work finished. I sincerely hope the people who opposed it had legit reasons, i.e. something more than "I don't like long classes."
- I think someone should ask Cindy if we can kill Friday classes (or at least significantly reduce the number of 2 and 3L classes scheduled on Friday) when we move into the new building next year. I assume that the only reason we haven't broached the subject till now is b/c of classroom availability. Apparently, no other professional schools have classes on Friday b/c it allows people to work, interview, travel to interviews, and, uhmm, ski. Beyond the obvious reason (skiing!), I think its a legit concern and proposal. CU Law people could start competing with DU Law on externships and jobs with Denver judges, firms, and the like. Plus, OCI wouldn't be a total shit show with people missing 3 classes b/c they have to interview down in Denver for the entire day.
Monday, August 29, 2005
Random Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Although it hasn't even been confirmed, word on the street is that we're going probably increase our class size, but only minimally. I'd put money on them capping it at around 200; and even then, it'll only increase incrementally with each incoming class. CU Law will NEVER reach 1,000 students.
i didn't have a friday class after first semester of second year. it's not that difficult to create that schedule, if that's what is important to you (and it was important to me).
Cowboyslaw, what Bolder meant was increasing each class size to an even 200, which is maybe 40 people per class, so only an increase of 120 overall. We don't want to join the ranks of DU and have 1,000 in the law school, because it is just plain silly!
And just where is this 13:1 class, eh?
Every one of my substantive courses has 86+ students (a fact that seems to surprise the professors). On top of that, it is the SAME 86 in all four classes (we just swap seats around because Prof. Peppet insisted, or move next door). The ONLY class that has fewer students is Legal Writing, with about 22 students, which is just a 1/4th subset of the 86.
The 1L class this year has been effectively divided into two parts, and never the twain shall meet, and never the twain shall be ranked against one another.
Is this standard operating procedure?
For 1Ls, yes. Its how it is across the country. You'll have smaller classes for the more specific classes your next two years. For example, I have a seminar with 11 other students and one prof. 13:1..boom.
it's weird that you are separated into two parts like that. with our class, we were in at least one class with all but 8 people. we had groups of 8 that were swtiched around for each big class.
the higher level classes have much lower ratios. there were 4 people in my seminar.
As evidence by the relatively high participation on this blog, I think one reason why we at CU Law thumb our nose at bigger schools is because it is, in a sense, what makes our experience somewhat unique. Sure, everyone takes Torts, Contracts, etc., but not everyone can actually say they "know" their fellow classmates. Having 166 people in a class forces you into more contact than a larger school. Nearly everyone at CU Law who reads this stupid blog knows who I am b/c our school is so small. Hell, I know who nearly everyone else is posting from CU Law too. Its like a little legal frat where everyone goes through the shit together and gets to know others much better b/c of that fact. Cliche, but true.
...which is just further proof that hazing works, I might add. Kappa Upsilon Lambda, y'all!!
I feel bad for Bolder Law, everyone does know who he is. I've tried to stay in the shadows (maybe that is what I'm like in real life...hmmm...) All this talk of ratios is silly. Even though Harvard has a low ratio, I still wouldn't want to be in a class of 500 or more people. You never get to know them. 166 or 168 (whatever it says on the transcript) is a great number becuase I have met and actually talked to most of my class! That is the ideal!
Sorry, I looked closely at DU (the building is so pretty), but I hated the idea of being that large of a class!
I don't know who Bolder Law is... :(
Wow. We're getting into dangerous territory now. I never intended to steer this little debate towards even more people knowing my "true" identity. Even CL knows who I am.
Can we please discuss the merits of having no class on Fridays? Sweet.
Hakim, I want some more Hill quotes! I'd like to know if anyone has taken the mantle of asking distracting, annoying and unrelated questions.
Also, thoughts on the disappearance of Buffs. What gives?
I agree: the desire to pierce the anonymity veil has to go. Although the Robert Patrick photos are frickin' hilarious, and not too far off, I might add.
I've got more Hill quotes, I just haven't had time to type up my notes yet, what with OCI gearing up. As for no class on Fridays, I think that would be fantastic. I'm of the ilk that gets all of its work done for the subsequent week on the preceding weekend, so an empty Friday would do wonders for my Sunday night TV watching schedule. Although with the move of Boston Legal to Tuesday nights, the ABC sunday night lineup leaves much to be desired. (Desperate Housewives? Blech!) As does the NBC sunday night lineup; Law and Order Criminal Intent re-runs? Vince D'Onofrio is SO overrated.
Friday off has its merits, yes... but I like getting to go home at 2PM.
I bet I feel differently next year.
I'm enjoying only having class at 8:30 on Friday. I'm often awake at this time anyway, go to class and I'm done and home before 10! If I had a later class, I might change my tune, but I'm not an obsessive Skiier and thus don't mind Friday class.
To go off topic, close but no cigar Cowboys.
Cowboys, NJL is definitely not a brunette. As for me, I think you've been fooled by my nom de plume. My photographic effigy is far more accurate.
That was a quality comment, Cowboys. I respect the creativity. I'm still laughing about Hakim and Chicago's pics....
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.
I do think that Hakim would stand out in a crowd, then, don't you?
As for me, you got the glasses right, but the rest is way wrong. But wrong in a way that I am flattered. So you just go ahead and keep imagining that's me, ok?
Wrong Birthday and Hair color Cowboys, I am a male though!
Hey that black cocktail dress was hot. I'm glad to be thought of as wearing that, instead of my usual Converses and jogging suit ensemble
Post a Comment