The UNAUTHORIZED blogger collective for the University of Colorado Law School.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Question about books
Does anyone know how much I can expect to spend on books for my 1L first semester? I'll be looking to buy used when possible and will only want the bare minimum to start. Thanks, and please scroll down to read Hakim's entry now. M
One big casebook for each class at about $80-100 new, one-two supplementals for each class at $30-$60. So anywhere between $400 and $600.
I like to buy all the books new in the bookstore, and then go home and surf half.com and amazon and see if they're going for substantially less there. Then I'll return the new ones when I get the used ones in the mail. Can't highlight for a while, but no biggie.
I've known at least one person to buy two sets of books because they ride their bikes to school: one for home and one for the locker. This strikes me as silly, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
I think you'll find out the first day of orientation, but you could always email Cindy Gibbons, the registrar, to see if she's run the sections yet. I suspect not, given the number of files littering Carol Nelson-Douglas' office. Methinks a lot of wait-list decisions are being made this week.
Also, don't go buy all the hornbooks or supplements just becuase they are there. Glannon yes, and I'll defer to those who had Hill for their recommendations. Otherwise find out what the professor says on the first day and then try and find a couple of people who had your professor for advice on the other books. I personally only bought Glannon, so it is obviously a personal decision.
The WL does suck, especially if it puts your life on hold (i.e. holding off on the job search just in case)! I feel bad for anyone who has had to experience it.
6 comments:
One big casebook for each class at about $80-100 new, one-two supplementals for each class at $30-$60. So anywhere between $400 and $600.
I like to buy all the books new in the bookstore, and then go home and surf half.com and amazon and see if they're going for substantially less there. Then I'll return the new ones when I get the used ones in the mail. Can't highlight for a while, but no biggie.
I've known at least one person to buy two sets of books because they ride their bikes to school: one for home and one for the locker. This strikes me as silly, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
I would think that after reading HP & the HBP, all should think twice about reading the notes in the margins of text books...
I think you'll find out the first day of orientation, but you could always email Cindy Gibbons, the registrar, to see if she's run the sections yet. I suspect not, given the number of files littering Carol Nelson-Douglas' office. Methinks a lot of wait-list decisions are being made this week.
Also, don't go buy all the hornbooks or supplements just becuase they are there. Glannon yes, and I'll defer to those who had Hill for their recommendations. Otherwise find out what the professor says on the first day and then try and find a couple of people who had your professor for advice on the other books. I personally only bought Glannon, so it is obviously a personal decision.
The WL does suck, especially if it puts your life on hold (i.e. holding off on the job search just in case)! I feel bad for anyone who has had to experience it.
Post a Comment