James C. Ho (Chicago '99/J. Smith)Take a guess at who this guy is clerking for....Tidbits:
(a) he is currently serving as chief counsel to Senator John Cornyn on the Senate Judiciary Committee, where he has earned praise for his bipartisanship, as well as recognition for being among "the best 35 staffers under age 35";
(b) James Ho is "unbelievably well-connected," which is not surprising given the impressive positions he has held at top outposts of legal conservatism (which A3G won't bore you with; you can read about his many achievements here and here);
(c) his résumé includes a stint at the Finishing School for the Elect, where he authored a memo on the Geneva Conventions that was cited in footnote 8 of the controversial Bybee/Yoo memo on interrogation and torture (pdf);
(d) Jim Ho was described by liberal blogger Max Blumenthal as "that good-looking guy sitting behind Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) during [Attorney General Alberto] Gonzales's [confirmation] hearing" (see here);
(e) he is "known to be shy but loyal and surprisingly funny";
(f) he puts his sense of humor to good use as a senior editor of The Green Bag, and he also finds the time to serve on the board of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association Educational Fund;
(g) he is married to a fellow member of the Elect, Allyson Newton Ho (SOC, OT 2002); and
(h) he's "a sucker for ice cream and Morton's dinners, and if you want to distract him, just ask him if he wants to play Texas hold 'em."
However, there are also a few interesting people. One is hot (see above), and another is from UVa (always a bonus...).
Allison Orr (UVA '04/Wilkinson)----------------------------------------------------------------Tidbits:
(a) she is a graduate of William & Mary and the University of Virginia Law School, where she graduated first in her class and served on the Virginia Law Review;
(b) she was a "superstar" of her summer class at Covington & Burling -- a class that also included Randy Kozel, Jeff Pojanowski, and Ann O'Connell;
(c) she is not related to Dudley Orr, the founder of Orr & Reno, the Concord, New Hampshire law firm where young David Souter began his legal career;
(d) Alli Orr "loves all things Virginia, including and especially the rock/go-go band known as Virginia Coalition";
(e) she goes running at lunchtime with her current boss, Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III (a.k.a. "The Aging Divo"), whom she has gushingly described as "very lovable" (maybe she can go jogging with her future boss as well, to provide him with extra security?); and
(f) she has a "captivating" singing voice, which she would showcase by performing in the UVA Law student revue, The Libel Show (which is where the photo at right of her shakin' her booty comes from; go ahead, click on the thumbnail for a better view!).This news story about Allison Orr tells the funny story of how she learned that she might have a job at One First Street:
No matter how accomplished you are, there are still a few things that can floor you. This message on your answering machine is one of them: "Hello. This is David Souter. I am calling about your clerkship interview. Please call me back when you have a free minute."
An answering machine message from a Supreme Court justice? Wow! How much do you think the tape could fetch on eBay? It sure beats voice-mail from Paula Abdul -- or those annoying automated telemarketer messages that A3G gets so often...
And what a delightful lack of pretense! A simple, humble, down-to-earth greeting: "Hello. This is David Souter." Why not "Hello, this is Justice Souter," or "Hello, this is the fourth-hottest man in the federal judiciary"? If A3G were a Supreme Court justice, she wouldn't be able to resist leaving messages like this one:
Greetings, mortal. This is the Honorable Article 3 Groupie, calling you from Mount Olympus, a.k.a. One First Street. Are you there? Are you screening? You better not be screening. I AM A SUPREME COURT JUSTICE, goddamnit!!! Why can't you give me the respect that I'm entitled to?
In other news, our Law Review write-on paper was due today. Of course I sprinted to my car and ran up the stairs to the Dean's Office to turn it in by 4 p.m. I only "wrote" for Law Review. I still don't know if spending several hours for a 1% chance was worth it. The whole packet was on copyright law, R2D2 geek speak, peer-to-peer file-sharing, and stuff like that. Needless to say, I felt like a total lame-o for writing in the form of a blog. I even used my alias....how pathetic.

6 comments:
It's only a matter of time before that first clerk finds Justice Thomas's follicles on her soft drink can.
Uncle Tom or "that asshole", as Hill would refer to Thomas, has a noticeable "cookie cutter" approach to picking clerks. Lame. If I was a SC Justice, I think I'd go for the funniest, most interesting and creative (in that order) clerks possible.
I'd say Eid (tee hee) is fairly amusing. She may on the stereotypically non-humorous Republican bandwagon (hell, she's steering the horses), but the woman can be funny as all hell sometimes. Kind of surprising, actually.
A few things you should know re: my write-on.
1. I only wrote-on for Law Review.
2. I only know a couple people on Law Review.
3. I am nearly certain that neither of them read any of these blogs.
4. I have no idea if any of them are even on the review board. I don't know how that works.
5. Although I have no way of proving this, it was not my intention to "reveal" my identity. I didn't even think I was going to write-on until the week before.
6. I identified my write-on with my SID, just as everyone else did.
In short, I don't think its a big deal. If you disagree, I encourage you to submit an anonymous complaint with the Dean's Office. Serious.
All valid points, but I think that it assumes 1) that by knowing who I am it somehow gives me an advantage, 2) I wouldn't have made it on (if I even do) without that advantage, and 3) that my comments in Crim Law were subject to so much discussion that upperclassman heard from people class. All are weak propositions, at best, b/c 1) most of the people who read this blog think I am a total clown and probably have a negative impression of me, 2) I did well enough in Legal Writing and Appellate Ad to know where I stand to the rest of my classmates (not to be a jerk, or anything), and 3) 1Ls just don't tell upperclassmen about who says what in class. Finally, I think if anyone on Law Review figured out who I was, they'd just nix me from the selection field for "breaking" the rules.
I sincerely apologize to anyone who thinks otherwise. It was a stupid mistake and I wish it could be easily remedied. Unfortunately, I think it would make it a bigger deal than it currently is if I tried to resubmit something titled differently than "Bolder Law."
I appreciate the support. I felt like I was going crazy losing sleep over an honest mistake....
Post a Comment