Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Path


Criminal or Civil Law?
Originally uploaded by Bolder Law.
Someone asked Buffs if he knew what kind of law he wanted to do. It’s a common question for law students. I think we’re all trying to find someone, something to relate with in order to assure ourselves that we have a “path.” Inherently, law students are ambitious, driven people, and we feel uneasy not putting that energy towards a certain goal or direction.

Right before law school, I delivered pizzas and worked at Starbucks. True. It was some of the worst (and best) periods of my life. I frequently became frustrated with the fact that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing with my life. I’m not sure that law school has answered all my problems – in fact it has created a whole new “world” of problems - or that my life is anymore meaningful, but at least I think I have a plan. Think is the crucial element.

I do not want to work in corporate law. One of my friends wants to do tax law. God bless her, I could never fathom how someone so smart could chose a career so utterly boring. In contrast, rather, I see myself being a trial lawyer. While some, including our esteemed commander in chief, may equate “trial lawyer” with “total sleaze bag,” I do not.

However, there are various paths from which I must choose. First, there is the major question of civil or criminal. Second, if I decide to do criminal, I must figure out side I want to work for: prosecutorial, i.e. district attorney, or as a defense attorney, most likely as a public defender. Third, if I decide to do civil, there is the question of what to focus on.

As Buffs pointed out, most lawyers find a niche. I think this results because so much of civil litigation is based on referrals. For example, my roommate’s father is the lawyer to go to for train accidents. He won one of the biggest cases in Colorado state history against Burlington-Northern R.R. and it instantly made him an expert in the area. If a train hit me and I walked (or rolled my wheelchair) into some random attorney’s office, odds are that he’d tell me he specializes in some other type of law, but could refer me to a great train wreck lawyer (my roommate’s dad). Obviously this process works vice versa too.

As of now, I am pretty sure that I will do criminal law for at least a few years. I will not do it the rest of my life. I’m not ready to find my niche practice area and stay there for the rest of my life. I couldn’t handle it. After working in a public defender’s office, I am becoming more and more convinced that I would be more comfortable as a prosecutor: I don’t know if I could put my heart into representing a murderer or rapist. Working as a D.A. also seems to open up more avenues than public defense because they aren't pigeonholed as a certain kind of lawyer and firms know that if you can win a felony jury trial beyond a reasonable doubt, there's a solid chance you'll be a good lawyer. Still, both sides offer the opportunity to figure out what the hell I’m doing in a courtroom; I can always turn over and start practicing on the civil side. The money of working for a mega law firm is certainly enticing for those with the grades. I’m kinda on the edge, so I’ve thought about it a little, but the reality of working 80 hours a week for 3 years before assisting a senior associate or partner in a deposition for the first time isn’t too attractive for me.

Obviously, others have different thoughts on the subject matter. I’d definitely welcome any comments on any of the above…..

4 comments:

Coffinberry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaded said...

i used to have all sorts of ideas about i would or wouldn't do in a job. but now i'm down to only two restrictions: no family law and no criminal law. too much of an emotional drain for me personally. other than that, i have expanded my horizons to consider such things as litigation or natural resources law (two things i used to swear i wouldn't do.) it's amazing how being unemployed can change your perspective. my advice is to make sure you take classes other than the ones you think you like. sometimes you stumble across a topic that you find even more interesting. don't limit yourself.

Buffs said...

I'm deadset against criminal. I think I can whore myself out and do anything else. I'd really prefer not to be a trial lawyer, too.

shell said...

Actually I knew quite a few ADA who went into private practice because they got tired of the field. But then there are those who love criminal law and stay in there for years. Guess it's like what you said - you find your own niche.