Friday, May 20, 2005

The Waiting Game

We got our Wills grades today. The exam was over three weeks ago and it was all multiple choice. Still, Wills is the only grade I have so far.
I know it's trite, but I can't get over how long it takes for professors to get our grades in, especially when the exam didn't even have to be read. What are they doing in the meantime? Are they struggling to remember who deserves to lose points for being late more times than not or for asking exceedingly stupid questions? Do they actually throw the exams down a set of stairs several times and assign grades based on the test's average landing spot?

I'm always torn at this time of year. I think I'm like most law students in that I find my average decidedly "eh"; I pray that this semester's grades will raise it, but I'm terrified that it will drop. The hope of improvement keeps me checking my grades and the fear of regression keeps me wincing as the page loads.
LIT mentioned that a friend of hers never checked his/her grades from last semester. In a way that seems healthy; the average law student's obsession with her grades could certainly stand to be tempered. At some point, though, don't you have to look? If an interviewer says "I see you got a D in Civil Procedure," I'm not sure what the best response might be, but I doubt it's "Really?"

1 comment:

Ryan Kalamaya said...

One of my friends didn't check her grades last semester, but knows her rank. I'm not sure which is worse....

Good to see you back on the blogging beat, Moop. (I can't believe I just wrote "blogging beat.")