Its been almost two weeks since I turned the page to find Mueller's question about remittitur, writ of mandamus, and some other totally random civil procedure gimicks in my last exam. Since then, I have vomited until mid-afternoon from a raging hangover, had some random 3L walk into my room the morning after spending the night with my roommate, and spent the past weekend fly fishing up near Aspen. Its been a real hoot, let me tell you. The contrasts between feeling like your in heaven from the cool, reassuring feeling of resting your cheek on the side of your dirty toilet and sitting under a million stars drinking a cold beer, listening to Bob Marley after a good day of yanking trout on a dry-fly, are pretty stark, I know, but they are the simple pleasures that take on whole new proportions after your first year of law school.
I started my little jobby-job today. Well, at least one of them. I'm working at an anonymous county public defender's office a couple days a week, in addition to working for a professor the rest of the week. It should make for an interesting, although somewhat impoverished summer. I'm not too bothered, though. Hey, someone's got to take advantage of the lowest interest rates on student loans in the history of mankind.
Seriously, though, the whole "real world" of law is somewhat mind blowing. I spent at least 3 hours of doing pointless research on sex offender law today. This was all done on Westlaw: I despise Westlaw. Despise. I don't know why. Of course, this is what I'll be limited to using at the public defender's office. Sweet. And after spending twenty minutes trying to find the "print" button, I realized I had one attorney telling me to do X, while another attorney told me to to do Y. I felt totally impotent as I stood there knowing how utterly useless I am at this stage of the game. I am little league compared to the big boys swatting homers in the bigs. That, my friends, is a humbling, humbling experience.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment