Law School Career Offices Seek Fix For More Lawyers, Fewer Jobs
About 35 percent of the University of Colorado School of Law's Class of 2009 had jobs at graduation
EDIT: In the comments, professor Scott Moss chimes in that the numbers are reversed. The proper figure is: 35% unemployed/65% employed.
See also: Above The Law, ABA Journal, WSJ
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Let's just hope that CU is not inflating this employment statistic like most other law schools. If they are, they'd be smart to inflate it a little higher.
Apparently this was an incorrect statistic and was mistakenly released.
This is Professor Moss; I've just confirmed that the newspaper got the stat backwards: we had 35% unemployed, not 35% employed. Of course, even 35% unemployed is extremely unfortunate; in the prior two years (i.e., pre-recession), we had just 11-17% unemployed upon graduation, and that figure dropped to only 3-6% unemployed 9 months after graduation. I don't know other schools' figures, but it's very unfortunate the newspaper decided to single out CU based on an incorrect stat.
Are you sure about the numbers Professor Moss? Dean Matthews seemed less willing to come up with a final number and Law Week is sticking to its 35% "real" number at graduation (meaning 35% of the class reporting jobs, as opposed to NALP's massaged numbers).
http://www.lawweekonline.com/?p=1533
Professor Moss,
Do you know how many of the 65% were employed in positions requiring a JD or does CU not keep track of that information?
From the discussions I have had with my former classmates, I would say that being employed in a position that requires a JD is the exception and not the rule for the class of '09.
I loving call this the "Lawpocalypse." Or bloodbath depending on my mood.
Post a Comment