Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bar Review Blues

Here is a forum for you to gripe about this ridiculous process known as Bar Prep. Have at it...

211 comments:

1 – 200 of 211   Newer›   Newest»
Anonymous said...

Wow, this evidence lecture is Painful! What a shitty way to learn this material, these BarBri lectures are really not helpful. In fact, I want to design a Halo-style videogame to study this crap. Anybody want to pre-order?

Anonymous said...

I wish I wouldn't have signed up for Barbri - what a waste of money ...

Anonymous said...

The worst part? That they have to get the lecture to go the full 6 or 9 hours. The torts lecture? Should have been 1 day. The evidence lecture 2 days.

This sucks.

Anonymous said...

It would be great if the lecture added anything to the outline. But it really didn't. I'm studying on my own Thursday and Friday. I wanted to beat my head on the desk today.

Anonymous said...

can we discuss the awesome pics from the outback that are circulating???

Anonymous said...

Got my graded answers from last Friday's practice test for two of the questions: performance essay and contracts. Did OK on the K question, but was surprised to score so low (8) on the PE. I was also surprised that they gave a point for something the judge wasn't asking for-- it was why this instruction, not why the plaintiff couldn't prevail. I thought that was odd. It wasn't a Motion for Summary Judgment. So basically, if that's how nonsensical it is, I'm scared.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind Barbri. I feel like it forces me to spend time everyday listening to a discussion of the material. Sabbath and Whitebread were really helpful. Rossi - the Evidence instructor - was too slow, but the Property professor actually did a quality job explaining the rule against perpetuities. The best part about it is that you don't have to go if you don't want to.

Also, the practice exam being graded was nice. It shows how much you can half-ass an answer and still get the point.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I didn't sign up for Barbri. I'm sticking to my own personal study schedule and I still have plenty of free time. Hooray!

Anonymous said...

The worst part of Bar Bri is all the shit they give you to do! I'm fine going to the lectures for a few hours a day and even spending a few hours reviewing the lecture outlines and doing some MBE questions. But then there's the half a dozen OTHER books that Bar Bri gave me and the Paced Program which tells me I should be doing about 5 more hours of work during a day than I actually am!

Seriously, is anyone studying for 8 hours a day in addition to going to Bar Bri class?!?!?

Anonymous said...

I think Barbri gears its paced program to the lowest common denominator. No, I'm not doing the paced program. I'm spending an hour or so a day outside of class at the moment. I will add more time after this week.

Anonymous said...

I go to class, period. That's it for now. I don't read the outlines, but I will when I start reviewing b/c I discovered that reading them ahead of time wasn't particularly helpful. I misinterpreted rules and spent too long trying to figure out something that wasn't that difficult when explained in the video. I think I'll kick it into high gear next week. Not having any time off really killed my motivation. Suggestion: Have a week off before PMBR starts next year.

And I said this elsewhere, but CU really ought to offer a comprehensive review of bar subjects spring semester third year. Having to relearn all of first year and some of second year in 6 weeks and for $2K is stupid. Why not help us out by providing a useful review class through the school? It'd be practical and appreciated. I'd also like to note that we do a horrendous job of preparing people for the torts portion of the bar and the criminal law section, mostly because we never covered many of the torts/crimes included on the MBE.

Anonymous said...

I second that, especially criminal law.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad there is someone else out there who is just doing the class. I was starting to panic a bit. Everyday it seems pretty manageable - but I just worry about pulling it all together.

I am absolutely dreading next weekend. Why oh why will is take two days 9-5 to review? That's too long.

I think BarBri should go an extra week, but only be 4 days/week - that would be much more manageable.

Anonymous said...

I think that CU should offer a class for last semester 3Ls: taking and preparing for the bar exam-101. Get material all in one place explain approaches, topics and study skills. Doing this over one semester would be very helpful and make studying for the bar over the summer much more palatable. As it is, I am freaking at the amount of information I need - and how I keep getting very low scores (50 - 60%) on MBE practice exams. I just feel like there isn't enough time in the day.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't freak out yet. What should we be getting on our MBE practice exams?

Anonymous said...

I quickly determined that Barbri gives way too much material. It's impossible to get through it all. My approach? Focus on the lectures. Ignore the in-depth outlines and refer to the Conviser Mini-Review for clarification when needed. Do tons of practice MBE questions and outline every single essay question in the Colorado essay book. I passed the exam on my first try.

Anonymous said...

I thought we only needed to get 50-60% of the questions right on the MBE. It's scaled. SC only requires a 125 (I don't know how that compares to other states). I was told that you can count on an 18-20 point curve so if you get 105/200 right you've got a good shot. 60% right (120) should be a lock for passing, right? Or am I missing something?

Anonymous said...

Here's what I think... They toss out 10 questions. I believe 138/200 (with 10 tossed out) gets you half the points needed to pass the exam so you're shooting for about 65-70%. According to the website, the magic number is 276 out of a possible 400. Therefore, the MBE is half the available points (200), meaning you need 138 to pass assuming no free points from the curve. So 60% won't be a lock for passing, although you could compensate on the essay portion.

Question for bar takers, when do I need to kick it into high gear? I'm hoping that failing the practice MBE this weekend will provide some inspiration.

vive_la_reve2 said...

I think a CU organized Bar Review Course would be great. I mean Bar Bri basically uses scare tactics to promote their classes. What a joke their classes end up being. As far as the comment you don't have to go to class... no I don't but I've paid $2K for a class, whereas I could have purchased the books over the internet for a couple grand... so I expect those classes to be damn inspirational! Furthermore, they at last could have handed out a study schedule th first day or emailed it to me directly instead of requiring me to dig around on their stupid website. BarBri = C+.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey,

Does anybody else think that the PMBR rep E is a douche for coming into our BarBri classes and spouting his program? I was really turned off. Aside from adopting a used car-salesman mentality, the guy talks way too much and needs to take a listening class.

Anonymous said...

So I'm taking the evening class tonight and this Property lecturer needs to slow down and lose the nasal tonality. I'm not absorbing anything. Where do they get these horribly unengaging lecturers?

Anonymous said...

Southern California of course! She tells you that a few hundred times. Don't worry she slows way down when you get to landlord tenant material in the last 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hope pmbr rep (whatever his name is) realizes soon that his used car salesman pushiness is really a turnoff for everyone. I mean does that mentality actually work?

Anonymous said...

Wow, blatant censorship!!! I made a valid point that Viva was whining, and that he didn't have to take the course, or that he could buy the books from a graduate, etc., etc., and he deleted it!!! There was no profanity, no singling him out (which I do here b/c he deleted it. Basically, he censored me because I don't agree with his view point. That is BS! I will post this again if I am censored.

Anonymous said...

anon 10:48: 400 points? CO must do it differently. SC has 7 sections (MBE and 6 essays) and are allowed to fail one section (except that we have to get atleast a 110 on the MBE to have the rest graded). Scaled 125 is passing on the MBE. Ya'll probably don't care about me.

Does anyone else not have to worry about MBE-topic essays?

Anyway, thank god for alcohol. Unfortunately most of my friends down here are all studying too hard and no one wants to hit the lake.

vive_la_reve2 said...

Anon: 6:42,

Yes, I erased your comment for lack of quality. It was a valid but meaningless comment that added nothing other than to say "stop whining"! I have valid complaints that I'm not getting value for my money and I don't need to hear your BS response. If I were running BarBri or their competition, I would probably pay attention to the little things and not just dump a bunch of books in my customer's lap and say GO TO IT. Bottom line: they set expectations and have not lived up to them. Had they disclosed, I certainly would have just purchased the books on-line and studied by myself.

Furthermore, as poster of this thread, I enjoy the right to delete whatever I want... I've made no editorial promises on censorship nor will I. Thanks, Vive (with an E)

P.S. viewpoint is one word

Anonymous said...

> Yes, I erased your comment for lack of quality. It was a valid but meaningless comment ...

Wow. Just, wow.

Welcome to the new, fascist version of the CUBlawg.

Anonymous said...

No, the blog has always been somewhat fascist - or, perhaps more precisely, subject to seemingly arbitrary censorship.

Some blog admins erase things that insult them personally (ie, Vive), which is transparent.

What's worse, though, is when admins dont erase certain posts because a friend wrote them (ie, RE leaving MS's nasty postings up time and again).

Anonymous said...

Ha! Viva, you could have, I don't know, asked some of the 1 million people who took Barbri in the past, instead of just reading advertisements, if you wanted to know what to expect. Apparently your revolution is fascist. You are a prick. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Nice defense, Vive. So you say you can delete anything you want, and then criticize spelling. You are asstastic. That is my view point.

Anonymous said...

I paid for BarBri to have the outlines read to me. I am very satisfied with BarBri, though disappointed that they give people some "paced" schedule, a schedule which, at first (and only) glance seems nonsensical and stupid. I go to the lectures, have them read to me and then, I will read over portions of the outline if and only if the lecture didn't make sense. Pray for me.

Anonymous said...

I will also note that I was quite disappointed in our Wills and Trusts lecturer, who said he assumed that we were not there to have the lectures read to us. Quite disappointing. However, after a quick perusal of the outline, I was satisfied that he had substantially read the outline to us. Very satisfying.

Anonymous said...

I too appreciate having the outlines read to me. I also like that many lecturers highlight the most important topics. Does anyone else think that having to watch it on video makes you pay more attention? For some reason, it feels more like a tv show and less like a class.

Pray for me too please. Oh and let's stay on point here guys. Studying for the bar sucks!

Anonymous said...

Anon 1:33,

What do you expect? That's what good friends are for. Be completely biased and cover for your ahole of a friend.

Anonymous said...

Hey former 3Ls - why don't you get off the blawg already? You aren't students here anymore.

Anonymous said...

Newsflash, last Anon: Until you pass the bar, and especially while you're doing bar prep, you still feel like a student. I suspect that you will not see former 3Ls much after the bar results have been released. Until then? Get used to having us bitch on the blawg.

cadoner said...

Plenty of alumni post here. Don't get all web-hogging on us.

Anonymous said...

Hey aspiring blawg-hog, we're just about the only ones posting on here right now. How about you go enjoy your summer while we do what everyone does best on the blawg and complain?

I'm spending more time at the law school than I ever did as a student, so I feel no need to part with the blawg at the moment. I'm sure current students will dominate the posts again in August.

Anonymous said...

Wow, do I sense a sense of entitlement?

Anonymous said...

Has anyone used the Study Smart software and looked at their percentile rankings? In certain subjects I got up to 90% of my questions correct and it has my score in the 11th percentile? Is this accurate, or are these questions just so damn easy that they're not really preparing me for the bar? Very confused.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that my percentiles didn't seem quite right until I had ventured into all levels of difficulty.

Anonymous said...

I suck at the MBE. Quick tally reveals I got about 51% correct. Not promising.

Anonymous said...

46% yeah!!!!

I'm going to fail... stupid bar.

Anonymous said...

I didn't go to the analysis lecture. Did they explain what we should have scored at this point? I know they said these questions were harder. Did they explain that some more?

naechstehaltestelle said...

Hey, not only has it been years since I took the bar (and passed, thank God) but I still read this blawg. OK, maybe that means I am lame. It certainly doesn't mean I miss law school.

Oh, and I scored in the bottom 30% on the practice test. Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

I love the way that First Property Speaker says: "If they refer to Joint Tenancy, then it is a Tenancy in Common, unless they specifically call it a Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship." So I take the practice test, assume that a joint tenancy is a tenancy in common based on her comments. And my answer is "WRONG." Second property guy says, "only joint tenancy quoted from some document is a tenancy in common. If the test generically refers to a joint tenancy, than it is a joint tenancy with right of survivorship." I f**king hate barbri, and make up your minds, asshole teachers.

Anonymous said...

Is it a mistake for the MBE to just study the CMR and memorize that? Anyone?

Anonymous said...

I think you can get away with the CMR. One of the property speakers said to read the big outlines for mortgages / recording statutes, but I haven't had a problem with those questions.

But the CMR is much clearer about elements and rules than the speakers are, and it is probably better for the essays.

Also, the Torts lady explaining the questions is a screamer. She is annoying. My ears still hurt.

Anonymous said...

I like Pizzi a lot, but CU should invest in Whitebread or whatever his name is.

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't believe I wasted my money on PMBR - not only did I do Barbri, but now I have to go an lose even more confidence in the PMBR class (which, by the way, makes Barbri look like Yale).

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I didn't do PMBR. I am looking into AdaptiBar, though.

Anonymous said...

Ok. One month away. How much time are you guys putting in now? Honest answers.

Anonymous said...

starting today, about 4 hours/day on top of class, so 8 hours total. like a full time job. soon to become a 16-hour per day job, probably around july 14 or so. i'm terrified.

cadoner said...

Hey guys, I just started studying for the CA bar exam on Friday, so you can all compare yourselves to me and go, "Oh, man. At least I'm not that guy."

Anonymous said...

I was happy with my 50% only because I think the simulated exam questions are suppose to be harder, right? I have not gone to the analysis lecture to find out, but I really hope that is true.

Anonymous said...

Simulated Exam Average: 108 out of 200.

Actual Exam Average: 121 out of 200.

Actual Exam Average (scaled): 147 out of 200 (all this means is that they run the raw scores through some convoluted algorithm to account for the curve.)

I have been studying 8 to 9 hours a day, not including weekends and including class. After the 4th, I plan to study much more.

That is all.

Anonymous said...

Generally, 0 hours a day. Soon to be more. Don't you feel better now?

Yes, they said the questions tested are particularly difficult.

Anonymous said...

Amount of study: no more than 4 hours any given day (that includes classes, except for these past 3 days), but averaging I'd say no more than 2-3 hours daily if I count weekends.

I got 103 on the mock MBE, which I'm neither surprised nor concerned about at this point.

I've gone to all the BarBri classes. For about 1/2 of them I read the large outline material, and I've done only a single set of topic-specific MBE practice questions.

I'm aiming to spend no more than 8 hours (average) per day through mid-July, and maybe...just maybe up that to 10 hours if my practice tests don't have solid margin of error above the passing line by then.

Yes, the classes are hit and miss w/r/t personality of the instructor (though I think all the guys in the class were pleasantly surprised by the CrimLaw/CrimPro instructor who appeared during today's MBE review)...but I'm trusting the process and the quality of what I learned at CU to get through.

Anonymous said...

The quality of what I learned at CU ranges from really bad to good. I won't name names, but I wish some professors were better in covering the material instead of expecting us to learn it on our own.

So far, I studied 6 hours per day (including the lectures) for subjects that I think were inadequately covered by CU professors. For example, crim law with Pizzi.

For other subjects, I just went to the lectures. That's it. Thankfully, I did okay on the mock MBE exam.

Anonymous said...

I'm studying about 3-4 hours per day (including class). I will bump it up to 5-6 for the next two weeks and then 8-10 the last two and a half weeks before the bar.

But... we will all pass... I am sure of it!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know when the crash PMBR class is?

Anonymous said...

I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Torts and Criminal Law really need to be revamped. We learned very few torts, and I see no reason why assault, false imprisonment, and defamation couldn't be included in the curriculum. There's really no need to spend two months covering negligence.

Criminal Law is entirely too focused on rape, which rarely shows up on the MBE (at least my class). The theft crimes should certainly be covered. If any of us end up practicing criminal law, we certainly won't be trying rape cases any time in the near future. We'll be doing theft and assault cases. I don't see why some professors are so topic-specific.

As for Civil Procedure, I'm toast. I learned nothing except that it's "neat." I'll be writing, "Well, you could try it!" unless I manage to learn a year's worth of Civ Pro in the next month.

Anonymous said...

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that Anon 11:04 had Pierre for Torts, Care-Bear for Crimlaw, and the Wookie for Civpro.

Anonymous said...

Anyone that had the Wook would have had EC for Torts.

Anonymous said...

I go to class from 9-12 (except when the lecture is longer, such as today and tomorrow when it goes till 1), come home, eat lunch, check email, and then spend the remaining hours of the day until midnight (or sooner if I pass out) doing some combination of napping, drinking, watching TV, reading the blawg and other useless websites, and running.


At some point, I hope to add a few hours in the afternoon either reading outlines or re-writing my own notes.

On another note, apparently the BarBri Essay Topics book for South Carolina does not contain answers which reflect South Carolina law. Is that the norm everywhere?

Anonymous said...

The Wills and Trusts guy is awful. What does he have against blank spaces? I wish someone would come and "release" me. Couldn't they have found someone better? Personally, I can't learn Wills and Trusts from someone without a bow tie.

Anonymous said...

I. hate. that. stupid. question. involving. Futsworth. and. his. dumb. deck.

I've missed it six times! There are only four answers. How can I miss it six times! aaargh.

Anonymous said...

The more studying I do, the worse I'm doing on my StudySmart questions. I'm about ready to give up!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGH.

Anonymous said...

What is a "study smart" question?

Anonymous said...

On the chance that your inquiry is serious, StudySmart is the electronic version of those big green BarBri MBE question books. The nice thing about using StudySmart is that you can set the program to time you. It also keeps track of your score, and allows you to compare your progress across topics and with other students preparing for the bar throughout the country. You can set the program to score each question immediately after answering it (along with the explanation), or to give you a whole series of questions before scoring them. If you're a BarBri enrolled student, the StudySmart software is downloadable from the BarBri website.

Anonymous said...

I just got my $200 tuition deposit - couldn't have come at a better time - I am stretched to the limit.

Anonymous said...

So has anyone heard from the Colorado Supreme Court regarding sitting for this test? I haven't heard anything since I received the letter stating that they were waiting for the forms from CU (the LX-whatevers).

Anonymous said...

Nope. And I fully expect to have character & fitness issues, so I'm waiting for the letter.

cadoner said...

I just received my tuition deposit as well. Suck it, 2008 class gift!

Anonymous said...

huh. that's funny about the study smart program. I can do that too! If I want to time myself, I look at the clock. I can also decide whether to score after each question or after a group of questions, simply by deciding when to flip to the answer page to see how I did. I can also keep track of my score by doing a little simple math. It's amazing what technology allows us to do.

I can also waste precious bar studying time but putting up a seemingly useless and jackassish post on the blawg.

Anonymous said...

I think I just discovered biggest show-off in the country: I hate this woman! Thanks, for raping me of my confidence and making me feel like an idiot all at once.

Anonymous said...

That woman looks at least 40. Shenanigans, I say. Even if she is 18, take solace in the fact that you probably don't look 30 years older than you are. She may be licensed, but you have youthful looks on your side!

Anonymous said...

Anon 3:33, I got an email from them last month (June 11) to download the BarExam version of ExamSoft. The essay portion of the test is already locked away somewhere in my hard drive. You might want to check your e-mails.

Anonymous said...

I bet she is awfully boring in bed!

Anonymous said...

Doogie Howser, J.D. I wonder if she has a slacker Italian buddy who is always up to something.

At least I can probably beat her in Beer Pong (just not court).

Anonymous said...

FUCK! I hate this bar prep bull-shit. I am so sick of trying to memorize all this I could just puke. And those bullshit MBE questions - wtf! I'm scoring like 55 - 60%! Am I really this dumb? Why do all of the questions seem like tricks? Why do we have to go through all this bullshit?

cadoner said...

Might I recommend studying for the Bar AT a bar. Makes things go so much smoother.

Anonymous said...

If you're only scoring between 50 and 60% on your MBE practice questions you should be shitting your pants at this point.

(Actually, I don't know, but I know that's what I'm averaging and that's what I'm doing! Excuse me, have to go change those undies again.)

Coffinberry said...

According to p. 1001 in the BarBri MBE Question Set volume 1... if you're scoring between 50 and 60% right now, you're on target and will do great. Take a deep breath and relax. You're fine.

Anonymous said...

anyone have any idea how perfect your definitions need to be on the essays? for example, is voluntary manslaughter a passion killing, or a sudden, intense passion killing? is summary judgment based upon "no genuine issue of material fact" or "no material questions of fact" as it is defined in different locations? does an agent act on behalf of or for the benefit of an principal? i am having a hard time "self-grading" these tests.

Anonymous said...

The Family Law speakers were horrible. Their memory devices look like this, "azsadlwenlasd." I would say Barbri is shooting about 50% with these speakers.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was in Boulder so I could go study at the Dark Horse. Good call Cadoner.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have any idea when and where the three day PMBR class is?

Coffinberry said...

FWIW, my admission badges to the exam arrived in today's mail.

Anonymous said...

Mine too. Seems ridiculous and wasteful that computer-users have to submit their USB ports and that they'll all be destroyed. Also, no headbands. Wtf?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have a link to a breakdown of the frequency that essay topics are tested? If secured transactions shows up, I'll be back for Round II in February.

I'm not sure if it's the cold medicine, but he seems off his game lately.

Anonymous said...

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgcqxvm4_2d67f4bfp

Anonymous said...

did anyone NOT get their badge today?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. Does this mean that we're due for Commercial Paper and Secured Transactions questions or that the Board of Law Examiners realized how ridiculous it is to test these subjects? It's silly to have so many specialized topics. Why have Family Law on the exam? Outside of our own divorces, those of us who don't go into family law won't touch the stuff.

The PMBR website says that the Boulder class is at the Marriott. Surely it lies.

I haven't checked the mail, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get my badges b/c I sent in my fingerprints rather late. Not being able to take the bar would be a dream come true.

Anonymous said...

"Why have Family Law on the exam? Outside of our own divorces, those of us who don't go into family law won't touch the stuff."

Isn't that true for just about every topic on the test?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just realized last night I forgot to send in my fingerprint card and hope it's not too late. Because that would suck.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand secured transactions or commercial paper, so they'll probably both be on the exam.

Anonymous said...

this is forgot to turn in my fingerprint card again: for those of you who were later with yours, did you get a reminder? Because I didn't, and as I was trying to figure out why I didn't get my badge I realized I had forgotten to do that and now feel like an idiot.

Anonymous said...

Okay - so I just listened to the PMBR lecture on Crim Pro ... which directly contradicts Whitebread's lecture. When using an informant for an affidavit to get a warrant, do you need to discuss the reliability of the informant and the credibility of the information or not? PMBR says yes, Whitebread says no.

Arg!!!!

And PS. I am crossing my fingers there will be a family law question... it's the only thing that will save me!

Anonymous said...

FYI: I still haven't turned in my fingerprint card but I did receive my admission ticket.

Anonymous said...

When using an informant for an affidavit to get a warrant, do you need to discuss the reliability of the informant and the credibility of the information or not? PMBR says yes, Whitebread says no.

In accordance with most of Crim Pro... sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Huh. It may be my ethnic survey form then. Turned it in, but said it was missing, and then on the phone she didn't mention it. I'l call on Monday.

Anonymous said...

With regard to the essay subjects. I think Agency is fair game. Whether you're going to do business law or torts, it comes up a lot.

Anonymous said...

I got my badges and my fingerprint card was ridiculously late. I also apparently forgot to submit some supplemental explanation and they still came.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'll ask again: is there anyone besides me who hasn't gotten their badge?

Anonymous said...

what was the deadline on the fingerprint card? I totally spaced it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there was a specific deadline.

When is Boulder PMBR? Friday?

Anonymous said...

Speaking of PMBR, did anyone take the longer class, and, if so, do you prefer the barbri or PMBR outlines? I have the PMBR books, but the outlines seem ridiculously long (99 pages for Torts??).

Anonymous said...

Dude, PMBR is a piece of shit. Besides, if you did Barbri, you don't need another class - you just need to practice. Overkill + Douche-Baggery = PMBR.

No wonder, their sales reps have to resort to used car salesman tactics in pushing their products.

Anonymous said...

I looked at both PMBR and Barbri outlines as well. Sometimes they present conflicting laws.

I had to choose Barbri outline because it is shorter.

cadoner said...

I went with a family-run company. home study style. Cheaper. We'll see if it works out.

Anonymous said...

I recently took the Bar in Chicago and passed. I took the PMBR course and literally never opened the PMBR books (outlines, practice tests, or otherwise). The PMBR test was about 100 times more difficult than the actual MBE. Do your BAR/BRI tests, do your essays, and you will pass.

Anonymous said...

Argghh f*ck sh!t balls mother f*cker. GD MF SOB F this sh!t. mother f*cking son of a f*ng horse f*ng jacka$$ mother f*cker. BLEEEP F*CKING BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP. God F*CKING dammit. Mother f*cker. BLEEP f*cking bleep bleep bleep. Bleep f*cking son of a b!tch. F*CK. GAWDDAMMIT!!!!

That's how I feel right now. If only I could yell that out in this f*cking library. ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHH


F*CK.

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:52:

Ditto.

Anonymous said...

Where are these mysterious PMBR notcards I've heard about?

Anonymous said...

i haven't turned in my finger print card - totally spaced it till i read the blawg today. Also i haven't gotten my "badges" [you would think that alone would have prompted action on my part]. So i called the examiners and they said to just turn in the fingerprint card as soon as possible and they'll still send me my badges. So i'll be doing that tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm also in the no fingerprint, no badge group. At least the lady I talked to was really, really nice about it.

Anonymous said...

You would think that since the bar exam is effectively 2 weeks away that I would be highly motivated to study, but I'm just finding new ways to f*** around. You'd also think that since I can't understand the following:
Secured TX, Comm'l Paper, Real Property, Wills & Trusts, Contracts, and Civ Pro, that it would provide further motivation. But no. . . maybe a nice, big, humiliating FAILURE will do it, huh?

Anonymous said...

Aargh, I spent all day at the vet b/c the cat, who has never been sick before, ate a few hair ties. After puking all over, he required emergency surgery to get the intestinal blockage out. He's okay thankfully, but still at the vet's. The moral--don't neglect your pets for the bar exam, they'll make you pay. I'm broke and in danger of failing the bar. Awesome.

Oh and PMBR stopped providing flashcards this year. You can buy them for the not-so-reasonable price of $100.

Anonymous said...

sorry about the cat! I've had that same cat issue. and one day out of studying is not going to=failing the bar. Now, the many days I've wasted. . . ummmm, yeah.

Anonymous said...

i hate cats.

gosh, the bar makes me quite a miserable person.

Anonymous said...

it makes most people unhygienic too. haven't washed my hair in days.

Anonymous said...

Is it me, or did the family law lecture cover NOTHING? I just took a practice essay after studying the lecture and got a 3. A f**king 3. And the questions I missed had nothing to do with SAGE and HEDDEC and all the other stupid mnemonics they gave us. Whores.

Anonymous said...

If what they teach isn't on the exams, then they aren't doing their job, especially for $2K.

Anonymous said...

Was the PMBR 3-day thing a total waste of precious time? I haven't been doing many MBE questions on my own, so at least it would make me do some, right? How about the analysis days? Too slow and pointless, or did you feel like you picked up some law picking through the answers? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed that they haven't gotten laid much this summer?

Anonymous said...

Is anyone else freaking out? I feel like I've done way too little and I'm genuinely scared. Anyone out there with advice on turbo-prepping?

Anonymous said...

I sit around and surf the web for 8/10 of the day. I know how you're feeling.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hear you as well. I cannot get away from the web. Suddenly, I am interested in everything on the news and blogs.

Is anyone else doing PMBR? 2 days of lecture seems a bit much. I don't even know if I am going to learn anything.

Anonymous said...

My brain just jumped out the fourth story of the law building. I don't know if I can keep this up for another week and a half.

Anonymous said...

In preparing for the bar exam I realized that I don't have any memory of why I wanted to go to law school in the first place. I then look at my bank ledger sheets, bar prep materials, the exam itself, and the job I'm headed into (if I pass) and I think: why in the fuck did I decide that law school would be a good idea? I am enjoying and have enjoyed relativity little about this debauchery they call the practice of law.

My only hope now, beyond passing the bar exam, is that I will win the lottery, or that my dream of making it big as a male model will come to fruition. Male modeling agencies: if you're reading this - I need your help - I'm counting on you.

Not everything is doom and gloom though: P. Bush has done his part in assuring that the economy is in great shape, so I don't have to worry about inflation or unemployment. There's no reason that I should think that the value of my degree is going down - It's all worth it.

Furthermore, after watching days of videos that took no more than $500 total to produce, I'm assured of passing the bar exam - I can sleep easy because I know that Barbri and PMBR are really there to help me (I'm sure that they are non-profits with all the good work they do - why would we tax those saints?).

And, finally, in response to the comments about being scared shitless and not working hard enough and wasting so much time on the internet: There is little reason to worry; so long as the exam is curved and DU students are still allowed to take, everyone will pass without issue.

Anonymous said...

I think DU students probably try harder than we do. No confidence in your, "as long as DU students are allowed to take the exam we'll be ok" theory.

Anonymous said...

I just got fvcked by the pope!

Anonymous said...

This thought keeps going through my mind: "PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL, PASS/FAIL..."

It's all I've got going for me right now. A friend who is a lawyer put it to me this way. "You will pass because you took barbri, you went to a top tier law school, and you are not retarded (as far as I know)." So hopefully that is slightly reassuring. Back to privity and seisen and search and seizure and usurping the interests of others.

Anonymous said...

Seisen?!?!?! What the fvck is that?

Anonymous said...

"I think DU students probably try harder than we do."

Right ... that must be why their bar passage rate is so high (47% for first time takers).

Anonymous said...

Seisen = who pays taxes on an estate. Land must always have seisen. If your mom owns a house, your mom has seisen. it has come up on approximately 0 practice questions.

Anonymous said...

All I see is that they pass somewhere in the 65% range.

Anonymous said...

I am getting worse and not better on the Barbri MBE questions. Anyone else completely freaking out?

Anonymous said...

I'm holding it together, but just barely. I did horribly in Barbri MS Exam workshop and continue to do horribly on prob sets. So I switched PMBR books. I am doing slightly better though.

Anonymous said...

This happened to me-- the more I studied the worse I got on the BB MBEs. I am finally, finally, starting to see small improvements. I do mixed levels of difficulty so it mimics the exam. Every time I see one of those long RP hypos I want to give up. And the K hypos aren't much better.

Anonymous said...

I'm really worried that the PMBR exam on Friday is going to cause a total nervous breakdown. If I do poorly, which is highly likely since I haven't done much, there isn't any time to fix it.

Coffinberry said...

You're describing the absolute panic I felt about two weeks ago. But keep plugging along, it does get better, and it sounds like it will get better for you at just the right time for the exam. Remember, the average raw score on the MBE is about 128, and lots of people pass below that score. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Nice avatar, CB!!! :)
Don't get me wrong (I'm not the anxiety poster, but I am having anxiety), I'm worried about the MBE, but is anyone else more petrified of the essays and having to regurgitate all that BLL in just.the.right.way? And not knowing if you're going to get your worst subjects? Because some of them are brutal. Two other points: Is the essay day first? And second, you can actually buy an online MBE composed of retired MBE questions from the National Board of Law Examiners. Since I've only done BB, I'm thinking of getting it. Only $26 for 100 questions. If anyone's interested, I'll post the link.

Coffinberry said...

Thanks; I decided I was done with anonymity.

Essay day is first.

Also, the essay questions from last February's exam are posted at the Colorado Law Examiner's website, for free. From what I've been able to tell by slowly plowing through the BarBri Colorado essay book, a lot of the points are designed to give credit for a mere "awareness" of a legal principle or rule. I've also noticed that in the more obscure subjects, an average score is very low, fewer than half of the available points. Chances are that there are at least one or two of the more obscure things that you're stellar at, and hopefully at least one of those will appear, giving you a chance to rack up some above the curve points.

And obviously, I'm distracting myself from studying, too. Everyone else is watching the new episodes of Avatar.

Anonymous said...

I'm simultaneously terrified and kicking myself for screwing around all summer.

Coffinberry or anyone else, what's the most useful study strategy? What gets me the most gain for my time. I've got resource and stress overload.

Anonymous said...

Anon 2:02, meet Anon 3:05. Yes, folks, that's A.M. Terrified future bar takers.

Coffinberry said...

I couldn't say what the best strategy is, but if you're that far behind I'd recommend the following:

Eat properly, Sleep, and Exercise regularly.
Be sure to get some sun.
Meditate, if you can.
Read through all 14 or 15 short outlines at least once, focusing on the black letter law only.
Know Contract formation, performance, and damages, Tort prima facie cases and Negligence rules, Con Law levels of scrutiny rules, Property Conveyance and Mortgages, and Evidence Character and Hearsay rules down cold.
Outline an hour's worth of essays per day.
Answer a daily portion of MBE questions, and study the answers. (Remember, about 80% of the time, if the answer choices have only one answer containing the word "if", it is the right answer. You can decide if you want to play the odds or not.)
If you haven't done any MPTs at all yet, be sure to do at least three or four before the exam (maybe every second or third day between now and then). They take some getting used to, and strategy plus practice go a long way on these. They equal 40% of your total score, and all the law you need to answer them is given to you, so this is an excellent place to raise points through a modest investment of time.
If there is an area that you are messing up regularly, re-study that subject.

You still have lots of time, if you don't stress out. Let go of the rest.

Unknown said...

Coffinberry, you are a very nice person. Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

New to this blog. That last one was supposed to be anonymous, but since it wasn't, want to say that this is a different Liz (not coffinberry posting compliments to herself). I just think some people would relish their preparedness and delight in seeing slackers stress. Thanks for taking your time to summarize the most important parts, Coffinberry!

Anonymous said...

hee hee. CB is a very, very nice person, Liz. Genuinely. For me, I find that outlining the essays and really going over the answers has helped me a lot because I see the same types of fact patterns over & over, which helps me focus my efforts. I've yet to write out a complete essay other than in BarBri, but probably will do that next week. I'm also not afraid to do the same essay 3 or 4 times just to make sure it sticks. As for the MBE, can't help you there! Not exactly setting the world on fire on that one.

Anonymous said...

FYI. MPT is 40% of the essay portion, but only 20% total.

Anonymous said...

Questions for the people posting at 2:00 or 3:00 AM. The test isn't for 12 days, right? Are you studying for 17 hours a day? Or do you enjoy studying late at night? Do you realize you don't have to get an "A" and your grade/score no way effects your GPA or job prospects?

If you are up because of stress, have a few drinks or something. You have a long way to go.

Anonymous said...

Not stress. Just insomnia. Get it all the time. And when I'm up late at night I start thinking about the bar. I would be fine with simply passing, believe me. It's that part I'm worried about!

Anonymous said...

I am serious about the drinking (or other self-medication if necessary). I had a few stressful nights where I couldn't sleep. A bit of whiskey put me right to sleep (1 or 2, not enough for a hangover). Obviously, moderation is important, etc., etc.

If you don't drink, a shovel may work.

Anonymous said...

By shovel, I mean hitting yourself in the face with it.

Anonymous said...

I was drinking as a last resort and it didn't work until 4:00 a.m. I was up from 1:45 until 4:00. Started drinking about 2:45. Now I feel like crap because I'm tired, can't focus, and I'm probably hung over, but it's hard to tell. Starting to think the alcoholic cure wasn't the best choice. But I don't want to start messing with shit like Ambien so close to the bar. Guess I'll have to try the shovel.

Anonymous said...

Thanks CB! And I like the new picture! Perhaps I should point out that I haven't done absolutely nothing. I outlined the MBE subjects and have just started making notecards for non-MBE subjects. It just feels like I haven't done anything and should have started much earlier.

I'm up that late b/c my sleep schedule is out of whack. I'm going to have to take something to Even though they tell you not to, I'm going to have to take something to fall asleep the nights before get back on the proper schedule. the exam. The plan is to take it really early (about 11 hours before the exam), so that the side effects have completely worn off. I know they tell you not to, but if I don't take anything, I won't sleep at all either night. It's happened to me during finals and I do much better when I sleep.

Anonymous said...

I took the bar in Colorado last year. I have always had problems not sleeping the night before big life events--like say, the bar exam. During July last year I would have at least one drink (sometimes two) each night to help relax, but then each night before the bar I took a sleeping pill (over the counter) at 9:00 pm with my nightly drink and I was OUT until 5:30 am the next morning. Sounds a bit extreme, you know, combining sleeping pills with alcohol, but hey--at least I slept and was able to think clearly the next day. I passed.

Anonymous said...

just don't take Ambien, for the sake of all test-takers. I don't want you coming into the test and murdering all of us while you are sleepwalking. That drug is messed up. And dying during the Bar exam would be the worst way to go...

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with Ambien as long as it's not taken while drinking?

If you're going to take a sleeping pill, I would recommend trying it several days in advance to see what the side effects are like and how long it takes to wear off. You don't want to spend the first few hours of the bar exam in a foggy haze.

Unfortunately, drinking isn't an option for me, as even one drink might put me over the edge since I've spent this summer experiencing bar-induced sobriety.

Anonymous said...

Well I was starting to get a little excited that I am now averaging in the high 60s - low 70s on my practice MBEs (up from low 50s).

However, I decided to do some practice essays today and realized that I don't know shit about Corporations. Moreover, I realized that I only know 6 areas of law, and what's worse, the only thing I'm sure of is stupid exceptions and useless rules that won't be tested on the essays. Stupid F'ing MBE ...

Coffinberry said...

Ok, I don't get this at all, and maybe some of you out there had some class I didn't, and understand the logic:

Why would using a lie about a past or present fact to steal $10 worth of gas be "obtaining title" to the gas (thus making it the crime of false pretenses) as opposed to "getting possession" of the gas (making it larceny by trick)? Is there something special about ownership of gasoline?

Anonymous said...

who cares anymore

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend taking the practice MBEs that are on the Board of Law Examiners site (or any other program that uses recycled MBE questions). I wasn't doing too hot on Bar Bri's questions and was getting consistently frustrated. I just sat down and did a 100 question timed test that I bought for $26 on the BLE site. I scored a 151 (don't know if that's raw or scaled but average is 140), which I am very happy with. The questions are different. The fact patterns are consistently shorter, and the answers make more sense. I will continue doing the Bar Bri sets, but I will probably also buy another of these tests to take next week and then use more of the time that I've been spending on MBE study on memorizing CO BLL, doing a little MBE study (probably 20% is all) to maintain or slightly improve my MBE performance.

Anonymous said...

CB, is that a BB question? Bastards. How can you have title to gasoline?

Coffinberry said...

Yes, it's a BB question.

The only thing I can figure (assuming that it isn't just BB playing with my mind) is that title must pertain to "right of ownership" as opposed to mere "right of possession." Thus, the obtaining title element of False Pretenses must be something other than getting a piece of paper that documents ownership, but rather merely the "fact" of ownership. But I wouldn't know. My brain is mush, and the answer key doesn't explain it. I think I'd better go look at the crim law outline again.

Anonymous said...

My guess would be that cash and gas are things that one obtains title AND possession at the same time (kind of like "bearer paper"). Where larceny involves taking and carrying away of personal property of another with possession, false pretenses involves taking actual title (actual ownership) - hence, it would be more correct? But then again, I can't imagine that the real bar exam will test such minute differences...

Anonymous said...

False pretenses also requires that the false pretenses are the reason you can take possession. Here is how I remember it:

1. If you lie about the past to get stuff (including title), and the reason you get the stuff is the lie, then False Pretenses.

2. If you just take the stuff, then larceny.

3. If you lie about the future to get stuff, larceny by trick

4. If you lie about stuff to get possession, but not title (ex: stealing a car from a dealership via test drive), larceny by trick.

Not very articulate, but the MBE doesn't require articulation.

Anonymous said...

My favorite BB question was the one where they did a search of someone's luggage, thereby delaying them, and that was false imprisonment at the airport.

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is what I think: If I loan you something, I've temporarily transfered possession to you, but not title. But if you trick me into giving you something I have outright, I've just transfered title to you under false pretenses. Obviously, gas isn't something that's easily loaned because it will be consumed, which is why I think BB used that fact pattern, lame as it is.

Anonymous said...

PMBR = LAME

Anonymous said...

I just graded my PMBR practice exam and I'm having a full blown heart attack. I only managed 55%. I'm going to fail.

Anonymous said...

Last anon:

1. Everyone says the PMBR questions are ridiculously hard.
2. Take my advice and do the 100 question MBE set by the BLE. It will make you feel better!!!! (And they're real MBE questions).

Anonymous said...

They said they were no harder than the actual one. I hope those extortionists were lying.

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:52

According the inside cover of the PMBR answer booklet the average raw score on this practice exam is only 95. You did better than you think.

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:54 PM:

Do you have to buy the 100 MBE questions from the BLE or is there a URL where you can download them?

Anonymous said...

It's all done online. Here's the link:

http://www.ncbex2.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=66

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:10 thanks! I feel much better now. I'm not sure why PMBR charges hundreds of dollars to shatter your confidence 10 days before the exam.

Also, don't pay for the online MBE questions if you have the BarBri books. There are actual MBE questions in Vol. 2 of the practice questions. Save what little of your money you have left! Certainly, this whole enterprise has cost enough already.

Anonymous said...

Taking that test and getting a "passing" grade was worth every single penny. The StudySmart thing was shattering my confidence. Could never, ever get about a 65 average. And you should see my overall percentile scores! Pathetic! Took 3 10 question randomized tests today, scored 60 on each, and wanted to throw my computer across the room. That's why I broke down and bought the BLE thing. The annotations were very, very helpful. I don't find BB's that helpful.

Anonymous said...

Scored 40% (81 Raw score) on PMBR - I'm screwed!

Anonymous said...

There's still time! Hang in there. Perhaps there's a particular subject or two you're struggling in and you can just review those. And maybe, unlike some of us (cough, me), you've actually touched the essay subjects.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, PMBR is much harder than barbri and the actual bar. If you look at the front of the book, your scaled score would be roughly 36 points higher. Admittedly, 40% correct isn't ideal, but it actually should be near the lower limits of passing when you consider that according to pmbr's statistics 25% people of people get lowered than an 80 on their final practice exam, yet Colorado's passage rate lets more than 75% of test takers add Esq to their name. That being said, review some more! :)

Anonymous said...

That being said... any previous exam takers out there? One thing I have noticed is how pmbr hits exceptions much more in-depth than barbri. Which approach is more representative of the actual exam? Am I wasting my time (or confusing myself) by learning the tie breaker rules for the electoral college (a real question on pmbr's exam)?

Anonymous said...

How can you trust a program that says their prep questions are the same difficulty level as the MBE when average raw scores on their prep questions turn out to be lower than the average on the MBE? With the bar less than two weeks away, people aren't going to make major gains in MBE proficiency since most people will be focusing on the essay portion of the exam. I'm glad I didn't do PMBR. I probably would have thrown myself into a sobbing heap after taking their practice exam.

Anonymous said...

I actually thought PMBR was pretty useful today. Learning the exceptions is pretty helpful since you're forced to know the rule as well. I think there's still time to make significant gains on the MBE. Just sitting through the review will get you a decent number of extra points even if you don't go crazy preparation-wise.

I must say though, those chairs are insanely uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh. I just looked at my BarBri graded essays and MPT. I got barely half on everything and that was while looking at the outline. This is not good. I hope the actual essays are graded much less harshly. Anyone know what the average on the essays is? I sure hope it's fairly easy to improve your essay scores. Otherwise, I'll be back in February!

Anonymous said...

Anon 204: PMBR specifically states that they eliminate for their practice exams all of the "gimme" questions that the bar has which accounts for roughly 20 points on your scaled score. So yes, at least in theory, PMBR's questions are the same difficulty as the medium/hard questions of the bar.

Anonymous said...

Did Nestor write the answers to the essay questions? One admin law question has this answer for a point: "A residuum of admissible, competent evidence may be required to support the decision."

I am not sure why they didn't just write, "A minimal amount of admissible, competent evidence is required to support the decision" or the "evidence need not be arbitrary."

Residuum? WTF?

Anonymous said...

Agreed. The answers obviously vary a ton in depth. Why they bother including essays such as that, ones that no human being has the ability to write in 25 minutes is silly. Two paragraphs, three max.

Anonymous said...

Nestor could do it.

Anonymous said...

Just reading the instructions scared me half to death. No mechanical pencils? Who shanked a proctor?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how harshly the essays are graded as well. When I finally looked over my graded practice essays, I felt like I had clearly stated things I didn't get points for. Guess I need to be even clearer...

Anonymous said...

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!! I am so not ready. How's everyone else feeling? My bad study habits are winning. Also, found this really depressing blog written by a CU Law grad. Took her 3 times to pass. Called Waitress, JD if you want to look it up. Depressed the hell out of me and thought, "That will be me!" (She graduated in 2006.)

Coffinberry said...

Now I know where you saw the residuum... made me stop and laugh in the middle of grading the question! I sure hope a grader isn't looking for big fancy words like that.

Ok, back to work...

Anonymous said...

If a joint tenancy is severed in a forest, and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Anonymous said...

It's depressing to think that 10-15 of our class are probably going to fail this thing.

Anonymous said...

It's really depressing to think I might be one of those 10-15.
How much do I study if I'm honest and deduct screwing around? 3 hours a day probably. I feel as if I deserve to be one of those guys.

Anonymous said...

How did you come up with 10-15. We are at a 95% passage rate right now... Aren't there at least 100 of us taking it? That puts us down to 5 people - a much better number in my opinion.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 211   Newer› Newest»