Friday, March 28, 2008

fall schedule!

as a dorky law student (along with others) I am very excited when the upcoming schedules come out. Thus, new post. I see some names of profs I've not seen before, but of course it could be that I don't pay attention. and you may enjoy the website collegeslate.com, which provides info on grades profs give in past semesters.

65 comments:

memphis minnie said...

wtf i don't know what's up with that link. anyhow.

Anonymous said...

the website link doesn't work, but I googled the site an it is not helpful. You can get accurate and current information on grading in the library. it would be more helpful to have a site like rateyourprofessors.com that at least says whether or not it is a good professor, interesting class, etc. I don't know if law professors are on there though...

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have feedback on Collins' local government class?

Anonymous said...

How about a post on the new U.S. News and World Report rankings?

Anonymous said...

its actually ratemyprofessors.com
:)

cadoner said...

Here's a good rule for picking classes: If it sounds boring, it will probably be boring. Double that if its taught by a boring prof.

Anonymous said...

For those concerned with the new U.S. News rankings, a solid article was written in the April 2008 ABA Journal.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/the_rankings_czar/

Anonymous said...

oops-looks like the link didn't paste properly, but you get the idea as to where to find it ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay. So my spring break was great. I didn't get anything done - and it was fun all the same. But come on everyone turn down the stress meters - I had a mild heart attack just talking to my classmates today. Stop telling me how many outlines you have already done!!

Ahhhh. Graduation can't come fast enough.

Anonymous said...

3Ls still outline?

My advice regarding what professors/classes to take: Do not take classes with profs who issue revised syllabi with twice as much reading for classes after Spring Break. Note to profs: if you fall behind during the semester, don't make it up on our backs. Let it go. We will still feel like we got our $$ worth.

Anonymous said...

For real? There are 3Ls outlining during spring break? I haven't brought an outline into an exam since last year. But I have papers and sh** due, so I am stressing mildly at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Forty fucking days.

That is all.

Anonymous said...

Amen. anon. 11:35. I was thinking the exact same thing. I will never understand why some profs think that being behind one day on their "master plan" for the semester is something that warrants assigning twice as much reading. Does the ABA also have a rule on not falling behind on the syllabus?

Anonymous said...

This "blawg" is so dead. The US News rankings have been out officially for five days, CU moved up to its highest ranking in history, and not a word mentioned here?! Way to stay on top of it guys.

Anonymous said...

chill out. we all know about it. we're all presumably pleased- as the school goes up we continue to get the benefits, even once we graduate. i doubt an employer will check what cu was ranked in any certain year.

also, caution. everyone also knows the rankings can be manipulated- i.e. schools sending lots of fee waivers so students who have no chance of admission apply, thus raising the school's selectivity rating. i'd look at http://www.leiterrankings.com/ for a nice explanation of what the schools can manipulate. luckily I haven't heard of CU doing any of this.

Coffinberry said...

Local Government was an excellent class, very foundational, put together ideas from many areas of law (taxation, property & land use, education, tort, etc.). Collins wrote his own textbook, so it's very up-to-date. Also very Colorado specific, though. If you think that there is any chance at all of you practicing law at any sort of state or local government level (including schools, school boards, towns, counties, etc.) this is a must-take class. I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

thanks,coffinberry

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that Collins flat-out rocks.

Anonymous said...

I love Collins! I would also recommend any class by Bruff and Huntington. Professor Garry is cool too. They are all tough - but fair.

Anonymous said...

Can those of you who smoke please not smoke right outside the entrance so that those of us who want to avoid your dirty little habit can do so?

Anonymous said...

Don't start the smoking debate again. I'm a nonsmoker - but lay off. Hold your breath for the two seconds it takes you to walk outside.

Anonymous said...

Disagree about Huntington. Staircase grader. And she likes randomly assigned group projects, so you don't really control your own destiny.

Anonymous said...

Garry assigns way too much reading. She is awesome as a person, but I cannot recommend her classes. I was bored out of my head, and I was busified out of my brain. But maybe that was just me. . .

cadoner said...

Best prof in the history of the world of law school: Hill.

If you disagree you are wrong.

Anonymous said...

Can I get an amen?!

Anonymous said...

The best of David Hill(?)
http://cublawg.blogspot.com/2007/02/david-hill-revisited.html

The 1Ls never got to see that posting.

Anonymous said...

If she's still here, don't take barnes.

Anonymous said...

Scott Moss is great!

Anonymous said...

Those Hill quotes made me choke on my own spit from laughter. Is there a way to bring him back?

Anonymous said...

RB is a visiting prof. from UConn. She won't be here next year.

Anonymous said...

THANK GOODNESS

Anonymous said...

I really like Norton. Hope she's teaching 2L/3L classes next year.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope something mildly interesting/scandalous happens at the talent show tonight. Doubt it but who knows...

Anonymous said...

You mean like a certain prof doing keg-stands and being carried out of the place?

Anonymous said...

or like some random original song referencing all kinds of characters at the law school...

Anonymous said...

I second this: if it sounds boring, it's probably boring. And I'll add this: if it sounds interesting, it's probably boring. What's more important is whether the prof is a good teacher, because a bad teacher can make interesting material boring, and a good teacher can make boring material tolerable.

Anonymous said...

Talent show = two thumbs up. It might have been the best one of my three years.

Anonymous said...

I agree with anon. 11:13. You cannot gauge the course based on the topic alone. Look at the prof. and make your decision from there. I have taken several courses that I thought would be great because of the topic only to be burned by a boring professor. The opposite is also true: the best example are P-Lo's classes, which, b/c of the topics, I thought I would hate but ended up loving.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only person who thought the talent show was not all that exciting?

Anonymous said...

I think the talent show was great although I think last year was better. I didn't go first year but heard it was fantastic. I think that if you don't know the performers it may not be all that exciting. Some of the students that had classmates up there singing and playing instruments really got into it because their friends were involved. Also, last year there was more of a variety of stuff going on and this year it was all singing interspersed with slide shows and jokes, some of which were funny, especially if you knew the people being talked about! But the variety last year was very entertaining. Finally, this is the first year tickets have been $20 so maybe expectations were too high based on what you paid.

Anonymous said...

The talent show this year was nice, and all of those musicians are definitely talented -- but it was still nothing compared to last year. No hype, no chaos.

What was missing? the "ensuing stampede" trying to enter Flemming, rushing/pushing classmates out of the way to find suitable seats, professors and beer bongs in the hallway, gatherings in the parking lot, leather pants, and hell ... I was even yearning for more Karate/Marshall Arts skits?

Maybe its just the current student body ~ but I but I hope this doesn't signal the end of an era.

Anonymous said...

good to know I didn't miss much.

Anonymous said...

Yeah you didnt miss much except supporting a great scholarship and fun with your classmates.
I hope studying was good for you Friday night.

Anonymous said...

Although it seems that some thought last year's show was better I find that kind of shocking. By the end of last year's show there were maybe 20 people in the audience. The first act was so boring that everyone left before or at intermission last year.

By contrast, at the end of the show this year there were at least 75-100 people in and around the courtroom. Not to mention the audience was much more engaged this year than in previous years.

It's true that this year's show did not have as much diverse talent but the talent show 3 years ago only had musical acts also.

Last year was the anomoly and didn't go so well because the stage couldn't really handly martial arts. For future classes- if you want martial arts and more non-music- spend the money and rent the Boulder Theater. it won't work on the rental stage that we use in Fleming.

Word.
Several non-musical acts signed up and then dropped out the week of the show.

I personally thought this year was the best of the 3 years. Last year was terrible. the first act had so much boring shit that I could barely stand to watch it. Recall the march to Certiorari or whatever that act was called.

Anonymous said...

what a surprise...you (faz) are the organizer of this years show and also think that it was the best ever...

Anonymous said...

I organized last year's show too and didn't think it was very good. Is that surprising?

Anonymous said...

I have only been here for two years and thought both shows were great. I think Faz did an excellent job both years. It might just be me though, but I think that the musical talent is much more entertaining than a karate demonstration.

What did everyone think of international beer day?

(Note: a new thread may be a good idea)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, generally music is more entertaining than martial arts but not when the demonstration is being done by a RIDICULOUSLY good looking person!

And although some found it boring, I liked that certain professors and students got involved and did "different" types of things last year. I think the show should be for everyone and not just crazy drunk people who want to go nuts! (although I enjoy that aspect as well)

This year I was glad to hear more of RP as I hear she ROCKED first year and that is my single biggest regret of law school was not going to that show! and the whole house band was FABULOUS. Is it true there is no Fox party this year for graduation? I was really hoping that the house band would play that!

No matter what, kudos to the organizers of the show. They do what they can with the acts that sign up (and drop out), in addition to bringing their own AMAZING talents to the show!

Anonymous said...

oh, and I think that IBD was better because they didn't try to pour samples into small glasses this year like they did last year. Plus, there was no shortage of beer this year at the show! Thanks to CJIELP for that!

Anonymous said...

I think that the martial arts show was hte best part of last year's show- a hell of a lot better htan hearing a terrible voice sing a terrible song just so that everyone could watch someone prance around in short shorts. While this year's show was definitely good, I think that variety is important, and I really just felt like I kept seeing all of the same people at this one, and no single act or acts really stood out in my mind. Regardless, you can never suit everyone and at least a lot of people came and enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

i really hope that the post by 'talent show recap' above was actually written by TG....if not, seek help, because you are PATHETIC

Anonymous said...

5:00 Anon was not TG. I think YOU are PATHETIC. Who says that?

Anonymous said...

is it time for someone to start the obligatory debate on the pro's and con's of anonymous posting??

Anonymous said...

I thought that the short shorts of last year's show was the best part.

Anonymous said...

J.A rocks my world!

Anonymous said...

I realize that I'm totally changing the subject here, but...

Even though I'm an apathetic 3L and won't be using the privilege, I think it's great that we're getting 24 hour building access during finals and would like to thank the people who made that possible.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the short shorts comment.

mcfrenchie said...

Short shorts were awesome! Just freaking funny! The talent show was good...both last year and this one, but the short shorts last year were definitely memorable.

Anonymous said...

What's up with all the vandalism in the Law school???!?!?! (west stairwell, women's bathroom, library tables) People really disappoint me sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I finally finished my bar app. Bask in my awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

Maybe a dumb question - but for the Bar App - how does the online app work? Do we fill out the online and then mail the supplemental stuff? Or do we fill it out online then print it and send it?

Also, can we handwrite the form that goes to Cindy?

Thanks!

mcfrenchie said...

You file sections I, II, and III online. Then you print any explanation sheets you need to provide and all of the supplemental materials required. Some of the supplemental materials need to be notarized. Plus, you need the driving record. All of these, you either mail or drop off. If you drop them off, make sure to have an extra copy of your bar exam cover page so they can put their date and stamp on it. If you mail it, get receipt confirmation. As to the form for Cindy, handwriting seems fine, but I may be wrong.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget your $600 check!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what time graduation is on the 10th? Do we have parking planned?

Anonymous said...

Hey is there a post-graduation party so we can rock with the graduates?