Thursday, October 04, 2007

Congrats!

Kudos to the new crop of CU lawyers. You all rock.

19 comments:

mrmeatsir said...

My question is, at what point does DU's over-all bar passage rate (66%) make it a liability for law-firms to hire a DU grad, versus CU's overall bar passage rate (92%)???

If I am on the hiring committee of a major law firm, am I going to take a chance at hiring a summer associate from DU and paying them $20k -$30k over the summer, when there is a 1/3 chance I am never going to get a return on my investment? NO. I'm going to hire a CU grad who, even if they are in the bottom half of the class, is at least going to pass the bar exam.

mrmeatsir said...

Excuse me, 91% overall bar passage rate for CU grads. My apologies for my unfair comparison between DU and CU.

Anonymous said...

Congrats you guys!!! You make us all look good. Also, DU's pass rate has improved.

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!

Unknown said...

mrmeatsir: the 34% of DU grads that won't pass the bar are not likely to get biglaw summer jobs..

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, DU does a much better job of networking than we do. Despite their generally poorer credentials entering law school and low bar passage rate, they end up with jobs. It's an endless source of frustration for me because I'm ranked. I can't stand it when firms hire DU grads. And yes, I have been looking for a job.

Congrats to everyone who passed.

mrmeatsir said...

BigLaw jobs aside (and superior networking aside) -- why would ANY firm hire a DU grad versus a similarly qualified CU grad. Statistically it makes no sense.

Obviously being a CU law student, I am biased, but it just kind of baffles me.

Anonymous said...

MMsir, maybe they're not hiring you and CU grads like you due to your appalling pomposity...

Anonymous said...

meat,

DU has more students, so their top 10% is more people than your top 10%. Also, 50% of attorneys in CO are DU graduates, and people tend to protect their own. If you had the choice of hiring a top 10% CU grad or top 10% DU grad, you would probably hire the CU grad. It works the same way with DU lawyers and students, as they know the minimal difference between law school students as a whole and those in the top their classes at any university. It is not "baffling," but common sense. My advice to you is to network your butt off so people get to know you and your personality and strengths. That is what I had to do. Good Luck! A Practicing CU grad

Anonymous said...

The whole purpose of an interview is to get to know the person that you are considering hiring on a personal basis. Many of the top students in my class are incredibly socially awkward, and that surely has an impact on every employer's decision.

Anonymous said...

I find the CU v. DU thing kinda sad. Give it a rest!

I say congrats to CU students getting jobs and congrats to DU students getting jobs.

Maybe if CU students weren't such snobs -- we would come off better when we network with DU & CU alumns.

cadoner said...

Good luck with those 90 hour work weeks.

Anonymous said...

Yeah 90 hour work weeks!!

Anonymous said...

On a totally different topic, a thought popped into my head as I perused the CU "students of color" brochure exalting every accomplishment that seemingly every "person of color" (an odd term in my opinion) had ever accomplished at CU. Didn't MLK have a dream that his children would be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character? Shouldn't those accomplishment simply be listed somewhere simply by the person's name? Are they not valid or commendable if the person is not also identified as a "student of color?" Just a thought I guess.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,94275.0.html

Any takers?

Anonymous said...

Dude -- OConnor was at DU -- how come no one told us!!

Anonymous said...

anon at 11:29, grow up. you sound like a college freshman.

Anonymous said...

What a witty and insightful response anon at 9:20. You clearly come from the republican school of argument, i.e., attack the messenger so you can ignore the message.