Friday, July 06, 2007

Bar Thoughts

A couple of thoughts on the Bar Exam:

  • Taking both Real Estate Transactions and Criminal Procedure - Investigative Phase was a blessing in disguise. I imagine that my life will be a little easier because I took Secured Transactions this past spring. If I was a rising 3L, I'd consider taking some classes for the Bar; its not like you're going to really learn anything you'll use in practice anyway.
  • I'm not too scared about the multiple choice questions (MBE) but the essays frighten me. We still have 2.5 weeks to cram all the nitty gritty, though.
  • I was talking to a former law professor at DU a couple days ago and he said he thinks the reason DU does so poorly on the Bar is b/c they're so focused on practical experience (as opposed to "thinking like a lawyer.") I can't imagine they do that much worse on the MBE, but may struggle in applying facts in the question to the law in essay questions.
  • From what I understand, the atmosphere around DU is pretty intense right now. Meanwhile, things are relatively chill here in Boulder.
  • I'm still having nightmares about that Agency lecturer. Homey was a total wingnut. Wow.
  • Keep on truckin' and we'll be all good. Remember, we pass at 90+%! Don't freak out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bar exam = so horrible

Mushroom Stamp said...

Boulder Law, I'm just wondering, when you spoke to that DU professor, had word of your lameness spread to him (at DU)?

Seriously though, good luck. I wouldn't worry too much - you only need like a C to pass.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Actually, he was a little out of the loop so he hadn't heard about me yet. :-)

The passing threshold is only a faint comfort. It's like first-year all over again. We don't know how much work we need to do in order to pass, nor do we know what the hell we're doing. Everyone keeps tabs on what others are doing and freaks out, not b/c they don't know anything, but b/c they feel like others are doing more work.

All in all, however, it's not too bad. The hardest part is staying positive about it, and not feeling like the most boring human being on earth.

notjustlaw said...

BL: Simply doing some outlines of the essays provides new confidence. You see how many points you can get just by putting down whatever you can remember on the subject (even if it is very little).

Although the agency prof was insane, he certainly made his topic easy... Now Family Law is another issue.