Thursday, May 24, 2007

What, Mens Rea?


I thought this comment from mimiwesson warranted starting a new thread. I hope you don't mind MW:

"I'd like to post something witty and interesting, but I am supposed to be grading exams (wait, no, don't get me wrong-- I AM grading exams!) and I dare not tarry long to fool around on a blog-- certainly not on this blog, with everyone's gimlet eyes glued to the Grade Status Board. Except to ask this: is it true, as I have been told, that people cried leaving my Criminal Law exam? ("Big ole guys, even," my informant said solemnly.) Oh no!! Really, this was not what I intended. And so far (I'm grading the last question now) folks have done pretty well. What was the problem? Reading those novella-length questions?"

84 comments:

Rice Eater said...

Long questions are awful, but I think long answers are worse. For example, the Copyright exam I took this spring had 3 questions, and I didn't complete a single one.

I also think too much of essay exams come down to style and speed. I think multiple choice exams are the best for objectively measuring one's knowledge. I think mc exams should be like some standardized tests that penalize for wrong answers to discourage guessing.

I still don't know how to take a law school exam.

Anonymous said...

I heard about the cryers but there were none in my room, as far as I could tell. As far as what made the exam tough . . . I think a lot of us read it and had no idea what to write. I know I left the exam feeling much much much worse than any other exam I have ever taken, and that was the general consensus amongst those I talked to afterward.

Anonymous said...

I think the secret to a good exam question is in the call of the question. You can have a two page novella (see scxtt pxppxt), but if the question is focused, than it is manageable. If the question is something like "What factors and case law would a judge apply in making his decision?" or "List all the possible arguments of the D and P?" than it is really difficult to know where to start. If the question is "Describe the causes of action P1 or P2 may bring, and the merits of each," then the student has a good starting point, and it weeds out people that talk about D or the judge, or whatever. I personally get As and B+s in classes with the second type of questions and B-s, C+s in classes with the first type of question because I don't know where to start and manange my time for 3 hours, even if I outline for 1/2 of the time.

cadoner said...

One-Ls cry about everything.

mrmeatsir said...

There were criers. This is true.
It was by far the most difficult exam I've ever taken.

Cadoner...grow up...

Anonymous said...

I only heard of one person who cried, and this person is known for crying more easily than others. As for 1L criers, you might want to take up that point with TG. I bet he doesn't cry very much.

cadoner said...

It's like I'm in a strange dimension where no one recognizes a joke...

mimiwesson said...

Don't know who TG is, but I am sorry that so many found this exam so painful to take. I have just finished the grading and sent the unadjusted scores to Cindy, and can say this much: many of you did very well. I graded against a theoretical possibility of 60 raw score points-- 20 per question. A 60 would thus have been a *perfect* paper. There were two 55's, and 7 papers in the 50's; the median was 44. I thought that was damn good, and was very impressed by how much you learned. I'll be making model answers and your answers available for you to examine next week. But the performance I saw in your papers is curiously difficult to reconcile with the apparently widespread perception of the exam's difficulty. Maybe I think you're smarter than you think yourselves. Anyway, enjoy the weekend!

Scott Turner said...

Wow, two 55s out of 60? That is an impressive toss down the stairs. Have you been working out? Just kidding.

Now I am nervous that the 1Ls are sort of smart. They better not hurt the curve for us 2Ls next year, especially since we are dumber than the just-graduated 3Ls.

memphis minnie said...

I didn't take the Wesson exam, but heard it was pretty tough. White said his test was very hard, but most students came up with the same lists of claims to be made. Guess we'll see in several days...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure "several days" is optimistic. Grades are due in two days, and it looks like about only 35% of the classes have grades, with about 10% "in process" . . . as they have been for weeks. The Grade Status Board is a good start, but it must be buttressed with: (1) a push from Dean Matthew to make sure professors *actually* submit grades in time (read: sanctions for late professors, and enforcement of the administration’s current rules); (2) more transparency regarding the grading process, including information on what “in process” means, and why everything takes so damn long; and (3) a “Grades Due to Students” date to provide a meaningful benchmark and to force the administration to make things happen. The “Grades Due from Professors” date is inherently squishy, and gives the administration a perfect “passing the buck” excuse; late professors know that other professors will be late, and the administration blames late grades on the dilatory professors . . . a sorry cycle.

My prediction: grades by June 21st.

Anonymous said...

I cried once from a Wesson exam... I think its a rite of passage from CU.



My prediction: grades by June 15
(I'm a little more optimistic...)

Dirty Harry said...

Yes, the exam was hard but I am convinced that some people have yet to learn that this is LAW SCHOOL. Whining about a tough exam at the post-graduate level is absolutely absurd. I can't believe that this is even an issue for some people.

I Beat Dogs said...

I agree with dirty harry, tough exams are a fact of life. I come out of tough exams wanting to punch something.

It's a good thing my dog wasn't around during finals.

Unknown said...

Hey... I'm an incoming 1L, and nothing as petty as an exam will make me cry.

Well... well maybe make me die a little inside, but that is all.

Anonymous said...

It is not so much that the test was difficult, of course the tests will be difficult. What I have issue with is the fact that we asked many questions at the review session that were on the exam. Instead of making sure we all understood, we were told how smart we were for thinking of the questions in the first place. The fact that we were asking demonstrated that we did not clearly grasp the material.

A different Prof (who wrote an exam that I could use to actually demonstrate what I learned in the class) answered every question we asked at the review session in extreme detail and did not stop until she was confident we clearly understood the issue.

(At least Prof Wesson didn't tell us at the review session that the answers were in the book... like a certain torts prof)

One other thing that made the test unusually difficult is the inclusion of facts that might have just been there to help propel the story. It was confusing to have facts that were not important to the analysis.

I was having a personal crisis around the time of this exam so didn't really study properly. So I have no way of knowing if my shit grade was a result of my own whack attack or of the test being totally ridiculous.

Michael A. Smeenk, Esq. said...

[sarcasm]

Waaaahhh! You didn't give us the answers ahead of time. You made us think for ourselves. You put in extraneous information. That's, like, so unfair of you!

[/sarcasm]

welcome to law school

mrmeatsir said...

I don't get the sense that anyone is complaining about the difficulty of the test, merely making an observation.

The Law Messiah said...

whatever...its over and done with...

Anonymous said...

I wasn't actually complaining about that, I was making an observation.

And I was also noting that it was very likely that the reason I did not do well was my own fault.

notjustlaw said...

At least it was a good day for the White Board. Lot's of progress (of course none of my classes), so hopefully grades will be done before the end of June.

Scott Turner said...

HOLY SH*T, look at blawguy's blog. He is from New York, coming here on a full ride, and has already bought commercial outlines. I picture Kyle's cousin Kyle from Connecticut, thank you very much. He will probably be my boss some day.

Anonymous said...

I took the exam, and at the time I did not think it was particularly difficult. In fact, I thought it was one of the easier exams. Grades are back, and I did just fine. Just goes to show.

Anonymous said...

It goes to show that if you pay the teacher to tie a small weight to your test before she tosses it down the big stairs, you will get a better grade...and that you can dazzle 'em with BS!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm predicting a rude awakening for blawguy.

The Law Messiah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I got to stand up for Blawguy. Even reading his blawg, I find nothing objectionable about him, except perhaps the reflection of idealism that we all miss in ourselves after three years of law school. I think we’re all just jealous of a three-year scholarship, and he should be given props for the same. He’ll probably do well school in school because he's probably smart.
In terms of concrete advice, I would warn Blawguy about the jealous, sniping nature of law students, and perhaps warn him off future blawg entries (except anonymously, of course); everyone will know who he is next year, so an "anonymous" blawg may come back to haunt him. The outlines and Examples & Explanations are probably a good idea--I wish I had prepared for school, because class is unintelligible, and you’re only (or, at least mostly), tested on the black letter law anyway. Good luck and Godspeed, Blawguy.

Anonymous said...

Blawguy,
Here is some advice: don't look forward to law school. You will inevitably end up disappointed. The whole experience is nothing like you are imagining. How can I tell that without knowing your thoughts? You said you were looking forward to it, and nobody in their right mind would look forward to this hell.

Unknown said...

I understand that inevitably everybody hates it. I don't see myself any different. I'm 90% sure I will.

But that doesn't make me any less eager for it. I imagine it'll be 3 years of no social life, peer disparagement (as I've noticed here), humiliation, self-defeatism, and loathing of the legal profession itself.

But I'm still looking forward to it.

it's going to be just 3 years in my life. I'm not going to kill myself over it.

I might not even make the cut for being a lawyer. So what? I'll go do something else.

I take your advice graciously, and I'll keep it in mind.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the previous post is pretty bitter. I dont hate law school, I just hate finals, and the arbitrariness of it all. Law school (for most of the semester) provides for ample free time - which beats working 65 hours a week.

Blaw Guy, another thought: return those commercial outlines, they won't help now. Get them once youve figured out what will be best for professor X. Read Getting to Maybe in August at a relaxed pace if you must. Watch the Paper Chase - not for insight into the law, but for insight into some of your classmates, or perhaps yourself. Enjoy your summer and dont sweat law school right now - again, it wont help. And keep writing about your chronicles; you'll be a star when you get here.

Unknown said...

anonymous (10:30): thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your candor... far be it for me to flaunt that scholarship around and make myself look like "hot shit"; I had no intention of insulting or hurting others by mentioning it... I just wished to express my excitement over it... I mean not to offend.

I'm looking at law school as a very dire means to what will hopefully be a happy end. And I understand that as one who has yet to be immersed in that atmosphere I am not qualified to make judgements about what law school will be like...

But right now, I don't want to think about that... I am here to observe and hopefully become a part of the community in some way before I jump in with the rest of the sharks. I want to feel like I have some time left before I'm not a kid any longer.

Unknown said...

anon 10:47... yeah, I see what you mean. I actually got those books on the suggestions from Miller's book on what outlines to buy... and I saw the reviews for them myself before buying them. However, after looking through the syllabi for classes last year (especially Peppet's) I understand that each class has their own little twist that may not be in tune with the outlines I bought. I don't intend to use them until I'm actually in school. But, that's a minor concern really. If I don't wind up using them I'll just pawn them off. No harm, no foul. I just like feeling that I can get some of the book buying out of the way before I shell out the $$$ for the actual casebooks.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with anon 10:47, Blawguy. Delete your blawg. Now. It has plenty of information to identify you, and you don’t want the reputation for being the guy who boasted about his acceptances, scholarships, etc. when you start school. Start with a clean slate.
I also disagree about the outlines. Unless you come from a law background, a lot of the 1L stuff is unintelligible, and a good commercial outline—or Examples & Explanations—would be a great start. It’s not necessary to prepare for school to do well, but your time certainly won’t be wasted; a lot of people “learn” the law in the two weeks before finals by reading these materials, anyway, so reading it now could give you a good idea of what’s going on in class for the first ten weeks. You might even find class helpful.

Unknown said...

Can someone tell me why being anonymous is so important in law school?

Not trying to be snide or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Seems to be living on the edge of a knife to me.

Unknown said...

Nevermind, I removed any 'personally identifiable' info from the page. Now I'm just John Doe, generic law school student as far as anyone knows.

I still don't get the paranoia, really.

At least I didn't go and take naked pictures of myself in Playboy and then go public for my reasons for it. Now... THAT would be a little much. Glad nobody's done that.

cadoner said...

See, it's funny because it really happened. I get it.

Anonymous said...

The problem, from my perspective, is this: the Denver legal community is really small, and you don’t want to do anything that could adversely affect your reputation. Your blawg was fine, but people might believe that you were boasting (although you probably were not), and peg you as an undesirable character from the start. Some readers of this blawg may be interviewing you in a year, and others may be your colleagues for life. In addition, professors read this blawg, too, and may be hard on you if they think (again, based on second-hand information, not the true facts) that you were boasting. Paranoia is good.

Anonymous said...

Also, you may undermine any help 2Ls or 3Ls may give you. For example, someone who knows who you are but doesn't know you may say, "oh that is the douchey 1L that talks about how great he is on his blog (sponge-mind?). Since he is so smart, I won't give him my outline that got me a 97 in Torts." Stick with the fart jokes and you will be okay, eastside.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I don't believe I made a single fart joke, but okay. I'll keep that in mind.

The 'brain like a sponge' comment was to reflect why I didn't take notes in college, and how that may adversely affect me in Law School where that kind of passiveness wouldn't get me anywhere. It comes to my detriment.

Also, really... if people are THAT insecure about themselves that they won't offer help to their fellow man because of rather fickle reasons... well, that's not a situation that I'd want to bother others for their time/guidance, is it?

Anonymous said...

I envision Blawguy being very successful in his career.

How do incoming 1L's find out about this place, anyways?

I love law school. Anyone who doesn't should go to work for five years or so in an office. Trust me on this one: law school beats the hell out of working.

Unknown said...

anon 12:16 - thanks for the vote of confidence; however I think if I don't work as hard as anyone else I won't be close to any type of success... it's all relative.

As far as CU Law's perception goes... as someone from back East who heard about its reputation, it's obviously very solid. The jump to #36, the new law building, and overall 'good vibes' coming from Boulder seemed very appealing to me to say the least. I also wanted to go to law school where the competition, while still lively and intense, wasn't as cutthroat and forbidding as some of the other T1 schools are. As I understand it, CU has a reputation of being a bit more laid back, and while I don't expect it to be a walk in the park by any means, I suspect it won't be as awful as some of the Northeastern schools are and where I've heard more than my share of horror stories from. The market here is also oversaturated so finding a job isn't really guaranteed unless you're in the top 15% here either.

Anonymous said...

Hate to burst your bubble blawguy, but CO market is also oversaturated. You have to fight to find a job (or like the rest of life, have connections) if you're bottom 2/3.

cadoner said...

Bottom 2/3 fo lyfe.

I don't need some blog to ruin my chances at a job. I can do that on my own. Besides, I really think you all are inflating the importance of this blog.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if blawguy will still think law school exams are petty come December. Sure, we all wish we didn't care about them so much, but especially the first year, that's all you've got.

Rice Eater said...

Due to the overwhelming comments regarding blawguy, I think we all might do well to read this list of what it means to be a gunner.

Blawguy, don't be a gunner!

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ with the good intentions from blawg guy's blog. I would hardly count posting on his facebook the same exact posts and creating the facebook group for the class of 2010 be wholly intended for for private purposes. Additionally, is the comment about graduating college in 3 years necessary? And right... he's from New York... from a SUNY school.. sooo damn impressive.

I think blawg guy is in for a rude awakening. You may have thought you were special before, but welcome to law school - where your prior "achievements" mean jack.

as for wesson's exam - it was difficult. but apparently the curve evened it out anyway.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm a rising 3L, and I have to say that comments about "gunners" always amuse me. Seems like that label is attached to anyone who takes a genuine interest in a subject, talks to professors once in awhile instead of merely talking about them, asks and answers questions in class, and at the end of the semester actually knows something about what was taught in class. There is nothing wrong with these things, although you'll inevitably be labeled as a gunner if you do these things.

This is not to say that true "gunners" don't exist. They're the ones who don't just talk to professors, but schmooze. The ones who speak in class for the specific purposes of (1) hearing themselves talk and (2) trying to show everyone how smart they are. I dislike these people as much as anyone else.

Sounds to me like blawguy fits in the first camp. Good for him.

Anonymous said...

Paste a link to his facebook profile. I want to see if he looks like Kyle's cousin Kyle. He has to.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As far as 'being a gunner' goes- I'm not at all in the mood to volunteer myself in front of the guillotine. I've never been like that. I'll volunteer an answer if I'm 100% sure I know it, otherwise I'll let the professor make his rounds.

Christ almighty, some of you people are so insecure with yourselves that it seems like your only outlet is to dump on other people.

That's sad. It's even more sad that I not once indicated that I'd do better than anyone else. The fact that you negative people bring up my so-called "accomplishments" and compare me to Kyle's cousin just reflects your own insecurity.

How about you go and become a great lawyer and have a great life? Maybe that should take priority? Or do you really believe that life is better left wasted by dumping on others?

Anonymous said...

this is a pretty sad display here. attacking an incoming 1L. and for what? imagining shortcomings which may or may not exist. congrats for your success. i hope you enjoy CU, i did (mostly). and try not to be a true gunner (there are only a few in each class & i'm sure they know who they are).

Anonymous said...

I thought we didn't write people's names on the blog? Someone should delete anon 6:57.

I also think that jumping all over a new 1L because he may be a little too over zealous is petty. And it makes our school look bad.

Instead we should welcome the class of 2010, and let its members know that in law school, discussing grades and/or scholarships is taboo (or at least should only be done with good friends).

Unknown said...

Thank you.

I'm fairly sure that those hecklers don't represent CU at all, I like thinking positively about the community I'm about to enter and I look forward to being a part of it.

And yes, I'll try my best not to be a gunner. I'm sure I really won't.

Anonymous said...

A few observations:

1)lay off the incoming 1L; he will face reality soon enough. No need to drag him down and rain on his unbridled enthusiasm.

2)Law school grading is THE most arbitrary thing I have ever been a part of in my life, and that is saying something.

3)Based on my grades it seems I have regressed as an intellectual being this year. Boooo evil grades. Hooray Beer!

Anonymous said...

blawguy - 95% of the school is great, supportive, fun, cool people.

the other 5% are the most active ones on the blawg.

i read it for entertainment, but worry that sometimes people will show up and say "wow, that's what CU students think? that's how they act?"

don't worry, most of us are a little more laid back.

Anonymous said...

blawguy, chill. I think you are overeacting a little. People are trying to get a rise out of you, and it is working spectacularly. Just ignore them. How 'bout them Rockies?

Anonymous said...

blawguy - get a life. stop posting all over the blog. stop reading law school syllabi. enjoy NOT being in law school. its your last chance to have a life for 3 years, enjoy it. and your second (2nd) overseas vacation this year.

Anonymous said...

It's slightly off-topic, but apropos of lawyers (and law students) behaving badly, the TB patient who imperiled planeloads of victims by flying after being advised not to turned out to be a lawyer . . . He said he had been "advised" not to fly, but not forbidden . . . a perfectly lawyerly excuse for risking other peoples' lives.

Dirty Harry said...

I don't care to get involved in the quibble over whether Blawguy is arrogant, a potential gunner, or just really interested in law, but I would add that he WOULD impress me if he has the intelligence (that all of us lacked) to stay away from law school. Those jobs I had before starting law school seem so much better in retrospect!

Anonymous said...

Blawguy -

Welcome to CU Law! I've not read your blog, don't know your name, but enjoy your spunkiness & cheek, and hope you don't lose that nor it harms you in the coming 3 years (both of which could happen, regardless of the school you'd attend). I'm a 3L and here's my take on law school, and the pros/cons of standing out as other posters imply you might be doing via your blog, etc.

While the goals of law school are to learn something about law, hone your analytic skills, and position yourself for the kind of job/career track you want, I think the negatives result from the psychological petri dish all this takes place in. I've had a generally positive experience so far, but made some deliberate choices to enjoy the good and endure the bad.

Some of the factors that can distort normal group functioning and individual mental health include:

- pressure of workload/all-or-nothing-exams/securing the coveted on-campus interviews

- inherent competitiveness (at some level) of nearly all students who self-select for law school/profession

- insecurities that sometimes result from (or motivate) academic (over)achievement

- the subtle, trapped feeling of locking ourselves into this program and social group for 3 years.

I think this is a generic description of law school. And I do suspect that CU is a less cut-throat, more relaxed place to be compared to other schools that attract the same caliber students.

But I think the law school environment is somewhat abnormal and each person reacts differently to it, but somewhat sadly, tend to conform to a lawyerly bent by the time they graduate. That first semester 1L year, some puff-up and pontificate and while others cower but ace the exams. Some drink to excess and create an unfavorable rep, while some never socialize and create no rep at all. Some dwell on the misery while others appear oblivious, yet both get the same grades. In otherwords there is huge amount of variation in the reaction, and like most things, it is subject almost completely to your free will choices on how you approach it, but do expect some type of reaction from yourself and those around you.

So, if the question presented is 'does a blog that describes your achievements have an adverse effect on your law school career?' the classic law school answer, is of course, 'it depends'. Use your common sense, but as you may have already figured out from these postings, the law school environment (and profession) is conservative by nature, in the traditional sense: avoid sticking out, play it safe, keep to the social norm, etc etc.

And trust that if you are genuine and consistent in how you interact with people, that will ultimately be noticed and appreciated. And if you are pompous and cagey, that will too be will be noted and remembered down the road.

I got a couple of outlines in the summer, but I didn't find it useful...I concur with suggestion to relax, do stuff & read some books you might otherwise be distracted/tempted by during the fall, and jump into the experience in August and do your best to have fun.

Anonymous said...

Blawguy - you should really listen to dirty harry. You obviously have really good qualifications now. You should only go to law school if you really really really want to be a lawyer and know fully what that entails. Because law school really sucks and being a lawyer is nothing like what's on TV.

If you want to go to law school to change the world, then forget it. You won't care about anything but your grades in a year. If you are just looking for the big paycheck, then welcome aboard.

Anonymous said...

Speak for yourself anon 7:27. I hated the first year of law school, but there is a way to get through it so that you still care about more than your grades, and lawyers can make a pretty huge impact in people's lives. Keep focused on the reason that you came and don't get rid of your outside social life -- make it a point to keep talking to non-law student friends and to stay involved in things you enjoyed before law school. It's a rare experience in law school that you'll feel confident that you know something, so keeping up the things you know how to do now is really important to your sanity. Enjoy your summer and stop worrying or even thinking about law school.

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your suggestions. They're very appreciated. On that advice, I'm going to stay away from stuff law-school related for the time being. I'll jump back into it when I'm back, relaxed, and ready to let myself get trapped.

I can see how it's a huge commitment, but it's one I've chosen to make, bad or worse. I'm sure most people who come out of the slaughterhouse feel the same way. At least I hope they do...

Mushroom Stamp said...

Blawguy - I can only tell you one thing: If I figure out who you are I am going to stamp the shit out of you when I find you. Be warned.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Coffinberry said...

Blawguy,
I just deleted a comment of yours that was over the top. Please, keep it cleaner than that. This isn't xoxo.

Sincerely,

Coffinberry

Anonymous said...

FYI - xoxo means hugs and kisses. I hope you meant xxx, because xoxo would just be weird ;-)

Anonymous said...

FYI- "xoxo" is a type of blog format and is usually used in reference to the autoadmit blog.

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

the site coffinberry is referring to is www.xoxohth.com - as in, hugs and kisses x 2, hope this helps.

The threads on that site provide a forum for people to discuss a ton of law school related issues. Some people post there trying to boost the prestige of their respective law school (trolls), others are thoughtful and helpful, and a bunch are racist/sexist/nasty comments trying to stoke a fire. It is all anonymous, and the site has gotten a reputation for epitomizing everything that I for one hates about the hype associated with law school - there was an article in the NYT a year or so ago that I dont feel like looking up. I used to post there - there are a lot of assholes trolling to verbally bash one another. I mention it because this blawg is also currently anonymous. We have been less than cordial as of late: xoxo is one reason perhaps why this blawg should require a login. I dont know why, but it has the effect of reducing flames and inappropriate comments.

PS - blawguy, in avoiding all things law school, this blawg should probably be included in your list. pretend it all never happened.

Mushroom Stamp said...

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Law school is the last three years for a long time (perhaps the rest of your life) that you don't have to take yourself seriously. If we take anon posting off, I also suggest that we address everyone with proper salutations as well. You know, to keep it professional.

Sincerely,
Mushroom Stamp, Esq.

Anonymous said...

A callous approach to your reputation in law school will follow you forever. And if you graduate from a Colorado law school and practice in Colorado, your reputation in law school becomes that much more important, given the size and connectedness of the Colorado bar.

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

Ok, fine...

Dear Mr. Mushroom Stamp,

The previous post was a total non sequitur.Proper salutations? That's retarded, even as a lame attempt at a joke.

Taking yourself seriously in law school, or not, has no connection with anonymous posting on this blawg.

The point with disallowing totally anonymous posting isnt formalism or that people are taking themselves too seriously during our carefree days of law school. Have fun being carefree in law schoo - but this blawg reflects on CU Law, the faculty, administration, etc. It sets a shitty tone for incoming 1Ls who dont know anything about CU Law.

Mr. Mushroom Stamp, I guess my point is that if you (or your colleagues) want to be a douche, or if you just cant help yourself from being a douche, go post on xoxo.

Prince

Scott Turner said...

You really think someone who was going to go to CU Law will read this blog and think, "Hmmm... These people seem callous and uncivil. I will take my tuition money and go elsewhere." Do you seriously think an employer would look at this blog and go, "Hmmm... Jimmy has 3.3, was on the Environmental Journal, has three strong references. But I heard that he may have possibly contributed to a law school blog that I find uncouth and coarse. Jimmy shall not be hired." Your last post, lawstudentformerlyknownas, is retarded. You are criticizing anonymous comments based on someone who logs in with an ID?? Someone change the topic, for the love of God. This blog is not important outside of the law school community, unless people are outed and identified, which the admins have done a fantastic job of preventing. Yeah, the admin looks at it, and it is good if it can change anything. If you don't like a topic, ask the blog admins to post something new. In the words of great legal scholar Coolio, if you can't take the heat, get yo ass out the kitchen.

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

Caveman, you're misconstruing my point. I'm not crying about my feelings being hurt and I don't think some admit will avoid CU or an employer choose not to hire us. Very simply, I just dont think it makes us look good - and yes, the administrators do a good job. Recall the admins ending anon posting before finals because the content was getting to be too much. That said, for some reason, the minimal effort it takes for bloggers to enter a password before submitting comments tends to tone it down.

Anonymous said...

"[T]he minimal effort it takes for bloggers to enter a password before submitting comments tends to tone it down."

I don't think so - it toned down interest - there were just less comments and the ones that were made were weak and dumb. Look, for example, at this thread - I am now the 81st commenter. Sure, some of the stuff on here and the other thread above are between that MS idiot, and Hakim (also, an idiot) - I think that the other comments were both interesting, funny, and productive. There are just too many people here that need to get over their diaper rash and quit worrying about who is offended. Unless it is them, i.e., Hakim - in which case they need to get over it - I mean seriously - get over yourself.

Anonymous said...

The Hakim haters should shut it. HS f-ed up from time to time, but he's a good guy, and he's contributed hella better stuff than you douche-bags hiding behind anonymous IDs. Prince is right--find some other place to comment if you can't keep from being such a raging, hater f%&%.

Anonymous said...

Unsolicited advice to the new cublawg administrators: whenever a topic has played itself out (such as now), please post a new topic so we can all leave the ugliness behind.

Anonymous said...

wow this thread is hilarious. i don't know who's more pathetic: blawguy (for trying to defend himself while being completely clueless) or the anonymous hypocrite (who used the word "hella" defending HS). oh wait, i take that back--it's the latter. whoever you are, you should know better than to expect anything other than contempt and/or self-absorption to emanate from this blog. the other guy simply hasn't had the opportunity to learn the same lesson. let's just all hope that MS comes back next year, a la DMcD, and tells this kid to shut the hell up at the talent show if he does indeed turn out to be the O in gunner bingo. chalupa says what, biznitches.