It always goes like this at the end of spring. (Check the archives). Believe it or not, this is the third spring for the good ol' blawg.
So, let's see, what shall we talk about?
I went on a field trip with the seventh grade yesterday to the Denver Museum of Science and Natural History. (Herding cats, I tell you. Herding cats.) We saw the IMAX film "Hurricane on the Bayou," which probably should have been required watching for the Environmental Justice conference last semester.
What have you been up to?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
I'd like to celebrate the return of anonymous comments by saying balls. Big hairy balls.
Awesome.
PMBR went well...as well as 18 hours of DVD lectures can go. Looking forward to house shopping with the family this week, hitting the New Belgium Brewery and the Bolder Boulder.
Hey, does anyone have thoughts/information on the new Grade Status Board? Why do some classes remain yellow for weeks, while others fly through?
I like the board--none of my classes have been submitted, but it gives a degree of transparency that was lacking in our earlier system; we now know that SOME professors are getting grades in, even if not our specific professors.
My guess is that the classes that stay "in process" for a long time have issues with the grade distribution--the median of the grades submitted by the prof is either higher or lower than what the administration wants (whether it's the 84 median in classes where that's required, or the informal [but apparently vigorously enforced] 88 median in other classes). Then there is some kind of wrangling between the prof and a dean before the grades are finalized.
Bar Bri in Seattle started today. It blows. I have to be the loner in the back. No buddies to complain to about how horrible this whole process is. This is going to be a long summer. UG.
Anon 10:51--that was my guess, too, re: grades that remain "in process" for long periods of time. Still, it's somewhat mystifying--why would this "wrangling" take weeks? Who's holding up the process? Are the professors being intransigent and holding out for higher grades (which we all deserve :), or is Dean Matthew just amassing a huge "to do" list on her desk, and not contacting the professors about the grade distributions? The Grade Status Board has gone a long way toward increasing transparency, but I still don't know how the grading process works. (Plus, if professors are persuaded to lower grades after their initial submissions, doesn't that kind of defeat the notion that grades are rationally related to performance? How would professors decide which grades to lower? It seems pretty arbitrary).
I've actually been able to do some recreational reading. Feels good to not have to analyze it and just be able to enjoy the story. Other than that, I've been doing a whole lot of nothing.
Road trip, and now summer job. Blech.
What? Grades? Arbitrary? It cannot be.
As for the White Board, I am seriously enjoying all of the classes AROUND mine turning green. It looks like the white board is taunting me. . .
Also, I just took sincere pleasure in the Celtics falling out of the top 2 of the NBA draft lottery.
I like the grade status board. Now rather than compulsively checking CUConnect, I compusively check the Whiteboard.
On another note, I received an email from FinAid saying that I was no longer elligble for Financial Aid because I "have failed to meet Reasonable Academic Progress standards." Apparently I didn't complete enough classes to continue to receive aid. It might have something to do with the 4 grades that have yet to be posted...
Hiking, pretending to work, going to the park. I'm so glad I'm not in school anymore.
Mr. Meat--are you going to call financial aid? I got the same email and was deciding whether to actually acknowledge it or just wait for the glitch to get worked out.
Check your e-mail. This is a glitch.
Where did the sun go? I have all this free time now... and the storm clouds have moved in:(
The glitch has apparently been working out. I sent an email right after I saw the message from FinAid. Apparently I wasn't alone. If there's one thing that makes lawyers mad its threatening to take away their money.
Yes, novella length questions = bad. But so do multiple choice. And short answer. And statutory questions. I am probably not the person to answer this.
FYI-I've taken mimiwesson's comment and started a new thread.
Post a Comment