Friday, April 27, 2007

Security is Poo-Poohed by Library Administration...


Today a 1L's laptop was stolen from the library. It contained all of his outlines and class notes. I am confident that the perp was not a law student. Indeed, this cries for a comprehensive review of library security and policies. Thieves, cell phones, homeless people, and disrepectful undergraduate students. Shouldn't we demand stronger enforcement from our library administration? Comments?

25 comments:

memphis minnie said...

bullshit! that's terrible. there goes my personal policy of leaving my crap all over the building.

I hope that this 1L backed up all the data sometime recently.

On that note, I will take care of that business for myself...

Rice Eater said...

I hope that 1L at least had everything backed up on a thumb drive. If not, there are plenty of outlines on the "SBA Test Bank" bank on TWEN (thanks to prez AZ for initiating that).

I think in addition to complaining to the library admins, we just need to watch each others' backs. Sit close to a friend and ask them to keep an eye on your stuff if you step away for a moment. Good luck to that unfortunate 1L.

mcfrenchie said...

What awful news...and could it be at a worse time??? It is infuriating that this can happen. I left my bag basically unattended in the cafe yesterday for probably half an hour- bad idea, as it turns out! The thing is that we leave our stuff around because we know each other and whether we like everyone or not, we trust that our law students wouldn't do something like that. I also believe that it was not a law student and I wish more was done by the administration to protect our rights...our rights over our personal belongings and our right to study in peace in the LAW library!

BlawBlawBlaw said...

That's terrible. Poor little 1L. As if it's not stressful enough just being a 1L right before finals. I'm sure he will be inundated with help, though. And there are still 2 full study days left until that first final-- an eternity, really. Trust me young 1L, if you've gone to most of your classes you should be fine with some makeshift outlines. And Ramsey at least will let you take anything into the exam, even commercial outlines.

cublawg said...

Rice, I have a somewhat different idea...

Vive, if you would tell us what professors said 1L has, and for which classes, I'll relay outlines sent to cublawg@gmail.com, and I'll also keep everyone's stuff anonymous. And Vive, just let me know who the victim was by sending an email to the same address.

vive_la_reve2 said...

Update: If you have a good outline for 1L spring courses (Ramsey-Crim Law; Mueller-Civ Pro; Bruff-Con Law; Campos-Property),

please consider sending it to

cublawg@gmail.com

cublawg said...

Nevermind.;-) RK's got it...

cublawg said...

...but I'll still filter if anyone's got anything to share.

Scott Turner said...

Totally off topic, but I am a little outraged by this article. They arrested this kid? wtf? ACLU, get those Apples churning.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/27/student.essay.arrest.ap/index.html

cadoner said...

As bad as I feel for this 1L, maybe you shouldn't leave your stuff unattended, especially valuable electronics.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

cadoner, do you think the 1L who just got his computer stolen
(3 days before finals) needs to be reminded that he shouldn't leave his stuff unattended? Why not just tell him its his fault? I hope TG punches you in the skull and knocks some compassion into you.

cadoner said...

It probably would've been better to remind him of this before the incident occurred. Also, not sure who TG is.

Mellow down, bud.

mcfrenchie said...

This is no time for blamming TG (the 1L whose laptop was stollen) or for turning against fellow blawggers. Try to be constructive- help TG if you can and don't leave your stuff around unattended. Oh yeah, and feel free to express your concerns with the library administration.

Anonymous said...

TG is this dude:

http://www.susumug.com/photo_window_fighter.php?hoto_num=13&bout_id=1566&fighter_i
d=1650

I'm guess that's what the commenter above was referring to!

cublawg said...

Share your outlines with TG, or he'll beat you senseless!!

thelawstudentformerlyknownas_ said...

Yeah, I figured everyone here knew there is a 1L who is a human weapon. A dangerous weapon with some crazy videos on youtube. This guy punches people in the dome, persumably for many reasons (ok, most involving plastic trophies or cash). This week, particularly, I'd imagine those who steal his computer before finals, or nah-nah him about it, would be on dangerous grounds. Actually, dont worry about it, he's a really nice guy.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

TG = badass. I'm sure he's bumming, but if there's anyone who isn't going to let it faze them, it'd be him. I mean the guy must've seen some serious shit in the Ring of Death.

As for leaving stuff around the library, I've done it many times. It's a habit from college. We had an extremely strong honor code (you'd be expelled for stealing someone's laptop), so it was never a real worry about another student ganking your stuff. People off the streets stuck out like a sore thumb. In this situation, I imagine it was someone from the general public. Let's try to make sure we watch each other's stuff and back each other up. As much as I'd like to, I wouldn't put the blame at the library admin's feet. I think it was a freak (and extremely unfortunate) event.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

So much for "poor little 1L" (which was a joke anyway, but I didn't realize how much of a joke it was until I saw TG in action.)

I'm sure TG has been inundated with outlines. The email that AZ got re: cooperation at CU had to have been written by some kind of outlier. I have been amazed (yet again) at the end of the semester by the kindnesses people have shown me. I've been offered notes, outlines, and supplements by different people in different classes to help me prepare for finals. No begging or pleading necessary. What makes it even more amazing is that I generally fly a bit under the radar. I don't really socialize too often with law students, and I'm not part of any particular group of friends. But for everyone who's helped someone out this semester-- not just me but anyone-- a big shout out.

samrich said...

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

Unknown said...

Did everyone get the email about donations for a new laptop for TG? Thoughts?

Coffinberry said...

It's an invitation to an opportunity to do an anonymous kindness. No problem with that.

mcfrenchie said...

It is great! Really, it is the kind of thing that I would hope many would participate in- random acts of kindness!

memphis minnie said...

after chatting w/ a friend, i realized it was a good thing i bought such a cheap crap laptop for school. i could have it stolen at least two or three times before it compares to the value of most people's laptops. mmmmmmm.

Mushroom Stamp said...

Man, this dude sitting by me in the library asked me to watch his stuff for a minute. It has been an hour and he still isn't back. Normally I wouldn't care, but I really have to piss. I don't know what to do; there isn't anyone else around to watch both our stuff. I do have an empty gatorade bottle, but I think there is a rule against peeing in the library.

This is unbelievable - undergrads have the run of the place, and I can't pee in a bottle!