Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rumors of our demise...


With graduation imminent, there's been some talk (behind the scenes) as to whether the bLAWg would survive the departure of its primary editorial staff, myself and Bolder Law. I am happy to announce, however, that Memphis Minnie and Rice Eater agreed to take over. And while this is probably not my last post, I ask that you indulge me a bit.

Simply put, it's been a blast running this beast. We've tried to keep the criticism constructive without losing the salient wit, and to maintain a respectful but honest sense of humor. The discourse has sometimes reached a level that I find unfortunate, but I suppose that's what happens when you have a semi-anonymous readership, a semi-anonymous (20-person) membership, and a strong belief in the First Amendment. In the realm of unintended consequences, Bolder and I lost most of our anonymity, but for me at least I feel good in thinking that I've never stated anything here that I wouldn't have said in person to those concerned. Nevertheless, I'm done fielding emails and being told that "someone [wink wink] should say something on the bLAWg about [insert issue here]..."

I hope that Rice and Memphis will keep things above board, and that this forum will keep going for years to come. I also hope that the membership will maintain pressure on those who need it, to state interesting and challenging things, and to call "bullsh!t" when it's plainly apparent. Most importantly, however, I hope that Rice and Memphis are willing to take the hit and pull particularly noxious material that plainly crosses the line. Because ultimately, the bLAWg is about making CU Law a better place for everyone.

Thanks for reading.

18 comments:

memphis minnie said...

what a sad picture. take care and think of us fondly.

As for the other stuff, I agree w/ HS & Bolder- let's try to be constructive.

And as for the bad stuff, please don't do things that will make your comments get deleted.
I don't want to have to be the Decider.

Good luck with finals everyone

memphis minnie said...

p.s.
i mean constructive like trying to improve. Not like 'darn library full of undergrads. though the walls sure are pretty'

notjustlaw said...

MM, encourage others to contribute from May to July. Reading the bLAWg will be a great distraction during bar review.

notjustlaw said...

Oh and HS and BL. Excellent work. BL for getting this whole thing rolling for us 3L's (along with the continued posts the last two years) and for HS for taking the hits he has. I'll never forget your getting called out in CLASS by professors about the BLAWG...

memphis minnie said...

NJL- I'd be happy to keep you all entertained. How about summer job nonsense & rants?

Ouch about the class outing by profs. I'd love to have seen it though.
Shizzle.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

HS and Bolder, you guys have been great. I will miss you terribly. Good luck to the new mods. Long live the blawg. :)

cadoner said...

An era has come to an end.

RIP

Coffinberry said...

Blessings,

Mushroom Stamp said...

I would miss you guys a lot more if anonymous commenting was turned back on.

Scott Turner said...

The King/Queen is Dead. Long live the King/Queen. MM, as our fair president has taught us, it is OK to be a "Decider." Just don't start any wars. Or take down posts linking to nude law students with their naughty bits covered by copies of the FRCP.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Will you guys be contributing in the future? At least on the occasional basis?

cublawg said...

Never say never. Past the bar exam, however, I will lose access to my better gossip sources and muses: undergrads, the law library, certain bureaucratic conduct, overzealous use of email, and David Hill.

vive_la_reve2 said...

This is a sad day.... Thank you HM and BL for all your insight and wonderful administration of this hallowed forum of public discussion. (Despite Mstamp's comment, I believe that a little discretionary deletion is appropriate once and again to keep the hoi paloi cognizant of their duty to comment intelligently).

I just hope that you had the foresight to leave it in competent hands. Only the crush of time will tell.

Kudos to you.

Adios amigos, y vaya con huevos grandes.

Michael A. Smeenk, Esq. said...

This is sad. I started reading CU blogs back with Buffs, linked over from xoxo as a 0L. I really wish I knew who that was, because I appreciated his/her insight throughout the process. Thanks to the admins here for keeping things up.

naechstehaltestelle said...

HS, BL....waaaaah! It's the end of an era. I can't even tell you what a joy it's been to be part of this blog, even though I have nothing CU law related to say most of the time. I do remember that crazy summer when I took the bar and the Blawg provided countless hours of entertainment. I'll miss you guys. Oh, and don't forget about BAFFLE SCARF.

cublawg said...

I'm guessing that's a mnemonic for something?

Anonymous said...

Time to reveal yourselves. mostly the admins...and let us applaud you publicly for all your contributions and keeping the integrity of the blog!

naechstehaltestelle said...

My mnemonic device for crim law bar stuff