Construction began in July of that year on the imposing two-storied structure. Designed by state architect John F. Stanton, it was built in the style called “American Renaissance” with a four-column façade resembling a Greek temple. According to the Graduate Magazine, “no building on the University campus has been viewed with so nearly universal satisfaction as the new home of the School of Law. It is indeed a beautiful and impressive structure.” Inside, there was plenty of space for the University’s extensive law library, plus room for offices, classrooms, and a mock courtroom where future lawyers could hone their skills. The building resembled no other on campus. Its classical and stately appearance met with near unanimous acclaim, not least from the law students and Dean Green.
In the fall of 1905, with the new building still nameless, law students held a public meeting where they voted to petition the Regents to christen it Green Hall, after their beloved dean. They also expressed concern over how much access (if any) the general student body would have: “This is our building,” insisted one future lawyer, “and if we want to keep our furniture nice we must keep them [the undergraduates] out.” The Regents agreed, on both counts, and resolved not only to name the building Green Hall, but also saw to it, according to KU historian Robert Taft, that other classes “were withdrawn from the sacred domain of law.”
http://www.kuhistory.com/proto/story.asp?id=19
9 comments:
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."
I was about to put up a post about the increasing traffic in the library. It hasn't been nearly the contentious issue it was last semester, but I think friction may start building in the next couple weeks. I wonder when the library peeps will start restricting access.
Note that they didn't need waterless urinals to have a Green Hall. Ha.
Gross. I forgot about the vat of urine during finals week last semester. I am more worried about that than increased library traffic. And maybe the homeless people showering on the second floor.
I wish law students and the law school got the same kind of respect at CU.
Law students unite! After last semester I would say arm yourselves with camera phones and antibacterial hand gel. They are smart though, those crafty undergrads... last night I caught the notorious greek-lettered-sweats-with-furry-boots-group collecting at a few tables and taking "law books" off the shelves to shield themselves from us. I told them the "law books" would not help with the algebra they were working on.
I suppose it's comforting that there were elitist and pretentious law students a century ago, too.
Ahh, the magic of waterless urinals. The idea is fine except it requires, oh I don't know, changing the cartridges more then once a semester.
anyone using the library should have respect for the rules and furnishings...
However, closing our doors to members of the community is the wrong approach- as future members of the profession it is our responsibility to encourage accessibility and interest in the study of the law. Taking a pretentious, ivory tower approach clouds our higher calling as public servants responsible for insuring equal access to justice and the legal system.
If closing our doors to the members is the wrong approach, then what is the "right" approach, when there are STILL undergrads who do not have the basic manners or consideration for others to not to use the cell phones loudly even at the most quiet areas of the library, such as the basement?
Am I suppose to get up and tell the undergrads to be quiet everytime they come to the library to talk to each other loudly or to talk on the their cells? Or move my seat every time that happens? It's one thing to tell them to be quiet once or twice, but with finals coming up I see more undergrads and more of these inconsiderate acts. How am I suppose to study when I need to get up from my seat and tell them to be quiet every time they act in the most annoying manner?
Being open to the community is great but it is easy to see that some members do not have the same level of respect for the law school, other students, and the facilities of the building.
Some even lack the basic courtesy. It is frustrating to see law students being harmed by disruptions caused by those who lack the common courtesy.
Post a Comment